Female cycling solo

rifraf

Re: Great Oean Road.

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Annag wrote: I just found a book in the library titled : Out there and back: the story of the 25 000 km Great Australian Cycle Expedition by Kate Leeming. She cycled around Australia, so its quite good for research, it has good detail about different routes.

Anna.
G'day Anna, I picked up the same book.

I can see why you thought it inspirational.

I found it on gumtree accidentally and decided I'd prefer to read it at my leisure, by owning it, than feel rushed to return it to the library.

She rode the 1993 Trans-Siberian Cycle Expedition.
It was a five month, 13,400 kilometre bicycle journey from St Petersburg to Vladivostok to aid the 800,000 children of Chernobyl

She was also accompanied by expedition cyclist Gregory Yeoman who wrote of their travels in his book "Riding into the Sunrise"

She has another book "Njinga" telling of her touring in Africa.

A 22,000 trek from Senegal to Somalia. :shock:

I spotted her website: https://www.kateleeming.com

Happy Spinning
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Re: Female cycling solo

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am

Jeez Rifraf - she posted that in 2007. :shock: :lol:

Reckon she's still be around? Nope, she doesn't even have an account anymore. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 am

RonK wrote:Jeez Rifraf - she posted that in 2007. :shock: :lol:

Reckon she's still be around? Nope, she doesn't even have an account anymore. :wink:
The joys of drinking single malt whilst perusing the net......... :oops:

In my defence, it was a particularly nice drop. :)

The boards have been a bit quiet anyway and perhaps some links to inspiring reading material might stir up some motivation for a next trip.

We dont seem to get a lot of female participation in the touring section and I wondered if offering the links might suggest room for a bit of

oestrogen within our confines.

I garnered a lot of inspiration from reading the exploits of GJ Coop who makes for great wet winter reading and I wondered if some might

benefit from the unarguably highly motivated Dr Kate Leeming.

Of course being slightly well oiled at the time, I missed the posting date - Mea Culpa.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:20 pm

I see a lot more activity (including women), on the Facebook touring groups "Bikepacking Australia" and "Australia and New Zealand Bicycle Touring" these days.

I think this type of forum will eventually die out.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 pm

RonK wrote:I see a lot more activity (including women), on the Facebook touring groups "Bikepacking Australia" and "Australia and New Zealand Bicycle Touring" these days.

I think this type of forum will eventually die out.
Possibly.
Personally I refuse to take part in Facebook or Twitter so will be found perusing these pages for a while yet.

Gender politics aside, the book looks good and well worth a read with plenty of colour photographs.

I'm keen to become more familiar from a cyclists point of view of some of the locales she traversed in WA and despite been written some time ago, am hopeful to find a few gems of info justifying the purchase.

Once read I'll be able to gift the book to my niece to offer up some examples of "girls can do anything" to inspire her and offer a real life character to aspire to emulate.

tmac100

Re: Thanks

Postby tmac100 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Annag wrote:Thanks to those who replied and for your comments.
I live in Melbourne. I have cycled around the city now for over 20 years, and didn't get my licence until three years ago, so my bike is my way of life. I am 36 now. I have cycled a little bit in other parts of the world, and in Australia. I have always wanted to travel around Australia and would like to do so by bike. After I posted last time, I discovered the Ozbybike dude, Anthony, and sent him an email, and he replied with vey positive comments and it was great to hear from him! I also found about a woman who cycled around in 2005 raisisng money for a charity, so that was inspiring too.
I know it will be hard, and I am not rushing off tomorrow. Joining this forum is a step at the beiginning of my research.

thanks!!

Annag
Having come from Canada several times to bicycle in Australia I agree that you need to be vigilant about personal safety and equipment and food and water. The rest will take care of itself.

I find Australia VERY safe, but then I am 195 cm tall and a male.

That said, I met Anthony in Borroloola in 2006 when we were both on the Savannah Way. He was going to write a book about going around Australia (not on my own bucket list) but I have not been able to contact him about buying the book. If you have Anthony's email address please send it. Not sure if PMs are available on this forum...

Bottom line: go for it. There is a LOT of help out there and sometimes folks are willing to icycle with you for some stretches...