Mackay to Brisbane

justD

Mackay to Brisbane

Postby justD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:37 pm

Hey,

I was meant to do Perth to Sydney about this time, but had to choose between the time off (4 weeks+) or a pretty important promotion. I chose the promotion back in March and stopped cycling around the same time. Now I've been back on the bike for just over a week and already eager on a smaller ride as a compromise. So, I can get enough time off to do Mackay to Brisbane and would like to do that probably early in October.

Any advice? Anything to be careful/aware of on that stretch of road?

Last year I went from Newcastle to the Gold Coast at the end of September and had a headwind against me every single day! So am I correct in flying up to Mackay and cycling down to Brisbane? Assuming the wind will be the same on that whole coastal section.

Got this as a plan for the time being. I guess people will tell me to stay off the highway, but I probably won't get more than 10 days cycling time off from work and I prefer to have 2 days spare in case of problems. I was quite happy on the highway from Newcastle to the Gold Coast last year, so as long as the road between Mackay and Brisbane is not worse than that, I should be fine with it.

Mackay to Brisbane

Now, of course, the problem is getting fit in time:) I've picked up 10kgs since last year's trip (no, I don't want a lecture about my lack of ability at sticking to diets - wait, I mean my ability to make lifestyle changes). And I'll do my first ride over 25kms since getting back on the bike this weekend:)

Anyway, any advice or warnings will be appreciated.

Dirk

pglbuild

Re: Mackay to Brisbane

Postby pglbuild » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Hi there,

Last year i rode from Brisbane to Rockhampton using Peter Gordons Route.

You might find it helpfull.

httphttp://petergo.customer.netspace.net.au/BrisMackay/index.html

Dont concern yourself with his " scale of difficulty", I found it all pretty comfortable.

The Womble

Postby The Womble » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:01 pm

The same as everywhere else really, but if youre going to do it make sure you watch for the road trains and semi's from Mackay to Rocky. Sometimes the roads get a lil narrow. Townsville to Mackay is some of the most cycle freindly bitumen in the state with lots of shoulder. Its just a pity the road kill is so abundant.
If youre in Townsville for a couple of days, ride the Paluma range if you can. I used to train on that and its geeeeeeeorgeous!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:01 pm

pglbuild wrote:Hi there,

Last year i rode from Brisbane to Rockhampton using Peter Gordons Route.

You might find it helpfull.

httphttp://petergo.customer.netspace.net.au/BrisMackay/index.html

Dont concern yourself with his " scale of difficulty", I found it all pretty comfortable.
Edit linky :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:43 pm

pglbuild wrote:Last year i rode from Brisbane to Rockhampton using Peter Gordons Route.
I'd have to agree with you there. The inland route through the North and South Burnett districts would be a safe and pleasant alternative to the Bruce Highway.

Looking at the wind rose for Rocky in October, the prevailing wind is south-easterly, which would indicate a south to north direction of travel to be preferable, however if you are near the coast a north-easterly afternoon sea breeze is likely.

RonK
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

justD

Postby justD » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:10 am

pglbuild wrote:Last year i rode from Brisbane to Rockhampton using Peter Gordons Route.
Hmm, that's more than 1300kms. While I wouldn't mind the distance, I don't know whether work will allow that much leave atm. 3 extra days, may be worth asking.
RonK wrote:Looking at the wind rose for Rocky in October, the prevailing wind is south-easterly,RonK
Thanks for that, but it makes me wonder. That site also says South-Westerly around Coffs Harbour and everything predominantly from the south from Port Macquarie to Brisbane in September. However, I specifically decided to go north to south this year because I had headwinds almost every day last September.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:00 pm

justD wrote:I probably won't get more than 10 days cycling time off from work and I prefer to have 2 days spare in case of problems.
According to Google Maps it is 950 km via the Bruce Highway, so you are going to have to cover 120 kms every day. At that rate you won't be looking at anything but blacktop, so it probably doesn't really matter what route you take.

It would be well worth your while to try and wrangle a few extra days leave and take the inland route, but you will still be pushing the daily distances. Alternatively, start in Rocky instead of Mackay.
justD wrote:I was quite happy on the highway from Newcastle to the Gold Coast last year, so as long as the road between Mackay and Brisbane is not worse than that, I should be fine with it.
I think you will find much of the Bruce Highway is narrower than the Pacific Highway south. Watch out for trucks...

justD

Mackay to Brisbane

Postby justD » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:42 am

Kewl, I just put in 2 weeks leave and it was approved!!

Thanks ppl, I needed a bit of pushing. So I'll have 14 days to do 1400kms. I'll do 120/day for the first week and then relax towards the end.

Now I must just get some rides in over the next month!

justD

Mackay to Brisbane

Postby justD » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Alright, I'm getting worried:) Did a 95km ride on Saturday and my legs are still hurting a little this morning :(

Well, I have a little more than 2 weeks left and will just have to keep at it. I'll have a couple of days on the road to decide whether I can do the longer route or whether I should head up to Rockhampton.

Anyway, all excited now

midlifecrisis

Postby midlifecrisis » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:10 am

Hello
Good to here your trip is coming together. We are doing Brisbane to Cairns from early October till mid november. Souith to north. Not sure of our route yet, we will wing it as we go. Good luck and we may pass you along the way.
Paul

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 pm

justD wrote:Alright, I'm getting worried:) Did a 95km ride on Saturday and my legs are still hurting a little this morning
You'll soon find your touring legs. Don't overdo it for the first few days - you can crank up the distances once you harden up a bit...

RonK

justD

Mackay to Brisbane

Postby justD » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:02 am

Hey midlifecrisis, we may just run into each other. I ended up booking my flight to Brisbane, so also going south to north. Good luck with it!!

Thank RonK, I do remember it getting a little easier on the legs after a couple of days last year. Butt was a different story though:)

Getting new tyres today and my final training ride this weekend then I'm all ready. Will let you know how it goes.

Chops

Postby Chops » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:17 am

I think your biggest risk in this part of the world is with catching the stupid.

If you feel like you're getting stupider by the minute, I'd advise you to stop.
Aerodynamic Facial Hair