Trailers - Burly, BOB, TWBents, etc....

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Trailers - Burly, BOB, TWBents, etc....

Postby Caelum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Too many options..

Obviously, BOB is one of the more common choices, i was just wonder if anyone has info about the other options..

ie.

Burly Nomad
TWBents BOB clone; or
Any others...

Australia wide touring duty is the name of the game here, looking to be for ~7000km, and 4-5 months...

Also, anyone know of a store(WA preferred) where i can still get a BOB Yak for not too many dollars? It looks like most have put the prices up to closer to $600 now, where they were hovering around $450 about 6 months back...

Thoughts, suggestions, experiences etc welcome.

Cheers folks!

Cael.
Caelum

by BNA » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm

BNA

Postby Earthy Ochre Man » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:21 pm

3-4 weeks ago I saw a BOB Yak trailer at Anaconda Innaloo for $500.00 - it might have been on sale... or try http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod321.htm
Earthy Ochre Man

Postby Caelum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:16 pm

Dean Woods and their wholesaler are out of stock for atleast another 4 weeks...

Might have to try anaconda though...
Caelum

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:45 pm

Quite some time ago now, but Fleet Cycles in Freo had a Yak on their floor for ages. Give them a try - ya never know.

I reckon Ideal Cycles (one of our members) would also be able to get them in for you.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Postman Pat » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi I have a twbent Single wheel trailer my only comment is that mine folds fairly flat so that it can be put in the boot of the car if i need it to.
Postman Pat

Postby Caelum » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Postman Pat wrote:Hi I have a twbent Single wheel trailer my only comment is that mine folds fairly flat so that it can be put in the boot of the car if i need it to.

You don't have any negative feedback about it at all?

I'm going to be relying on this thing for months to get my gear around aus... so if there's any little things that i should be aware of, i'd rather know now rather than in the middle of the desert! :)

Thanks for the other suggestions too people, will look into it.
Caelum

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Craig from Just Bents sells the TW-bent version (or a rip-off made by the same company in Taiwan? Not about that.) Send him an email and ask him if he's had any come back. He also does them at a very competitive rate. His web site is justbents.com.au

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Caelum wrote:I'm going to be relying on this thing for months to get my gear around aus... so if there's any little things that i should be aware of, i'd rather know now rather than in the middle of the desert! :)

Panniers on the bike are a better balanced and lighter way to carry your camping gear. A trailer is useful if you intend to carry a lot of gear, but you are paying a ~10kg weight penalty.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Caelum » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 am

Well most of the trailers i'm looking at are between 6-7kgs, but yes, point taken.

The other advantage of trailers over panniers is the lower wind resistance and lower wear and tear on the bike itself...

I'll have some odd shaped loads with me, so i'm almost 100% sold on a trailer.
Caelum

Postby il padrone » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:18 am

Caelum wrote:Well most of the trailers i'm looking at are between 6-7kgs, but yes, point taken.

Yes, I did over-estimate it. My BOB (without the bag) weighs 6kg. Pannier racks have a weight of ~1kg (total for front and rear). When using a BOB, for more stable steering and handling you should at least use a front rack and panniers.

Caelum wrote:The other advantage of trailers over panniers is the lower wind resistance and lower wear and tear on the bike itself...

Never known of any wear and tear on the bike from racks and panniers :? :?: . Maybe there'd be some paint damage if you don't have braze-on pannier mounts and use P-clamps instead.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Postman Pat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:28 pm

Caelum wrote:
Postman Pat wrote:Hi I have a twbent Single wheel trailer my only comment is that mine folds fairly flat so that it can be put in the boot of the car if i need it to.

You don't have any negative feedback about it at all?

I'm going to be relying on this thing for months to get my gear around aus... so if there's any little things that i should be aware of, i'd rather know now rather than in the middle of the desert! :)

Thanks for the other suggestions too people, will look into it.

I have also noticed that the bike moves around more with the trailer pushing it around a little bit not enough to be dangerous but annoying none the less it seems to be mostly when dodging pot hole etc.., the lighter the bike the more it seems to happen(I went from an Avanti aluminium to a giant OCR carbon) also turning and backing up can be a problem as well if you turn to tight the trailer drops sideways and grounds it self (handy when parking the bike)I also made a set of legs that drop down to be a stand for the trailer with picks the forum link is here.
http://bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic ... highlight=
Sorry I don't know how to edit links :oops:
The other thing I have done is find a box that fits snugly in to the trailer so that my briefcase and odd and ends fit in. I use a strap to hold it closed I also fitted a flasher to it so that cars behind see 2 flashes and wheel reflectors for side on views (i might also fit one of these valve lights that screw on to the car tyre valve and light up with different colours because I commute a 5 am most days)so making myself seen on country roads is a priority
ok so who is going to complain about the essay :lol: :wink:
Postman Pat

Postby Caelum » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:36 am

il padrone wrote:
Caelum wrote:Well most of the trailers i'm looking at are between 6-7kgs, but yes, point taken.

Yes, I did over-estimate it. My BOB (without the bag) weighs 6kg. Pannier racks have a weight of ~1kg (total for front and rear). When using a BOB, for more stable steering and handling you should at least use a front rack and panniers.

Caelum wrote:The other advantage of trailers over panniers is the lower wind resistance and lower wear and tear on the bike itself...

Never known of any wear and tear on the bike from racks and panniers :? :?: . Maybe there'd be some paint damage if you don't have braze-on pannier mounts and use P-clamps instead.

Most panniers i've looked at have been about 1.7-1.9kg for two. Double that for four obviously. So lets say 3.5kg. Then 600-700gr for a rear rack, so 4.2, then probably 400-600 for a front rack... so 4.8kg.

The extra wear and tear on the bike due to the fact that ALL the weight carried is put on two wheels. With a trailer that will take atleast 60% of the weight carried, so if ~30kg of weight, that's 17Kg that has been taken off the pressure put on the wheelset of the bike, and onto the smaller and stronger 16" wheel of the trailer.

Pure physics. :)
Caelum

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm

My solution is to go light-weight with your gear. You don't exactly need a 4-man tent, gas stove, camp chair and a TV (I exaggerate a bit). I use some fairly basic Tioga panniers, and I re-enforce it by running extra straps externally which brace the weight against the rack. Pack both sides evenly and its a success. Yes, you do lose a fair amount of performance caused by wind drag. If you want to retain performance pack ultra-light and only use rack-top and handle-bar bags. This creates the least wind resistance of all, but you are really roughing it then!

I've heard that two-wheel trailers interfere less with a bicycle's performance and because they sit in the drafting area they give fairly little resistance. They also have the advantage many commercial ones are rated to carry 45kg's, which is just not a good idea to carry on a standard bicycle frame. You'd need a heavier frame like what Australia Post uses.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am

I've also got a TW Bents cargo trailer (the BoB copy). Pretty much what Postman Pat said WRT handing etc. I don't use mine often but when I do it's usually hauling a decent load, I think my best was 2 x 12.5 kg bags of dog food + a big box of laundry powder. With a load like that you can feel a bit of "wag the dog" but it's manageable.

For the price (IIRC I got mine for $280) you can't go wrong if a trailer is what you're after IMO.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC
lemmiwinks

Postby Caelum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Yeah, i am going to be going ultralight, where possible/reasonable.

ie, i have a lightweight tent, and most of my other gear is pretty light too.

But there are some things that aren't worth compromising with - ie, sleeping mat i ended up going with a thermarest prolite 4, rather than a prolite 3.

When on the road/camping for 4+ months, a little bit of comfort goes a long way.

The only thing i'm not sure on at the moment is how i'm going to carry all my water needed for some of the longer stints. I'm thinking that i'll carry some on the trailer, and some on the bike.
Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:10 pm

Just got home.

Headed out to anaconda and grabbed myself the BOB Yak they had in stock(the only one sorry guys!)

Managed to get them to price-match from deanwoods direct, which worked out to be 494(35 postage from DWD)

so not a bad deal, all in all... Could have grabbed a second hand one in a month or two for 350, but decided i'd rather go for a new one.

If anyone is after a BOB Yak, second hand, with dry sak, for $350, let me know, and i'll pass on the details to you.
Caelum

Postby kukamunga » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:58 am

There's a BOB Yak in Melbourne in near new condition on ebay at the moment finishing at 2pm tomorrow here (no, I don't know the seller)
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby heavymetal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Postman Pat wrote:I have also noticed that the bike moves around more with the trailer pushing it around a little bit not enough to be dangerous but annoying none the less it seems to be mostly when dodging pot hole etc.., the lighter the bike the more it seems to happen

I counter this by running small Ortleib front panniers when needed. The weight can be adjusted on the fly, by shifting the stuff from the panniers into the BOB and back again.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Caelum » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:20 am

Well i had my first real field test today...

Bottle-o run to the shops for a slab of beer.

Weight was definitely noticeable, however once up to speed, there was little issue - obviously felt that there was something behind me, and it required more gojuice for me to spin the right RPM, but it wasn't uncomfortable or difficult at all...

Will need to load it up properly soon, and do a nice daytrip somewhere with it.
Caelum

Postby il padrone » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:00 am

Just be very careful on the braking..... on downhills parrticularly :o

Sudden stops can throw the trailer sideways, jack-knife-style, if it's very heavy.
il padrone

Postby heavymetal » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Detail wrote:I've heard of some mad types getting up to 80km/hour with these things on the back. Now that would be scary.

:D Done it fully loaded (weight, not beer):D

On the right bike it's fine. The touring bike has a longer wheelbase so it doesn't seem to affect it. I wouldn't want to stop in a hurry though.

I found on an MTB even with front panniers, it was highly unstable at about 45 km/h. Too scary for anything faster.

Frame material also seems to have an effect regarding speed wobbles. My aluminium frame doesn't seem to suffer with speed wobbles. My old MTB had too much frame flex and used to get speed wobbles with the loaded BOB trailer.

Kev.
There is only one BicycleWA.
heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Detail wrote:I've heard of some mad types getting up to 80km/hour with these things on the back. Now that would be scary.

Ummm.... now that would be me, I guess? :oops: On our 'Edge of the World' tour.

79kmh down Black Bluff, near Cradle Mt. Over a cattle grid mid-descent :shock:! This is the view from the top of Black Bluff - Cradle Mt on the left horizon, the road is below on the lower left.

But with my daughter on the tandem and four fully-loaded panniers, the trailer was well anchored. Here's our tandem

We had no real worries. Oh yeah, and we got to that 79kmh just by rolling off the top!! Reeoowwwwwwrrr... prrrrppp... rooooowwrrrrrrr! 8)
il padrone

Next

Return to Touring Australia