carvans and brains?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

carvans and brains?

Postby tourjunkie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:59 pm

just did the Gibb River road. when travelling from Derby to Broome i was run off the road by a 4*4 towing a caravan. not the first and probably will not be the last time. the attitude to run riders off the road is all too prevalent. generally i just shrug it off and keep an eye on the mirror to get out of their way.
but I just have to complain about this one.
road works were in progress with half the road blocked off. it was only about a 100metres long. took about 30 seconds to pass through. a steep drop off on the other side of the road. traffic controller at each end with a slow/stop sign.
sure enough, half way through a 4*4 towing a caravan pushed his way beside the bike and tried to overtake. could not wait 15 seconds and follow behind me. then have another 1000km to act like idiot all day. there was not enough room for me and the caravan.
i tow an extra wheel, and the bike is fully loaded. the bike can be a handful sometimes and needs a bit of room to control.
i a few things to say top the traffic controller. who just said it is the law for bicycles to get out of the way of cars.

another few words were in order.i had a hard ride the last 12 days doing the GRR. i was not in the mood for this jerk.

i went back to Derby and complained to the police. who promptly told me that there was nothing they could do because i did not get the rego number.
i have sent a complaint to the WA Worksafe about the lack of safety signs. there was no sign or warning that overtaking within the road works was not permitted.
after all, some caravanners' need all the help they can get. as common sense and the run the bikes off the road and she'll be right is too common on Australian roads.
next time i will tell you about the time when 2 caravans passed me. the first went wide, but the second tailgating the first just missed me. not unusual you say? the third car behind was a police car. who did nothing. got the police car number and still waiting for the police response to my complaint.

happy touring
tourjunkie

by BNA » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 am

BNA

Re: carvans and brains?

Postby Outback » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 am

G'day There
I found with all my outback cycle tours over the years. The worst drivers were from Victoria either towing caravans and four wheel drivers, they don't slow down, push you off the road. As a rule of thumb ask you dumb questions,make fun of you because your cycling.But the best is filming you as you leave or entering the campground,i was leaving William Creek once and at of nowhere a bunch of victorians with handycams starting filming me.Cheers Outback
Outback

Re: carvans and brains?

Postby rustguard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:57 pm

saddly I havnt been in much of a position to be run off the road in outback australia, but I too find the reaction of the traffic control worker shocking, I bet he wouldnt say that about predestrians if a car made him jump out of the way. and as for the driver..............
rustguard

Return to Touring Australia