sydney to brisbane

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

sydney to brisbane

Postby dean_86 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:23 am

hey folks was thinking of doing syd to brisbane later in the year my uncle and some friends live up there so it gives me a good excuse to go up there just wondering if anybody has done it what the best way to go is any good or bad stories ect.

cheers
dean
dean_86
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:34 pm

by BNA » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 am

BNA
 

Re: sydney to brisbane

Postby backroads » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 am

G'day Dean,

are you planning on sticking to main roads/highways or do you want to get off the beaten track so to speak?

There is a mountain of road works going on along the Pacific H/way between Newcastle to just north of Kew. I spoke with a tourer last week that had just ridden it and he said he had to ride on the right hand side of the road for a bit because there was no room and concrete barricades.

You have lots of options at hand to get off the highway. If you check through some of Il'pardrone's post he has done all or some of it "off-highway" and his route is there for you to see.

I am at Port Macquarie and can give you plenty of advice for this area. If you can give us an idea of what type of ride you want to do I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions.

safe travels
backroads
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:29 am

Re: sydney to brisbane

Postby elantra » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:43 pm

backroads wrote:G'day Dean,

are you planning on sticking to main roads/highways or do you want to get off the beaten track so to speak?

There is a mountain of road works going on along the Pacific H/way between Newcastle to just north of Kew. I spoke with a tourer last week that had just ridden it and he said he had to ride on the right hand side of the road for a bit because there was no room and concrete barricades.

You have lots of options at hand to get off the highway. If you check through some of Il'pardrone's post he has done all or some of it "off-highway" and his route is there for you to see.

I am at Port Macquarie and can give you plenty of advice for this area. If you can give us an idea of what type of ride you want to do I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions.

safe travels

I did the drive Bris to Sydney a month or two ago and for sure there was A LOT of roadworks as mentioned above.
And at one stage i recall looking at the concrete barriers with no edge left on the road and thinking "no way would that be an option for a touring cyclist"
Other than that (long !) section, many sections of the highway seem to have reasonably wide edges but often the edges disappear when there is a river or creek to be crossed.
I am sure that others have described touring routes in previous threads this year.
I did not see many cycle tourists along either the Pacific or New England highways, if any.
Hope that helps, Regards, Steve
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
User avatar
elantra
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:01 am
Location: Trying to avoid the Brisbane traffic.

Re: sydney to brisbane

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:02 pm

elantra wrote:Other than that (long !) section, many sections of the highway seem to have reasonably wide edges but often the edges disappear when there is a river or creek to be crossed.

When I rode from Sydney to Queensland (it was 11 years ago now :o ) there was plenty of space in the sealed shoulder of the Pacific Hwy (for the 25kms that I rode it, near Clybucca) but the sheer volume of traffic, especially trucks was mind-numbing and very unpleasant. Particularly as I had a cross-tail wind that day, and was wearing a loose T-shirt. Every truck that raced past blew my T-shirt up over my shoulders. Damned annoying :|

I was glad to get off that highway and take the back roads.
elantra wrote:I did not see many cycle tourists along either the Pacific or New England highways, if any.

No surprise about that :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17479
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: sydney to brisbane

Postby banjo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:40 pm

I rode between Sydney and Brisbane last year, having started in Melbourne. I stayed on the main highway mostly and didn't have any problems. Admittedly I am HIGHLY visible on the bike. Even my paniers are high vis yellow.

I took a few detours of the highway namely..

North of Newcastle through Nelson Bay and ferry across to Tea Gardens. Enjoyable.
The Forster loop near the coast.
Stopped overnight at Port Macquarie. (One of my few bad stopovers. Big 4 leisure park where I camped was terrible)

The whole ride was generally great, weather was 90% dry (October).
I rode right through Tweed Heads and Coolangatta up to Southport. The Indy race finished the day before so traffic was horendous near Southport. Given the choice again I would avoid the highway between Tweed Heads and Southport. Very high levels of traffic.

The V1 path from Southport to Brisbane is disjointed, mostly on quiet roads, and generally a very bland ride.

There were several section of the Pacific Highway that were under construction but I had no problems getting through. Good luck, you will have a great trip.
banjo
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:48 pm


Return to Touring Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist