Opinions on my options for a new bike please

salba80

Opinions on my options for a new bike please

Postby salba80 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 am

Hi there

I'm looking at getting myself a new bike. my budget is around $1500 maybe a bit more if it gets me something comparatively awesome, and I'm not really sure which way I should go.

I live in a regional town and do my riding on rural roads. You know the drill, the occasional tree root mini speed bump, potholes, ridges etc. There are also quite a few dirt roads around which give me extra variety for rides. I'm currently riding a rigid mountain bike and I'm not sure whether I should get an alloy road bike with enough clearence to run slightly wider tires and keep my current one for when I want to ride the dirt roads or if I should look for something that can do them all.

I'm in the process of losing a lot of weight and gradually building up my distance. Eventually I may like to try audax style rides. The Fuji Touring bike is in my price range. I like that it is a steel bike but was wondering how much difference the extra weight would make if I usually ride it unloaded. Also, I'm about 5'4 so ride a small bike and did read somewhere that you can't really feel the benefits of steel on the smaller bikes.

What I want is a bike that is reliable efficient and nice to ride, don't we all. I would appreciate any input

Thanks in advance, Sal.

nayfen

Re: Opinions on my options for a new bike please

Postby nayfen » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 am

a cyclocross bike can handle dirt roads. what about a Merida cyclocross disc 4?
http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bike ... OSS+4+Disc

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 am

sounds like a good idea, but the OP posted in the touring forum so .
Do you want a touring bike?

salba80

Postby salba80 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not really sure what kind of bike to get. I posted in the touring forum because I thought you guys would have more experience with conditions out of the cities and because I would eventually like to do some distance riding.

The Cyclocross bike is an option that I am aware of and will see if I can have a test ride of one when I eventually get to canberra to do some serious looking. I thought they were more of a race geometry and wasn't sure of their all day comfort.

I have lost 20kg in the last 6 months and have improved my average speed from around 13km/h for 10km to 18km/h for 35ish km. So I was wondering how noticable a 3 kg heavier bike would be on rolling hills. Yes I am still overweight but that is temporary.

I'm not planning on doing any loaded touring and will be keeping my giant upland. Being female and about 5'4, I might have trouble finding bikes in my size to test ride so any input would be appreciated before I go on an epic quest to find bikes to test.

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm

its very hard to recommend any sort of bike with out more information about what you want in the bike. Speed and comfort can come at the cost of the other, or can happily meet anywhere in between. Drop bars are great for speed performance but lack the control offroad of a wide set of flat or riser bars. Do you plan on carrying any equipment while riding; Just a single pannier is so much more comfortable than a small backpack or bumbag.
From your post I get the impression that you like the idea of covering ground at a faster speed. Is this where you see yourself headed down the track?
From your description I would have no qualms about recommending disk brakes.
I think it is exciting the interest you have to cycle and great to have you on the forum.

salba80

Postby salba80 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Thanks rustguard.

I do like the idea of going fast. I know my speed will improve with fitness and weightloss but I'm still enjoying the journey along the way.

A rack at the back would be handy and I wouldn't mind a set of mudguards either. I'm not really planning on riding on anything worse than a good to reasonable unsealed road and it would be nice to be able to get more aerodynamic into headwinds so I am definately looking at drop bars.

I think I have almost decided to leave the roadie for n+1 when I have the fitness to appreciate it and do it justice. Lucky the partner doesn't read the forums or that comment could get me in trouble :wink:

So, I know Fuji have a tourer that comes with a rear rack and most brands do a cyclocross model. I'm sure there are other lightish tourers out there that I haven't come across yet and it would be great if someone could point me in the direction of some other options to look into.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Vivente World Randonneur

Surly Long Haul Trucker

(Our friend Aushiker's own bike)

Or the Surly Crosscheck

Kona Dr Dew

Salsa Casseroll Triple

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:08 am

salba80 wrote:A rack at the back would be handy and I wouldn't mind a set of mudguards either. I'm not really planning on riding on anything worse than a good to reasonable unsealed road and it would be nice to be able to get more aerodynamic into headwinds so I am definately looking at drop bars.
salba80 wrote:I'm not planning on doing any loaded touring
If you are not planning to carry a load, then extra low gears are probably unneccesssary - that makes the Salsa Vaya worth a look. It has eyelets for mounting both front and rear racks if you need them, and lower gears are only a crankset upgrade away if you later have a change of mind about loaded touring.

Smaller frame sizes are equipped with 26" wheels and 26 x 1.75" tyres, which would be quite capable on reasonable dirt surfaces.

Unusually for a compact frame design, there is a range of 8 frame sizes so you should be able to acheive a comfortable fit.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:26 am

salba80 wrote:I do like the idea of going fast.....

....A rack at the back would be handy and I wouldn't mind a set of mudguards either. I'm not really planning on riding on anything worse than a good to reasonable unsealed road and it would be nice to be able to get more aerodynamic into headwinds so I am definately looking at drop bars.
My brother has just recently upgraded his commuter/tourer. It's one like this from trisled. He rode it across Tasmania in February. Aerodynamics are great and he has very good weather protection. He's very happy with his speeds, 40-50kmh on the flat - Victoria Police stopped him on Beaconsfield Parade to check that he didn't have a motor running :mrgreen:

A bit more than $1500 though, unfortunately :(

http://www.trisled.com.au/rotovelo.asp

Mandatory helmet law?

graeme1957

Postby graeme1957 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:29 pm

All due respect to the df riders out there but you can't go past a recumbent for touring. Daily averages increased, body recovery hugely improved, and don't believe the dribble about not being visible. Look at the bacchetta giro or similar. :D

salba80

Postby salba80 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:29 pm

graeme1957 wrote:All due respect to the df riders out there but you can't go past a recumbent for touring. Daily averages increased, body recovery hugely improved, and don't believe the dribble about not being visible. Look at the bacchetta giro or similar. :D

Hi graeme. I did look at recumbents on the net and only the very base models were within my price range. I'm still unsure whether I should try for a test ride. I'm weighing up whether I would be willing to make a spectacle of myself while living in a small town. That and being laughed at by my partner give them a bit of a down side.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:15 pm

Well my next bike will be a dedicated touring machine, but I'm yet to determine if it will be a Thorn Raven Nomad, something like a greenspeed gto or a bachetta giro. 2 have 2 wheels and one has 3 wheels but I'm thinking the recumbents will win
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:55 pm

Go the Thorn Raven Nomad. Wonderful ride for touring :D

I rode mine 210kms through the Strzelecki Ranges of South Gippsland this long weekend, on dirt roads, tarmac and railtrail; climbing the mountains and running down them at speed. The Thorn was a delight to ride. I really doubt a recumbent would handle this type of touring so well.

Some South Gippsland scenes :mrgreen:

Mandatory helmet law?

graeme1957

Postby graeme1957 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:15 pm

salba80 wrote:
graeme1957 wrote:All due respect to the df riders out there but you can't go past a recumbent for touring. Daily averages increased, body recovery hugely improved, and don't believe the dribble about not being visible. Look at the bacchetta giro or similar. :D

Hi graeme. I did look at recumbents on the net and only the very base models were within my price range. I'm still unsure whether I should try for a test ride. I'm weighing up whether I would be willing to make a spectacle of myself while living in a small town. That and being laughed at by my partner give them a bit of a down side.
Fair enough! I guarantee once you try you won't go back. They are streets aheads of DF's in so many areas. BTW I ride both so I have no side to push one way or the other. In my experience the majority of people who knock recumbents, or are sceptical of them, have never actually ridden one. Cheers, Graeme

rustguard

Postby rustguard » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:43 pm

graeme1957 wrote:Fair enough! I guarantee once you try you won't go back. They are streets aheads of DF's in so many areas. BTW I ride both so I have no side to push one way or the other. In my experience the majority of people who knock recumbents, or are sceptical of them, have never actually ridden one. Cheers, Graeme
Being 'one' of the guys who hasn't ridden :( one (not skeptical though) how do they go on the semi rough stuff ie poor rutted gravel road?

graeme1957

Postby graeme1957 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 pm

It's horses for courses as with any bike. If your recumbent is a racing version it won't handle it but if it's a touring version it will. Il Padrone is wrong about the recumbent not being able to handle rail trails, fire trails, tar etc. They certainly will but as i said you have to have the right one. e.g. the bacchetta GIRO 26 takes tyres ranging from mountain bike 2.0 to skinny 1.1 sliks. I have an AZUB recumbent as well which is full suspension front and rear and it takes extremely rutted stuff. My CORSA performance bike won't as it is just that, a performance bike with extremely skinny road tyres although I did tour it Sydney - Adelaide fully loaded and it was fine. Cheers, Graeme

graeme1957

Postby graeme1957 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 pm

il padrone wrote:Go the Thorn Raven Nomad. Wonderful ride for touring :D

I really doubt a recumbent would handle this type of touring so well.

Not right. They will take it. They are like any bike and it's horses for courses. Some are fast performance machines (CORSA), some for touring (GIRO 26), some for more rugged stuff (AZUB full suspension). I have all three. You wouldn't take your carbon racer off road and it's tha same with recumbents. You need the right bike. They are a delight to tour on - on or off road.

Cheers,
Graeme :D

Some South Gippsland scenes :mrgreen: