Jabiru or Lichfield?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Jabiru or Lichfield?

Postby kiwirobbie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Are planning to ride Darwin to Broome and would like some feed back on which Park to travel thru on way. Kakadu or Lichfield? Will be there early to mid august have plenty of time so some helpful hints would be appreciated. Cheers rob :?:
kiwirobbie

by BNA » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:15 pm

BNA

Re: Jabiru or Lichfield?

Postby V17L » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi kiwirobbie
Jabiru or Litchfield, that's a toughie.

Litchfield is closer to Darwin, hence the tour operators like it. There are swimming holes (croc free) and waterfalls. Nearby is a caravan park that was lovely when I stayed there. Good roads, ie tarmac. Distances are not great between things. I guess about 40km off the stuart highway, one way.

Jabiru, is diferent again in terms of aboriginal rock painting at Obiri rock and Noarlangi rock. Yellow waters (cooinda) has boat trips on the billabong to see the wildlife, read crocs. Both are a number of kilometres from Jabiru. From Darwin you can travel the arnhem hwy, past the bark hut (pub and cravan park), big termite mound, south alligator motor inn, and then accross the open flood plains to Jabiru. leaving Jabiru you can travel towards Pine Creek, via Mary river store, and rejoin the Stuart highway. Again all tarmac. This route is much longer. You would need to plan you overnite stays. I am guessing this route is approx 500km, plus side diversions.

It's hot and sticky whichever way you decide. Take plenty of water. Also, even if the water looks ok, don't swim or go in the water. There are crocs all thru the topend.

Whilst in Darwin, go to Doctors Gully and feed the fish. Everyone from small kids to oldies are amazed. I also enjoyed crocodilus park near the Police Headquarters. They have a museum which gives a bit of history about crocs. When you see a croc, jump vertically, off hard ground, 6 foot into the air to get some food, your perspective of crocs chances dramatically. Eastpoint is a great place to see the sun set and just look at the lights of Darwin.

I see you want to ride, have you thought of hiring a car, see Jabiru and Kakadu national park, then leave from Darwin via Litchfield on the bike?
cheers
steve
2014 Defy 1
V17L

Postby kiwirobbie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:07 pm

ta Steve for the advice we had thought about a hire car to look about Kakadu then ride Lichfield,Katherine and then to Broome. Well its all happening tomorrow, on the plane to Darwin and into the heat. Dont have a timetable and plenty of time so here goes........... cheers rob and nel
kiwirobbie

Postby timbo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:34 pm

No timetable, plenty of time..... lucky buggers.

Have fun, and don't forget to write a report if the journey does actually end.
timbo

Return to Touring Australia