Caelum cycles Australia...

Aushiker

Re: Caelum cycles Australia...

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:39 am

il padrone wrote:I'm not attempting to get into any sort of prolonged debate, however I have to point out that in the past 15 years I have closely observed 3 crashes of loaded touring cyclists on descents, two on gravel and one on tarmac.
Yep and people crash on bikes with panniers and without them ... :roll:

Regards
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:47 am

Oh, you are missing the point. 'Loss of control' crashes are something I very rarely see on our touring rides. These three stand out.

Whatever anyhow. It's just my opinion, let's leave it at that.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:36 pm

G;day Il Padrone,

Like to hear a bit about the Dunolly ride. It's one I want to do one day. One of my Ancestors apparently discovered the first Gold in the area. I believe it was to be the richest alluvial field in Vic.
John Lewis

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:36 pm

We did a three day tour starting from Bendigo, travelling along a mix of secondary roads and quiet country backroads, to Tarnagulla for the first night, camping , with some staying in a cabin. Then we continued on to Dunolly for morning tea at the wickedly scrumptious bakery. Then on very quiet roads to Maryborough and Talbot for our second night at Chesterfield House, which is a very special place giving marvellous accommodation for a quite reasonable price. If you book in for the third weekend of the month you will be in Talbot for their farmers' market (held on Sunday) which is also very special. The last day was a back track to Carisbrook and along more quiet roads to Maldon (Victoria's first notable town - declared by the National Trust) for lunch. Then we returned to Castlemaine for the train back to Melbourne.

Distances were a very achievable 50-70kms each day, and all the people in our group (11 riders) had a great time.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Thanks for that il padrone. There is an event at Waanyarra. Waanyarra reunion. Think the last was cancelled due bushfires. Probably try to get over to that and then ride the area. Waanyarra, Tarnagulla and Dunolly all feature in familly history. My great grandfather was a miner/prospector in Dunolly. It was his wife's father who discovered the gold. Others are buried at Tarnagulla and the family still has land round Jones Creek i believe.

I'd like to take a look and doing it on a bike is even better.

John Lewis

cavebear2

Postby cavebear2 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:59 am

il padrone wrote:if you want to use a trailer, run it with front panniers, rather than rear panniers, and keep any handlebar bag lightly loaded. Perhaps use a rackbag as well. For real expedition touring four panniers plus a trailer for additional gear/water is quite OK. You still have the front bags to load the steering and ensure stability.
I've just bought a new tourer that came with very nice rear and front tubus racks. I'm planning to set up in exactly the above way. I've bought a large but light weight Ortlieb handlebar bag that will only be ever loaded with light items. My road touring will mostly be with 4 panniers and maybe the handlebar bag. After doing 2 off road tours on the Mundabiddi with the MTB I've decided that the best combination for my next offroad tour on the MTB will be with trailer only, as experience has taught me that just the handlebar bag (a large heavy Topeak one) is too destabilizing for steering especially on gravel surfaces.

Cheers

Perry