Rohloff all seasons oil - looking for alternatives

Gear11

Rohloff all seasons oil - looking for alternatives

Postby Gear11 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Has anyone ever tried a different oil besides the Rohloff brand All Season Oil in their Speedhub? I'm needing to do another oil change in mine soon and am thinking of taking the plunge and trying out a different gear oil.

It is not so much about the price (although it is a consideration...), but more the principle of the thing; surely they haven't gone to the trouble of adding the colonel's secret herbs and spices to their oil?

RonK

Re: Rohloff all seasons oil - looking for alternatives

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Gear11 wrote:It is not so much about the price (although it is a consideration...), but more the principle of the thing; surely they haven't gone to the trouble of adding the colonel's secret herbs and spices to their oil?
It's not something I'd consider. Is it worth risking an expensive hub to save a few dollars (or to prove a point)? If you think it is, then Mobil One has been mentioned on some forums and ATF on others.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Gear11

Postby Gear11 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks, I'll look into Mobil One and ATF.

It is a risk, but on the other hand, how many people out there would appreciate hearing the outcome?? I'd certainly like to hear if this has ever ended in success or disaster!

To work out which oil to try first - anyone got access to an organic chemistry lab? Mass spec? :lol:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:04 pm

I do think you'll void your hub warranty. If that is not a consideration for you, go right ahead :wink:

Me, I prefer to have the security of that product warranty.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm

A slow day has had me on Google :lol:

A common question is someone spends a $1000 plus on a hub and wants to spend less than $25 every 5000km on the recommend oil. Why?
SJS UK sell 1l bottles. Maybe split a bottle with other hub owners.
On forum post stated that Harris Cyclery was a cheap place to buy 25ml bottles of oil.

Some "fatbike" forums think "Surly Pugsley" have used different oil due to riding in ultra cold conditions. Mobile 1 was mentioned.

Considering Rohloff hubs last for ever or 150 000km with maintenance I would use the proper oil.

Cyclists are used to spending lots of money on little bottles of oil for there chain lube. I would use mobile 1 on my chain and proper oil in my hub to save money.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:50 pm

for warranty yes stick with, But I agree with your principles they should list the specification of the oil they use. Gear oil does not normally use additives. But unless you get the specifications on the viscosity/type of oil you would be really guessing. Its probably just (Hydraulic)Machine oil. Email the manufacturer and ask them for the specs on their oil.