Popular Bike Shops
Join the Cycling Forums on Strava
Australian Cycling Forums on Strava
Latest Reviews and Articles
Will your next bike be Intelligent? ABS and Smart Bike Tech
Vitus Vitesse EVO Disc Review – Speed Machine indeed!
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:46 pm
I've now a departure date of 27/7, doing the ride with a responder to this forum.
With a firm date to work to I'm updaing this post to extend the invite to anyone else interested in coming along to a great adventure, get on board if you're keen.
Iâ€™m planning on cycling from Cairns to Cape York in June or July and looking for anyone interested in joining. I was organising it with two others but for various reasons theyâ€™ve had to pull out but I'm going anyway.
Two approaches for the trip:
1. Self support â€“ panniers carrying all supplies
2. Engage a guide with 4wd to carry tents, food etc so cyclists can focus solely on pushing the pedals around (Iâ€™ve costing for this).
Iâ€™m flexible on which model to chose, the second one is a fair bit dearer but would add a lot to the ease and safety of the trip.
The route will take about 20-25 days with distances around 50-60km a day. If youâ€™re unsure you could make it, remember you can walk at 5km/hr so even at walking pace you cover this in a day, and thereâ€™s plenty of time to get fit between now and then. Iâ€™ll be keen on an easy pace, Iâ€™ve never been up that far north in Oz before so I'll be taking my time to smell the roses.
So if this sounds like your kind of trip, drop me a line and Iâ€™ll send you the other details I have (route, gear etc).
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:53 am
- Location: Brisbane
Be safe, and enjoy. Cheers, Russ.
- il padrone
- Posts: 22931
- Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
- Location: Heading for home.
- General Australian Cycling Topics
- Info / announcements
- Buying a bike / parts
- General Cycling Discussion
- The Bike Shed
- Cycling Health
- Cycling Safety and Advocacy
- Women's Cycling
- Bike & Gear Reviews
- Cycling Trade
- Stolen Bikes
- Bicycle FAQs
- Serious Biking
- Audax / Randonneuring
- Retro biking
- Fixed Gear/ Single Speed
- Electric Bicycles
- Dragsters / Lowriders / Cruisers
- Children's Bikes
- Road Racing
- Road Biking
- Time Trial
- International and National Tours and Events
- Cycle Touring
- Touring Australia
- Touring Overseas
- Touring Bikes and Equipment
- Western Australia
- New South Wales
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
- Country & Regional
- The Market Place
- Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales
- Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap
- My Bikes or Gear Elsewhere
- Cycling Brands
- Malvern Star
- Custom Builders
- Generic Carbon
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users
About the Australian Cycling Forums
The largest cycling discussion forum in Australia for all things bike; from new riders to seasoned bike nuts, the Australian Cycling Forums are a welcoming community where you can ask questions and talk about the type of bikes and cycling topics you like.