Melbourne to Brisbane in 16 days. Which way?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Melbourne to Brisbane in 16 days. Which way?

Postby Tigerben » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:31 am

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have two weeks off in late Feb and need to be in the Gold Coast at the end of it. So I might ride. But which way? I know the Victorian roads well, but:

What is the safest / most enjoyable way from the Vic Alps, avoiding Sydney, and up through NSW?

There are several related posts and blogs on the web, including on this site, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive town-by-town road route, which seems strange. Any suggestions of roads / towns to aim for or avoid?

Realise this is an exceedingly ambitious ride for 16 days, but can chuck the bike on a train here or there when necessary, and might plan to once route in known. Am a fit, experienced rider (but not tourer) and just want to have a crack and see how far I get! Obviously time of ride and direction are not negotiable.

Thanks in advance and cheers,

TB
(Melbourne)
Tigerben

by BNA » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 am

BNA

Postby banjo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 am

TB, How much gear are you carrying? That will make a big difference. There are plenty of routes you can go depending on personal preference. I did the Princes Hwy to Sydney and the Pacific to Brisbane in 21 riding days and 4 rest days carrying a full touring load. If you're travelling with a credit card on a road bike 16 days is quite possible. Another option is to go straight up the Newell. I have had many people advise me to stay off the highways etc but the highways are better graded, wider and you get a good shoulder to ride on most times. If you're after speed, go the most direst route on the best roads. If its about the journey and the scenery, go the backroads. Whatever you do in late Feb, its gunna be hot!

Good luck
banjo

Postby Tigerben » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:08 am

Thanks,

I'll be doing the 'credit card' journey. So will be able to make relatively good time. Willing to ride an extra 200kms or so if it means nicer and safer riding, just looking for someone to say (as you've done) DON'T ride this road, or DO ride that one.

Thanks for the tips,

TB
Tigerben

Postby stubbie » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:13 am

I've been researching this route in the opposite direction lately from the point of doing it from Byron Bay to Melbourne in the cooler months of the year. At Christmas I checked it out in the car going south to visit relatives. Coming from your end think Albury, Wagga, Junee, Cootamundra, Young, Cowra, Molong, Wellington, Gulgong, Coolah, Werris Creek, Tamworth, Armidale etc.
It's a great route on mostly flat to gently rolling terrain on the inland slopes of the Great Divide, Roads are in good shape with mostly local traffic, and towns are close enough together to breakfast in one, lunch in another and sleep in the third. The only big climb is the Moonbi Hills between Tamworth and Armidale where I'd consider taking the train for the short trip (1 hour) up to Armidale.
From Armidale you've got the choice of dropping down to the coast from several points: Glen Innes-Grafton, Tenterfield-Lismore or continuing through Stanthorpe and Cunningham's Gap to Brisbane.

What are you riding? If it's towards the hybrid end of the scale I could point out a few shortcuts
Gravity will never let you down.
stubbie

Return to Touring Australia