Heat, camping and hot tarmac

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Heat, camping and hot tarmac

Postby Dayvo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 am

Hello everyone!

I'm due to arrive in Sydney at the end of November with the intention of cycling to Melbourne (as near to the coast as possible), Adelaide, back to Melbourne, up the Newell to Brisbane and down to Sydney before the end of Jan. (when I celebrate my 50th and will get pissed)!I hope to visit all the Test match grounds in each city.

But my main question is about the heat!

What kind of day/night temperatures can I expext in December and January? I plan on camping 3-4 nights a week, with a stay at a pub/cheap hotel/B&B for a hot shower and wash of clothes in between.

I've bought a cheap, lightweight, single fly tent but noticed there was quite a lot of condensation during the night/early morning, although that was done here in Norway with low temperatures.

Also I've been warned of hot roads and soft/melting tarmac, giving problems to traffic, not least cyclists.

I'd be grateful for any advice and tips.

I have some more questions about roads, but that can wait til next time!

Thanks fellas!
Dayvo

by BNA » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:31 pm

BNA

Re: Heat, camping and hot tarmac

Postby PJZap » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Checkout the Bureau of Meterology website, lots of useful information, see following link for average tempeartures http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_a ... /index.jsp . Extreme temperatures could be in the low 40's if your unlucky, especially in the inland areas and towards Adelaide but this would be a dry heat, generally very humid along the coast between Sydney and Brisbane.
Haven't seen melting tarmac at all and I lived in Alice Springs for 14 years where it is often over 40.

Phil
PJZap

Postby LittleWheelsandBig » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Melting tarmac is very rare in Australia. The consistency of tarmac is adjusted to suit the expected temperature range. It is rare that any Australian regions experience temperatures significantly below zero, so the tarmac composition is designed to cope with higher temperatures.

Softened tarmac at high temperatures might occur with some repair patch materials or overbanding but it isn't widespread.
Last edited by LittleWheelsandBig on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleWheelsandBig

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

In past hot summer days in Victoria I have had tarmac that was heated enough that my tyres left tracks in it. And also one hot trip where my tyre tread got filled up with road tar. But that was at least 20 years ago now, I've not noticed it so much on recent hot periods. Maybe they are using better heat-coping bitumen now
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby hartleymartin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:34 pm

In January/February I prefer to ride either in the early morning or at night. About 7pm until midnight when the moon is fairly full are good riding times, but you'd better have a lighting rig that makes you look like a Christmas tree on some of the highways.

A tent with a separate fly will always be better. It is preferable to have one with a window that will allow the breeze through if it's a very warm night. I personally use a 3-man tent. It's big enough for me to bring my gear inside, have some room to move around and if I travel with a buddy, he (or she ;-) ) can sleep inside the same tent.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
http://madmartysblog.blogspot.com - my cycling adventures
hartleymartin

Return to Touring Australia