Holland Track - Western Australia

Aushiker

Holland Track - Western Australia

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi

Throwing around the idea of taking on the Holland Track (not the Holland Way) probably next year. That is riding from Hyden to Coolgardie or vice versa or doing the full length, Broomehill - Coolgardie. Has anyone had experience with riding it or even driving it?

I know Heavymetal had a trip report on his website but it has gone now so does anyone have any input?

I have got hold of a copy of the 4WD book, Explore the Holland Track and Cave Hill Woodlines and that is useful but would really like an idea of camping sites, water sources if any and general riding conditions if possible.

Thanks
Andrew

Baalzamon

Re: Holland Track - Western Australia

Postby Baalzamon » Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Andrew

A google came up with http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/South ... Track.aspx Hopefully that is informative for you.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 01, 2010 10:23 am

Baalzamon wrote:Hi Andrew

A google came up with http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/South ... Track.aspx Hopefully that is informative for you.
Thanks. They are the notes I linked to :)

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat May 01, 2010 11:19 am

Didn't check the link you put down :oops:

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sat May 01, 2010 10:07 pm

I recall some guys from round here did it a few years back from the other end on mtbs. I think it was written up but I can't recall where. I'll make some enquiries. I know he had one of those single large wheel trailers but may have been a home brew one. I don't think they had any problems.

John Lewis

where2pedalto

Postby where2pedalto » Fri May 07, 2010 10:58 pm

John Lewis wrote:I recall some guys from round here did it a few years back from the other end on mtbs. I think it was written up but I can't recall where. I'll make some enquiries. I know he had one of those single large wheel trailers but may have been a home brew one. I don't think they had any problems.

John Lewis
G'day John.

I think those guys were the ones Joanne and I met as we began our second trip across the paddock before we went to Alaska.
I have a picture at http://www.where2pedalto.com/journal/an ... 9nov06.htm (14 November entry). They were telling us how hot it had been and we then experienced lots of days over 40 deg C and one on the Nullarbor at 51 deg C. If you find anything on them I'd love to read it.

Regards

Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue May 11, 2010 10:02 pm

G'day Andrew, Been a while.
Yes they were the ones I was thinking of.
Hope to catch up with you two again some time.

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Hi Andrew

Still thinking of doing this tour or something else?

ausrider

Postby ausrider » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:59 pm

I have done the Holland Track from Hyden to Coorgadie on my off road motorbike. Did it in Sept 2015. That stretch is only around 80km if I'm not wrong.
I'm keen to do it on MTB eventually.

I just came back doing Walpole to Manjimup on the MB trail. Did Walpole to Albant in Dec last year.

I remember reading your notes in the log book at one of the hut.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:45 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Hi Andrew

Still thinking of doing this tour or something else?
Crikey, missed your post completely. Yep still on the agenda; assuming all goes well with some health related issues I will take the Salsa Mukluk on a ride of the track from Kalgoorlie to Hyden either late in 2016 or more likely mid 2017. Other travel plans have the middle of 2016 ruled out :(

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Go this ride back on my agenda for sometime in the next 12 months and one aspect I am seeking more information on is getting from Coolgardie to Kalgoorlie. I would prefer to stay off the highway and thought of riding alongside the pipeline. I am struggling to locate the pipeline on Google maps to check if there is a track along side it. Anyone know?

Thanks

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Does this help?

Goldfields Pipeline Marathon.

Be sure to click through to the Kalgoorlie Runners site and their pipeline page.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

McGoo

Postby McGoo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:47 pm

The pipeline runs 10-150m to the north side of the highway the whole way and is easily accessible, I've traversed it on my moto bike. It's a fairly flat track that I remember being firm and easy. Google satellite view should show it very easily.

I've also driven the Holland track. From memory there are some sections towards the southern end that are quite sandy that I wouldn't enjoy on a pushbike but nothing impossible.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:47 pm

RonK wrote:Does this help?

Goldfields Pipeline Marathon.

Be sure to click through to the Kalgoorlie Runners site and their pipeline page.
Thanks. I had heard of a cycling event but not this one.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:50 pm

McGoo wrote:The pipeline runs 10-150m to the north side of the highway the whole way and is easily accessible, I've traversed it on my moto bike. It's a fairly flat track that I remember being firm and easy. Google satellite view should show it very easily.

I've also driven the Holland track. From memory there are some sections towards the southern end that are quite sandy that I wouldn't enjoy on a pushbike but nothing impossible.
Thanks. I thought I had found it on Google maps before but it wasn't jumping out at me yesterday. Will take another look now I know where to look more specifically.

I will riding my Salsa Mukluk so the sand shouldn't be too much of an issue. My biggest issue is water and if I can minimise the amount I need to carry.

alanm

Postby alanm » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:36 am

Auslhiker, that's me ( with the shirt on) in that link. I have a copy of my write up with me but it's in PDF format and I can't work out how to get it onto the site. I'll be back at home in a few days and will post the write up then. We did it in November of 2006(?). November was a big mistake.

Al.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 am

alanm wrote:Auslhiker, that's me ( with the shirt on) in that link. I have a copy of my write up with me but it's in PDF format and I can't work out how to get it onto the site. I'll be back at home in a few days and will post the write up then. We did it in November of 2006(?). November was a big mistake.

Al.
Thanks, that would be great. Interesting to know more about your experiences going in November as that is one of my time options due to work. If you can not upload them I can PM you my email address if that is easier.

Andrew