Bicycle Touring the Outback Way

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Bicycle Touring the Outback Way

Postby Outback » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:04 pm

G'Day
Just posting a question on this Touring Forum.Has anyone out there in Australia cycled the Outback Way,mainly the Section from Kalgoorlie to Alice Springs(Great Central Road).Looking at doing it this August 2009.I have cycled Cape York 1999,Oodnadatta Track 2007 then last year Outback Queensland 2008,so i know what i'am in for.Mainly the road experiences if anyone has done this kind of trip.Anyones input would be great.
Outback

by BNA » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:28 pm

BNA

Re: Bicycle Touring the Outback Way

Postby backroads » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:28 pm

G'day Outback,

Sounds like a great trip that you're planning. It is likely to be fairly rugged trip. How long do you expect to take.

I am interested in the Oodnadatta track. I was just talking about it today. I have driven it several times and have always wanted to do it under my own power. I was thinking of walking it for a long time but now I am hoping to do it on 2 wheels. How did you go for supplies, especially water?
backroads

Postby Outback » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:44 pm

G'day Backroads
I cycled the Oodnadatta Track over ten days,between Marree and Marla a distance of over 600 kilometers in August 2007.There are small places every 200 kms,starting with Marree then William Creek,Oodnadatta and finishing at Marla on the Stuart Highway.Most places sell junk food with small amount of decent food,I would mail food parcels so you have choice of food to eat along the track.Water you will have to carry a lot of it between the places.I carried 10 litres via 1 litre water bottles(5),3 litre camelbak and 4 litre water bag. Water I would buy it when in the places on the track or make donations.At the time of the year i did the track i would cycle it south to north due to the wind direction being in your favour.I hope this helps.Cheers Outback
Outback

Postby timbo » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:55 pm

No doubt you have looked up the Outback Way website at www.outbackway.org.au

I haven't done the trip myself though.

You might like to ask people on 4WD forums (they will all tell you that you are mad probably).
timbo

Postby backroads » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for the advice outback re the Oodnadatta track. I first drove it 20 something years ago and then again in '99. I'd like to do it one day this time on a bike.

If Oodnadatta took you 10 days for 600km this trip of near 1900km could take you up to a month. Are you going further than Alice?

You may have already read the journal of a solo trip along the Canning Stock Route. I'd say your ride will be just as epic as that one. http://www.wildworks.co.nz/csr/route.php
Are you going solo or will you have support.

Safe journey
backroads

Postby Outback » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:21 pm

G'day
Yes i'am looking at doing the Great Central Road from Kalgoorie to Alice Springs.Have done a bit of research and found that doing this road road solo,the councils will not issue a permit due to me cycling by myself.This i have found out from visiting their websites.So do still want to do it but find some company to do it with in the future(not given up yet).Have veiwed the guy who cycled the CSR,yes they don't nickname WA the sandgropers for no reason.Well thinking about it,i have not cycled in WA yet,but the GCR still in the back of my mind.thank you for your posts.Cheers Outback
Outback

Postby Outback » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm

G'day
Yes looking at 4 weeks.Mountain bike towing Bob trailer withe two rear panniers.Have looked at Andrew's website,the photos are good value.Cheers Outback
Outback

Postby backroads » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:26 am

Hi outback,

If you are looking for someone to join you I might throw my hat in the ring. It is a massive commitment and I would have to give it serious consideration but the idea sure excites me. For me it would be the adventure of a lifetime. So if you need an extra body along let's talk.
backroads

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

About 15 years ago there was a guy from Sydney, in his 60s, called Larry Nolan (?) who cycled along th Uluru-Warburton- Laverton Road. He also cycled many other remote outback routes eg.Tanami Track, Oodnadatta Track, Plenty Hwy, Matilda Way to the Gulf etc. All his travels were done on a pretty standard touring bike with not-so-wide tyres IIRC. Some articles written by him were published in Australian Cyclist magazine during this time. People I spoke to about touring the outback commented that they'd often bump into, or hear of him in the remotest places :)
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby rustguard » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:59 pm

I read a book a few years ago about a guy from Perth who had a picture of the Olgas hanging on his wall, he said he started to get an overwhelming desire to see the real thing . he literally rode from his front door across oz on I think from memory a 10speed road bike. The amount of spokes he went through was pretty high. I cant remember if he rode back from Queensland I think he might of. I googled but was unable to remember the name of his book, though I know he went to my ex motherinlaws church. the book had a pic of the Olgas on the cover. might remember the name in a few days?
rustguard

Postby hartleymartin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:44 pm

36-spoke MTB wheels with sturdy stainless steel spokes should hold up better than road bicycle wheels.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby rustguard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:04 pm

from the look of the photos it was maybe low end 10speed, 27 inch, defiantly 36spoke and very likely single wall; still he seemed to be content to constantly change spokes, the important thing is he just did it, enjoyed it. which is more than I am doing unfortunately. :cry:

hartleymartin wrote:36-spoke MTB wheels with sturdy stainless steel spokes should hold up better than road bicycle wheels.

no argument here, but good wheels should be double walled also welded not riveted.
rustguard

Postby theMISSIONARY » Thu May 14, 2009 11:09 pm

three corner jacks are everywhere near Kal so Tubes tubes and more tubes :wink:
theMISSIONARY

Return to Touring Australia