Across Australia Record

soloman

Across Australia Record

Postby soloman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:59 am

Hey everyone,

I am planning a trip from Sydney to Perth for November next year and I am trying to decide whether I want to really enjoy it or try and break a record (this help me raise more money). Does anyone know what the record crossing is? I know Erik Straarup has a great website (http://www.lonebiker.dk/rekorden.htm) listing the rules and record attempts around australia but none for a crossing. I would greatly appreciate any knowledge on the topic!
Thanks!!
Soloman.

toofat

Re: Across Australia Record

Postby toofat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:02 pm

There was a new record set recently (about 6 weeks ago ) for the distance, of 11 days and 17 hours by Peter Heal an Audax rider
However this was from Perth to Sydney, this ride was unsupported, more details on the audax website

MTBRuss

Postby MTBRuss » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:38 pm

This one from west to east though, and also supported: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66310

Are you considering supported or unsupported?

Lonebiker

Postby Lonebiker » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:49 am

Someone sendt me this, not updated but anyway:

http://www.lonebiker.dk/Ausrecords.doc

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:24 pm

That was my list Erik.

Funny isn't it.
You can claim a record riding from wherever you want to start to wherever you want to finish.
Lots of people claim the "Across Australia Record".

There is another category for these rides too and that is Supported and Accompanied.
That's when the support team members go out and ride alongside (but never in front...) the main cyclist. No drafting or side wind assist - no...

Here are some crossing times for Perth to Sydney
1993 Hubert Schwarz GER 8d12h49m Supported
1998 Wolfgang Fasching AT 7d19h47m Supported - Water to Water
2005 Tristain Barnes GB 9d19ha7m Supported - Sydney to Perth - Listed as fastest in Guiness Book of records!
2006 Richard Vollebreght AUS 8d10h58m Supported/Accompanied - GPO to GPO
2007 Gerhard Gulewicz AT 7d8h49m Supported - Water to Water

So, there you go.
Gerhard Gulewicz time in 2007 best so far and lots of luck.

Fremantle and Bondi are good start/end points and the GPO to GPO works too.
Pete

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:45 am

"Proper" across Australia should be from the eastern most point (Byron bay?) to the western most point shouldn't it?
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Poiter

Postby Poiter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:20 pm

I see a German is claiming to have set the supported record.

"After seven days, 19 hours and 5 minutes the new record was set. Late October extreme cyclist Guido Kunze clearly beat the official world record for crossing southern Australia by bicycle (4.200 km!). Almost 16 hours faster than the former record holder, Australia's Richard Vollebreght, the 43-year-old from Mühlhausen in the German state of Thuringia had covered the vast distance."

Someone forgot to tell him about Gerhard Gulewicz doing it in 7 days 8 hours and 49 minutes in 2007 - whoops.
http://www.gerhardgulewicz.net/index.php?id=482&L=1

Super Commuter

Postby Super Commuter » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:12 pm

lemmiwinks wrote:"Proper" across Australia should be from the eastern most point (Byron bay?) to the western most point shouldn't it?
That would be Steep Point! The road into there would add another dimension to it... :shock:

I guess it's another record just waiting to be broken! :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm

Super Commuter wrote:
lemmiwinks wrote:"Proper" across Australia should be from the eastern most point (Byron bay?) to the western most point shouldn't it?
That would be Steep Point! The road into there would add another dimension to it... :shock:

I guess it's another record just waiting to be broken! :lol:
The last of the 'trans-continental crossings' that has not really ever been done, let alone worrying about a record time. Most of the trans-continental crossings were achieved inthe 1890s, but not this one - west to east via the centre. A German lady did ride a MTB from Perth to Wiluna, Alice Springs and Townsville about 14 years ago - that's about the closest I'm aware of.

Road conditions, supplies and water are going to be the biggest problems.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Super Commuter

Postby Super Commuter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:20 pm

il padrone wrote:The last of the 'trans-continental crossings' that has not really ever been done, let alone worrying about a record time. Most of the trans-continental crossings were achieved inthe 1890s, but not this one - west to east via the centre. A German lady did ride a MTB from Perth to Wiluna, Alice Springs and Townsville about 14 years ago - that's about the closest I'm aware of.
Now you've started something! :shock:

I'm thinking Thorn Sterling with a Rohloff hub in midwinter... and yes an awful lot of water! Who's going to be the first? :P

Moocar

Postby Moocar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:52 pm

I just looked at the route you would take. Ideally, it would involve cutting straight though the continent, none of this Nullabor or Western Hwy stuff. Which of course means a crossing of the Simpson Desert from Birdsville to Mt Dare. Oh man, I want in too!
Last edited by Moocar on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cranky Jim

Postby Cranky Jim » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:08 pm

I have include Hubert Opperman's 1937 record of 13 days 9 hours and 22 mins riding from Perth to Sydney, which included a crash, several stages of bike carrying (including a 10 mile stretch in sand too deep to ride), searing heat and sleeping in 10 minute grabs. It must have been tough because this bloke was capable of riding 800kms in a day. Legend.

Poiter

The Flying Cyclist

Postby Poiter » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:41 pm

Chris Marris from Perth is making an attempt at "the Guinness World Record for the ‘Fastest time to cycle trans-Australia from Perth to Sydney (male)".
The "official record" with GWR is still recorded as Richard Vollebregt’s 2006 Across Australia Record of 8d 11h 12m. From Perth GPO to Sydney GPO.
There have been faster crossings but apparently not recognised by Guiness World Records organisation.
20/3/98 Wolfgang Fasching from Austria - 7d 19h 47m.
29/11/07 Gerhard Gulewicz from Austria - 7d 8h 49m .
7/11/09 Guidio Kunze of Germany rode across in 7d 19h 5m and claimed the Guiness World Record with many media releases.

Chris aims to make the crossing in under 8 days, starting on August 29, 2010.

http://www.flyingcyclist.com.au/about/

Flying Cyclist

Postby Flying Cyclist » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi all

As Poiter has mentioned, I am about to start an attempt at the official GWR for fast time to cycle trans Australia. I start my journey tonight, and hope to arrive in Sydney sometime next Sunday. The official record still stands as Richard Vollebregt, at 8 days, 10 hours 57 minutes. I certainly hope to break this, but will also do my best to break as many of the unofficial records as possible (while doing it to the official guidelines set by GWR). You will be able to track my progress at www.flyingcyclist.com.au and www.facebook.com/flyingcyclist. The ride is raising money for the RFDS.

Chris Marris

V17L

Postby V17L » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi Chris
Best of luck, RFDS is a worthy cause, helps many people.
Weather is looking woolly, with showers around Perth and eastwoods for the next few days.
Fingers crossed for a tail wind all the way for you.
cheers
steve
Giant Defy 1

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 pm

il padrone wrote: The last of the 'trans-continental crossings' that has not really ever been done, let alone worrying about a record time. Most of the trans-continental crossings were achieved inthe 1890s, but not this one - west to east via the centre. A German lady did ride a MTB from Perth to Wiluna, Alice Springs and Townsville about 14 years ago - that's about the closest I'm aware of.

Very old thread I know, but it appears this may finally have happened according to this facebook post- https://www.facebook.com/Globaltrekfilm ... __tn__=C-R

(can't get that link to embed for some reason)
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:56 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:47 pm
il padrone wrote: The last of the 'trans-continental crossings' that has not really ever been done, let alone worrying about a record time. Most of the trans-continental crossings were achieved inthe 1890s, but not this one - west to east via the centre. A German lady did ride a MTB from Perth to Wiluna, Alice Springs and Townsville about 14 years ago - that's about the closest I'm aware of.

Very old thread I know, but it appears this may finally have happened according to this facebook post- https://www.facebook.com/Globaltrekfilm ... __tn__=C-R

(can't get that link to embed for some reason)

Another thread dig, it turns out the ride above (a German film maker by the name of Lei Jona) was actually from Perth to Cairns, so very impressive, but not Steep Point to Cape Byron.

That has at last happened though, Caroline and Craig Humphrey did the first ever west-east through the middle in April-June-July last year.

http://gearedupventures.com/
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia