Adelaide to Darwin or Darwin to Adelaide

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Adelaide to Darwin or Darwin to Adelaide

Postby Halley2324 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:04 am

Hi

I am looking to travel the Stuart Highway from Darwin to Port Augusta or Port Augusta to Darwin. I will be doing it in June/July. After researching many people that have done it I have mixed feelings on which way to travel.

Does anyone have any advice on which way to go.
Halley2324

by BNA » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am

BNA

Re: Adelaide to Darwin or Darwin to Adelaide

Postby hartleymartin » Fri May 22, 2009 9:38 am

The same way the prevalent winds are blowing (ie. have tail winds for the whole trip)
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Postby timbo » Fri May 22, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree with hartleymartin about the wind directions, except you mainly hear about easterlies and westerlies, not northerlies and southerlies.

The uphill vs downhill debate is basically non-existant as the terrain is very flat considering the distance covered.

Heading south you have the sun on your back and not in your eyes.

Darwin is a nice place to finish a ride, and being still hot, you will enjoy the celebration beers even more.

Check the north vs south wind directions and use that as a major consideration. From what I am led to believe, this will mean a south to north ride (don't quote me though).

Let us know what you decide, and keep up updated on the trip as you go.
timbo

Postby Halley2324 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. I have looked at the wind directions. It looks like there is some strong winds coming from the South East when down in South Australia so could be a huge help. However it looks like the same from Darwin with winds generally coming from the Noth West.
Halley2324

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 23, 2009 3:51 pm

Halley2324 wrote:Thanks for all your help guys. I have looked at the wind directions. It looks like there is some strong winds coming from the South East when down in South Australia so could be a huge help. However it looks like the same from Darwin with winds generally coming from the Noth West.

G'day

Not sure where you are getting the wind information, but Adelaide in July seems to have north to north east prevailing winds in the morning, well according to BOM anyway. Have you looked at the historical climate data at BOM? Darwin tends to be more easterly to south easterly in July.

Personally I would go with the dominate wind direction for most of the ride. You are always going to get bad days so try to work towards minimising them.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby butty » Sat May 23, 2009 7:23 pm

Hi

I've only done part of that trip (i.e from Three Ways in the NT to Darwin), and the wind was blowing from the south every day - it was great!

Oh, that was in late April/early May.
butty

Postby cannond » Tue May 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Rode Adelaide to Darwin in 2008 April May. Had mostly tailwinds, some cross. Met a lot of cyclists coming from Darwin cursing the headwinds. Only one way to go...
cannond

Return to Touring Australia