Alice Springs to Perth

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:42 am

Hi, I'm looking at riding from the Alice to Perth and will have numerous support vehicles along the way.

I was wondering if people could help me out with bike specifications? What should I be looking at riding?
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

by BNA » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 am

BNA
 

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:49 am

G'day Missy,

If you have numerous support vehicles, you might be able to have a couple of bikes too. You'll need a solid mountain bike for the trip from Uluru to Laverton (soft sand and corrugations), but from Alice to Uluru and Laverton to Perth, it's sealed road and a touring or road bike will do the job.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 am

Kalgrm wrote:G'day Missy,

If you have numerous support vehicles, you might be able to have a couple of bikes too. You'll need a solid mountain bike for the trip from Uluru to Laverton (soft sand and corrugations), but from Alice to Uluru and Laverton to Perth, it's sealed road and a touring or road bike will do the job.

Cheers,
Graeme


Hi Graeme

Thanks for the info.

I'm thinking for the the sealed road part a 2009 Scott Contessa CR1 Pro will do the job?

TX
Missy
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Assuming you don't have to carry any panniers with you (ie a fully supported ride), and the bike fits you properly, I can't see any good reason not to ride that bike on the sealed sections. Remember though, you'll be spending up to 8 hours a day on the bike, so it has to be comfortable for you.

cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Thks again...

Missy
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:56 pm

Kalgrm wrote:G'day Missy,

If you have numerous support vehicles, you might be able to have a couple of bikes too. You'll need a solid mountain bike for the trip from Uluru to Laverton (soft sand and corrugations)


G'day

Or something like a Surly Puglsey would be good. See this website on riding the Canning Stock Route for ideas

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 19395
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Kalgrm wrote:G'day Missy,

If you have numerous support vehicles, you might be able to have a couple of bikes too. You'll need a solid mountain bike for the trip from Uluru to Laverton (soft sand and corrugations)


G'day

Or something like a Surly Puglsey would be good. See this website on riding the Canning Stock Route for ideas

Regards
Andrew


Thanks for the help, I was wondering about the mountain bike aspect of the trip, not something I know much about, the Surly Puglsey looks and sounds like a quality bike, and the price isn't through the roof.

Also the web address is great, my brother will be shocked when I send this all on to him... it was his idea and now I do the research :roll:

I think he just wants to go for a drive and watch me suffer :lol:

Thanks
Missy
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Are you thinking of traveling from Alice through Yulara, Warburton and Laverton? I used to live near Warburton so I can advise the road from Yulara, through Warburton to Laverton is better than the Canning Stock Route. Quality does depend on how recently its been graded though so is variable throughout the year. Likely it is going to be corrugated (gravelly) most of the way with some sections of deep sand which may be unrideable. I have not ridden there but my brother rode a mountainbike near that road and found the sand got so deep he would bog. That said, there is some very nice countryside out that way. It should be a great ride.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:56 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:Are you thinking of traveling from Alice through Yulara, Warburton and Laverton? I used to live near Warburton so I can advise the road from Yulara, through Warburton to Laverton is better than the Canning Stock Route. Quality does depend on how recently its been graded though so is variable throughout the year. Likely it is going to be corrugated (gravelly) most of the way with some sections of deep sand which may be unrideable. I have not ridden there but my brother rode a mountainbike near that road and found the sand got so deep he would bog. That said, there is some very nice countryside out that way. It should be a great ride.


I'm not sure on routes just yet, this only came up in conversation last night (less than 2 minutes and he says going for a run, do the research and call me in a week).

Might sound like a silly questions but what do you mean by, "how recently its been graded?"

It should be a good ride!
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Missy24 wrote:Might sound like a silly questions but what do you mean by, "how recently its been graded?"

If you cut from Yulara to Laverton the road is a dirt road from not far after the Olgas. The road becomes very rough from people driving over it, wind and rain. Periodically use graders to smooth out the road. The graded sections are very soft (nice to drive on but may be unrideable). In a few days to a few weeks after grading, the road would be good to ride on, but then it becomes rough again.

Your other option is to ride through Port Augusta and across the Nullarbor. That route is bitumen all the way.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:13 pm

I do like the idea of Bitamen all the way, but not as much of a challenge.

Thanks for the explanation, probably there will be room for 3-4 bikes so we can be a bit versitle with what we take!
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:33 pm

I just read Kate Leeming's Out There And Back about her 25,000km round Australia. She did the Canning Stock Route & it sounded like mental & physical hell. Good book for anyone wanting to tour this BIG country.

Missy, the route from Port Augusta (ugh..) to Perth isn't that bad. Just remember the road trains aren't your enemy, the other idiot drivers are!!! At least that's what we heard from some folks on our travels (driving..!!) to & from sydney at christmas.

I would love to ride from Port Augusta (ugh) to Coober Pedy as it's really beautiful up that way! Nice & desolate too :D

Good luck on your journey!
crazycanuck
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:51 pm
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:35 pm

Missy,

The Surly Pugsly has ultra-wide tyres fitted, making it possible to ride on very soft sand. That's why Andrew suggested it as a bike suitable for the ride you have planned. They can be ridden on sand-dunes when the appropriate tyre pressure is used, so no matter when the road was graded, you'll be fine on a Pugsly.

Oh, and you may need to get a special permit to camp along that stretch of road. You need a permit to drive on it, but one of the conditions is that you can't camp on anywhere except in the (infrequent) towns.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
User avatar
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 9236
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 5:21 pm
Location: Spearwood, 9km SE of Fremantle, WA

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:48 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Missy,

The Surly Pugsly has ultra-wide tyres fitted, making it possible to ride on very soft sand. That's why Andrew suggested it as a bike suitable for the ride you have planned. They can be ridden on sand-dunes when the appropriate tyre pressure is used, so no matter when the road was graded, you'll be fine on a Pugsly.

Oh, and you may need to get a special permit to camp along that stretch of road. You need a permit to drive on it, but one of the conditions is that you can't camp on anywhere except in the (infrequent) towns.

Cheers,
Graeme


I noticed the ultra-wide tyres and thought jeez... Good to hear so much support for the Pugsly, awesome amounts of information from you all!

Good tip about the permits, I saw that on one of the sites.

Thanks Graeme

crazycanuck: I'll have to check out the book, sounds like it will be a good read... if the route is that hellish I may consider an alternative.

Missy
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Missy24 wrote:crazycanuck: I'll have to check out the book, sounds like it will be a good read... if the route is that hellish I may consider an alternative.

The route from the Olgas to Laverton is pretty well traveled and it's a decent enough quality road. I wouldn't compare it to Canning Stock Route in terms of quality as it is so much better.
<removed by request>
User avatar
casual_cyclist
 
Posts: 6786
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 am
Location: Kewdale

Re: Alice Springs to Perth

Postby Missy24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:34 pm

casual_cyclist wrote:
Missy24 wrote:crazycanuck: I'll have to check out the book, sounds like it will be a good read... if the route is that hellish I may consider an alternative.

The route from the Olgas to Laverton is pretty well traveled and it's a decent enough quality road. I wouldn't compare it to Canning Stock Route in terms of quality as it is so much better.


I just hope I can keep my brother interested long enough to actually do the trip!

I really like to challenge myself and we've both really gotten in the outdoors over the past year and its great, just gotta get him riding a bit faster and further!
Missy24
 
Posts: 7198
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 2:28 pm
Location: Brunswick


Return to Touring Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist