Racks and panniers

diamondo

Racks and panniers

Postby diamondo » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:22 pm

Hi Guys

I'm new to the above topic - am wondering how universal the sizing is for bike racks (rear).

Specifically, if I buy panniers - I have in mind some Euro brands like Ortlieb or Blackburn - will these panniers fit all racks?
Is it best to buy racks and panniers made by the same manufacturer? (Doesn't seem that common)
How do I know if one brand of pannier will clip effectively and be stable with a particular rack?

I am thinking of one brand of rack (disc brake compatible) but am concerned that there may be a mismatch of panniers with the rack.

Thanks.

Baldy

Re: Racks and panniers

Postby Baldy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

I think as a general rule most panniers will fit most racks. Mainly because most pannier bags have some kind of adjustment to their mounting systems.

One thing ive noticed while researching is the mention of heel clearance, seems to be more of an issue than anything else. Only with certain rack/bike/pannier combos, small frames and big bags ect...

cheers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:18 pm

diamondo wrote:How do I know if one brand of pannier will clip effectively and be stable with a particular rack?
Generally most racks will fit most panniers. Ortlieb panniers do have the added feature of some special clip fittings that can tailor the pannier clips to different rack widths, including the wider 10mm tubes of Tubus racks and even wider. Not essential but they keep the bags sitting more snugly on the rack bars.
diamondo wrote:I am thinking of one brand of rack (disc brake compatible) but am concerned that there may be a mismatch of panniers with the rack.
Beware of 'disc compatible racks'. Many disc brake callipers (especially the hydro ones) do not cause any interference with normal rack legs. And I have twice seen disc compatible racks fail early in their lives, I believe due to the added leverage of their longer mounting bolts.

This is one, after the first repair failed. The rack had broken the bolt off, leaving the stub still in the frame eyelet (hidden behind the leg here) :cry:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

diamondo

Postby diamondo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks for the tips.

My current rack and bags combination (15+ years old and to be replaced soon) have that very issue of heel clearance - the pannier's clips are worn and it creeps forward so that on a ride I have had the experience of my heel brushing the pannier. One bag is currently held to the rack frame with cable ties. Not ideal for unpacking.

Padrone - will heed the caution and the home-made engineering ideas!

D-man

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Diamondo,

Most racks and panniers are compatible with each other. Only a few companies make brand-specific things. Top-peak make a rack especially designed for their rack-top bag/pannier thingy (quite clever actually). I've only used your basic Tioga rear racks, but they seems to do a fine job of carrying my panniers and supporting my saddle-pack (I use the huge Carradice camper long-flap, which is about the same size as a largish pannier bag on it's own).
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi

I have Tubus racks front and rear and both my Deuter panniers and my Ortleib panniers fit okay. I am not sure if I have a wider clamp on the Ortleib panniers as per Pete's comments but (brought them second hand).

Andrew

pawnii

Postby pawnii » Thu May 27, 2010 1:22 am

I would definitely stick with chrome molly (steal) racks like the Tubus ones. I've seen so many aluminium racks fail under load it's not funny.
Considering you have have disk brakes i'm thinking you have a ATB or MTB which you would probably take off the tarmac at times. I don't think aluminium racks would hold up too well under off road conditions.

Most racks are 700c wheel specific. They will work on 26" wheels but it will sit quite high off your wheel which means your load will have a higher center of gravity.

Tubus and some other brands make 26" wheel specific racks.
yes, I'm an overweight weight weenie
2012 Scott Foil Premium