Kickstand for MTB tourer?

rifraf

Re: Kickstand for MTB tourer?

Postby rifraf » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:23 pm

gregmacc wrote:Hi again all ... It's been almost 18 months since I first started this topic. We purchased the Greenfields Stabilizer kickstands and have been more than happy with them ... apart from one niggling issue ... the rubber stopper at the toe of the stand. We have found that the originals wore quite quickly and have tried all manner of replacements without much luck. It seems that the considerable weight of our fully laden touring rigs has mangled all the alternative rubber feet we have tried so far. Has anybody else had similar problems? Any solutions?
Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg,
haven't had your dilemma yet although I can see it happening.
Very nice to hear yours is still giving sterling service after 18 months!
I was trying to think outside the square and came up with a possibility to consider.
Heading to Bunnings (or similar) for a school chair leg bottom stopper(?)
Not sure of the terminology.
I was wondering if they might have something suitable?
My local one disappointed me with their service so much the other day I dropped what I was going to buy and left,
so I wont yet be going in to check for you for the foresee-able future.
Hows your local?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:45 am

Hi rifraf .... Yes I've tried the hardware stores ... and various chair leg rubber stopper thingies ... no luck ... they just wear and fail very quickly.
In general though, the Greenfields have been brilliant.
Cheers
Greg

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:28 am

gregmacc wrote:Hi rifraf .... Yes I've tried the hardware stores ... and various chair leg rubber stopper thingies ... no luck ... they just wear and fail very quickly.
In general though, the Greenfields have been brilliant.
Cheers
Greg
Hi Greg
Maybe time to look for a hard plastic boot of some type?
Or wooden?
Hmmmmmmm I'll have to put some thought into it.....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:05 pm

They are consumables and do wear out. SJS Cycles have them on their website - here. I bought 3 or 4 one time with an order for other parts. The worst thing is when they fall off or get knocked off, before they've worn very much :x . Next time I'm going to super-glue them on.

Door stops or chair leg boots are all way too big, don't even consider them. The kickstand is still quite effective without the rubber foot. On sandy soils on the Oodnadatta Track I got into the habit of grabbing a gibber rock to stick under the leg and it supported the full load quite well
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:32 pm

il padrone wrote:They are consumables and do wear out. SJS Cycles have them on their website - here. I bought 3 or 4 one time with an order for other parts. The worst thing is when they fall off or get knocked off, before they've worn very much :x . Next time I'm going to super-glue them on.

Door stops or chair leg boots are all way too big, don't even consider them. The kickstand is still quite effective without the rubber foot. On sandy soils on the Oodnadatta Track I got into the habit of grabbing a gibber rock to stick under the leg and it supported the full load quite well
Hi IP,
thanks for the great tips and link (SJS).
The super glue sounds the go. :!:
We might have to consider a group buy of the little suckers. :idea:
I'm in for 10 if we decide to pursue it! :D

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm thinking of buying a Greenfield Stabilizer for my BOB Ibex, bit like the pic below...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:19 am

Wingnut wrote:I'm thinking of buying a Greenfield Stabilizer for my BOB Ibex,
Talk to Aushiker as he has done this and I'm not sure he's 100% happy with it although that may have changed by now. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:25 am

rifraf wrote:
Wingnut wrote:I'm thinking of buying a Greenfield Stabilizer for my BOB Ibex,
Talk to Aushiker as he has done this and I'm not sure he's 100% happy with it although that may have changed by now. :)
Yes done it ...

In fairness to the stand part of my problem I suspect is the lack of weight on the front of the bike. Once I get my Tubus Swing and can distribute some weight to the front, the kickstand should work much better. As it is, the front is very light and it moves easily, making it difficult to get the bike and trailer standing properly.

Andrew
Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for posting some pics.

What length stand did you purchase? The 285mm or the 305mm? I've found a mob that sells the 285mm size for $26 inc postage.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:03 pm

Wingnut wrote:What length stand did you purchase? The 285mm or the 305mm? I've found a mob that sells the 285mm size for $26 inc postage.
I am pretty sure I got the 285 mm. I brought it from http://biketrailershop.com in May 2011 for a landed cost of $35.24.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Andrew
Andrew

trouserlord

Postby trouserlord » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Just a heads-up: both the Greenfields Standard and Rear Mount Stabiliser kickstands are currently on sale for $15 plus postage from http://www.montaguebikes.com.au/products/kickstand.

I've just ordered the SKS2-285 and postage to Sydney metro was $11.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Sadly my ESGE Multi-zoom kickstand failed on me at Kulgera, under protest at the HUGE loads it was being asked to support. On checking the details at SJS Cycles when buying a new one, I found out that ESGE rate it to support 18 kgs :shock:

My bike weighs more than that!!?

Anyway it worked very well for me on normal riding and carrying standard camping loads. But in the Red Centre we were carrying food for up to 8 days, and water for 3-4 days.

Standard camping gear = 25 kgs
23 L of water = 23 kgs
8 days food = ~15 kgs

Giving a total payload running close to 65 kgs. This was only at the beginning of a couple of long hauls but in between times we still needed to carry 10-15 L of water and a fair bit of food, probably still about 45-50 kgs. The water is the real killer and not something you can do without. If I do any similar remote tours and need to carry this sort of load again I will probably resort to 'The Stick' (tm). It is tougher at carrying the big payload, readily obtainable and ultimately recycleable :wink: :P

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Luke Skystalker

Postby Luke Skystalker » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:49 pm

il padrone wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 pm
Greenfield stay-mounted sidestand. Excellent support for my fully loaded MTB tourer, and very lightweight.

Is there any advantage to a kickstand at the rear like this instead of the regular positioning?