MTB with touring geometry?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

MTB with touring geometry?

Postby mattD110td5x » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:02 am

I met up with a Dutch guy riding through NZ and I'm inspired.

He had a touring mtb with what he called "touring geometry" I'm guessing that the fork angle was a little less twitchie,
and front suspension forks with lockout, 14sp rolfe.
all up rig weight was about 50kg.

I can't remember the brand - it looked like a perfect setup - any ideas on the brand?

- also a technical question - I would have thought that if you were using suspension forks it would be better to have the front panniers attached to the bike not the axle so it would not be unsprund weight - is that a good idea? is it possible?

thanks guys,
Matthew
mattD110td5x

by BNA » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:55 am

BNA

Postby Chatbox » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:55 am

Panniers at the front are attached to the lower (un-suspended) section of the fork. So it doesn't matter whether the panniers are attached to the fork or to the axle.
Chatbox

Postby banjo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't know much about touring geometries but I tour on a Giant XTC3 and it works fine. Front panniers are mounted on low rider racks atttached to front forks which works great. My suspension is getting on a bit and doesn't lock out anymore so that affects the steering slightly with a handlbar bag in that I sometimes get a slight flutter (the bike not me) but I'm used to it. My bike isn't light but its solid and rugged and hasn't let me down yet, touring or commuting.
banjo

Re: MTB with touring geometry?

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:59 pm

mattD110td5x wrote:I can't remember the brand - it looked like a perfect setup - any ideas on the brand?

From your brief description and his nationality I'd say probably a Koga Miyata, probably the World Traveller?

[edit] Ah!! No Rohloff :oops: . Maybe he's converted it, or else maybe it's a Thorn Raven Nomad

Or with front suspension, something like the Thorn Raven Sterling

There are lots of truly wonderful touring machines avilable in the larger market of Europe 8)

mattD110td5x wrote:all up rig weight was about 50kg.

:shock: I take it you are referring to bike + panniers here??

mattD110td5x wrote:also a technical question - I would have thought that if you were using suspension forks it would be better to have the front panniers attached to the bike not the axle so it would not be unsprund weight - is that a good idea? is it possible?

Yes, it's theoretically the better option to keep the unsprung wheel as light as possible, hence more responsive to bumps. In practice most racks are not designed for this. There are some racks that can be adapted to mount on the lower suspension legs and a few that are designed for this. The exception is the Tubus Swing (very durable)

Imagewhich has mounts solely on the fork crown and steerer.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Re: MTB with touring geometry?

Postby mattD110td5x » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:38 pm

il padrone wrote:From your brief description and his nationality I'd say probably a Koga Miyata, probably the World Traveller?

yes you are 100% correct it was a koga - if you ferrit the web site there is a fantastic customisation app called signature, I can assemble an exact copy; lockout suspension forks and rolfe, even the 1.5L coke bottle holder!

but well over 3,000Eu :(

mattD110td5x wrote:all up rig weight was about 50kg.

yeh yeh yeh --> 20kg bike with empty panniers,
30kg food/tent/clothes/electronics gadgets

thanks all,
ttfn Matthew
mattD110td5x

Return to Touring Australia