clockwise from Geraldton north

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

clockwise from Geraldton north

Postby bantem » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:12 pm

I am thinking of spending time next year going north from Geraldton. What time of year is best/worst. I would be doing it with a support vehicle AND kids. So slow is the order of the day. I just want to know what winds and weather to expect further north. How early in the year can I leave?
bantem

by BNA » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am

BNA

Re: clockwise from Geraldton north

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 am

G'day

Going north from Geraldton is a bit vague ... lot of land north of Geraldton. Can you be more specific as to what you have in mind?

You can get an idea on winds via the BOM website here.

These trees might give you an idea on which direction to ride if in the area in the summer :)

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:43 pm

G'day Bantem,

I'd love to ride around Oz, but I'm quite sure you're going to regret going clockwise. You'll be riding into the prevailing winds for nearly the whole journey. For most of the year, you can expect strong easterly winds across the top end of Oz, and for a large amount of the year, westerlies across the Nullarbor. You'll probably also push into southerlies along the east coast.

As for the time of the year: you don't want to be riding and camping in the wet up north, and obviously, you want to avoid the hottest part of the summer across the Nullarbor.

Go the other way, but have fun no matter what you do: it's be the trip of a life time.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:07 pm

Kalgrm wrote:G'day Bantem,

I'd love to ride around Oz, but I'm quite sure you're going to regret going clockwise.

Duh, missed that. I was thinking a clockwise ride out of Geraldton back to Geraldton :roll: :oops:

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:Duh, missed that. I was thinking a clockwise ride out of Geraldton back to Geraldton :roll: :oops:

Andrew

Well, you're not wrong. That's what he's doing - I think. Just a little further ... ;)
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby bantem » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 pm

yeah more info makes more sense. I really should split this up into a few posts. See I have 6 children (no not a typo) and am working to have about 6 months off next year and I have the Olds who would love to be a support vehicle for us. We live in Geraldton and kind of thought that to go north to shark bay - broom - Wherever we get to would be cool. Slow pace 80-100 km a day kids can ride or go with the olds. So that frames my question better. How early can we set of and not get hot or wet?
bantem

Postby bantem » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:01 pm

bump
bantem

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 pm

bantem wrote:How early can we set of and not get hot or wet?

Um - this is Australia. You're going to get hot, and probably wet. ;)

Seriously though, I can't answer the question, not having done the planning for such a trip myself. I think you're going to have to research it, because so few people here have any experience of riding in the northern extremes of the country. It's not that we are ignoring you, but that we just don't have the answers you need.

I think you should start you research by investigating the Bureau of Meteorology's web site for statistics on monthly rainfall and temperature averages, and also for prevailing wind speeds and directions.

Earlier on I said you're mad to try riding clockwise. I was basing that assessment on this thread on a kayak forum I inhabit. The guy did it and wrote a great account of it, but he recommends NOT going clockwise because those winds are relentless. Read it, and seriously consider your plans.

Cheers,
Graeme
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:52 pm

I have no direct experience of touring in the north, but several friends of mine have. For some good background, check out the posts here. Randy and Jodie cycled around Aus for their honeymoon - for a whole year back in 2001-2002. They went anti-clockwise around (which is generally the accepted way to do it). They explored plenty of back tracks and main routes in the north (Cape York's Palmer River Rd, Gibb River Rd).

For a tale of how to do it clockwise, and inexperienced you could try to find a copy of the book 'Headwinds' by Andrew Bain, a story of the perils of going the wrong way round :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Return to Touring Australia