Need advice on internet/telecom while cycling Australia

Aushiker

Re: Need advice on internet/telecom while cycling Australia

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi

A quick update. I ordered a PedalPower+ Super-i-Cable which arrived today. Hopefully this will marry up to the SON dynamo coming from Germany to provide power for the GPS and Phone on the road. Heck it might even charge my camera.

Now to get some of that Sugru stuff to mount as per the Middle Age Cyclist.

Andrew

Wingnut

Need advice on internet/telecom while cycling Australia

Postby Wingnut » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:07 pm

I'm curious to see how it goes Andrew, I'd love to be able to use my iPhone GPS & charge it too with my dynamo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Wingnut wrote:I'm curious to see how it goes Andrew, I'd love to be able to use my iPhone GPS & charge it too with my dynamo.

I was doing that with my E-Werks.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 am

Wingnut wrote:I'm curious to see how it goes Andrew, I'd love to be able to use my iPhone GPS & charge it too with my dynamo.
So am I :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:34 am

Baalzamon wrote:

More expensive but unless you get the stripped down no battery version. Also are there iPhone 4 issues IIRC without the battery with the e-Werk?

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:41 am

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:

More expensive but unless you get the stripped down no battery version. Also are there iPhone 4 issues IIRC without the battery with the e-Werk?

Andrew
Well if you look on sjscycles I discovered that the people over at apple blocked the e-werk battery with one of their firmware updates a while back :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: . Anything older than that doesn't work. But on my tour with TNT I plugged it in whilst I was rolling and it happily charged off the e-werk. This is not an issue for me now since my iPhone is on ebay and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which happily charges off my e-werk. I plug it in, and take off and it charges on the fly quite happily, the iphone you stop, you would need to unplug it and plug it back in when your speed is over 15kph = dangerous.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:50 am

Baalzamon wrote:Well if you look on sjscycles I discovered that the people over at apple blocked the e-werk battery with one of their firmware updates a while back :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: . Anything older than that doesn't work. But on my tour with TNT I plugged it in whilst I was rolling and it happily charged off the e-werk. This is not an issue for me now since my iPhone is on ebay and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 which happily charges off my e-werk. I plug it in, and take off and it charges on the fly quite happily, the iphone you stop, you would need to unplug it and plug it back in when your speed is over 15kph = dangerous.
This is one of the advantages with the Super-i-Cable; can charge the battery and then use it to charge the phone etc without being on the move, i.e., overcomes the iPhone issue. It can also charge the battery and say the GPS at the same time I think.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:09 am

Aushiker wrote: This is one of the advantages with the Super-i-Cable; can charge the battery and then use it to charge the phone etc without being on the move, i.e., overcomes the iPhone issue. It can also charge the battery and say the GPS at the same time I think.

Andrew
Having a read over on pedalpower about that, I don't think you can. The battery is internal to the Super-i-Cable and there is no y-adaptor either. Having 2 devices connected say your iPhone and Garmin would be pulling 10V and 1000mA - 1800mA which the Super-I-Cable is not rated for. My E-Werk can't even do that unless I use the cache battery in standalone mode and drain it to charge a device which is feasible. You would need the v4i package to be able to charge a second device.
However you can run dynamo lights and charge a device. Your light output may be reduced tho due to the demands of the device upon the system.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:18 am

Baalzamon wrote:However you can run dynamo lights and charge a device. Your light output may be reduced tho due to the demands of the device upon the system.
Ahh, that is what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 am

Just for some more info
I'm able to get 2.5 days usage out of my Garmin 705 before I feel it needs to be recharged. Downloading the data each night onto my laptop did charge it up slightly, however that does drain your laptop battery more. It doesn't take long to charge the 705, I'd imagine the 800 is the same, I found in 50kms it was fully charged again. Developing a plan about your phone battery life and other devices is a definite idea. You don't want to be needing to charge your phone and camera at the same time for instance. I was looking and did find a USB battery charger for my phone batteries, but I'm considering another camera and I'm watching that thread with interest.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:46 pm

Today I rewired my Pedalpower+ and lights. Previously I had the piggyback spade connectors on the PP+ so both lights and PP+ could be connected to the hub dynamo. I didn't particularly like the setup as it was untidy with two sets of wires coming off the dynamo and it was fiddly to disconnect the PP+. Instead I took a length of twin wire and put some spade connectors on the end to connect to the dynamo. The wire is a bit longer then the front forks and the other end terminates in an inline DC socket. The wire for the lights also terminates at the same DC socket so the lights always receive power from the dynamo. The PP+ input cable is terminated with an inline DC plug so I can easily plug it into the socket when I want to use it.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:17 pm

KenGS wrote:I took a length of twin wire and put some spade connectors on the end to connect to the dynamo. The wire is a bit longer then the front forks and the other end terminates in an inline DC socket. The wire for the lights also terminates at the same DC socket so the lights always receive power from the dynamo. The PP+ input cable is terminated with an inline DC plug so I can easily plug it into the socket when I want to use it.
Sounds tidy - I'm about to do this myself. Is the inline DC socket waterproof? Where did you get it? Can we see a picture please?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 pm

This is how my Supernova E3 and my Busch & Mueller E-werk are cabled
One connection, 2 cables.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Spade connectors on the dynamo. Could do with some more heatshrink to protect the joints
Some yellow heatshrink and yellow cable ties to camouflage the wire. One more cable tie would probably hold it closer to the forks. Hmmm, bike needs a clean...
Emerging at the top of the forks and terminated with a 2.5mm DC socket. Not waterproof but with the low voltage and current not entirely necessary. The wire to the lights is coiled up but when I'm happy with the connector and general reliability I'll cut to length. Also need to route the wiring under the forks but that involves removing the wheel and guards.
PP+ plugged in to the socket. A snap lock connector would be better. The connection came apart on one big bump but was easily restored without even having to stop the bike. Need to find a handy RC Hobby shop since they seem to sell the right sorts of connectors. The PP+ sits inside the handlebar bag.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:57 pm

KenGS wrote:Spade connectors on the dynamo. Could do with some more heatshrink to protect the joints
The Middle Aged Cyclist used Sugrufor this application. Might be an idea?

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Yes, some sugru would do the job. I can also envisage using it to weatherproof the DC plug and socket and hold them together more firmly. Also to make a dust cap for the socket when it's not in use.
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi

On the subject of solar power, there is quite an informative article (well to me anyway) at CGOAB on solar charging on longer tours.

Andrew

angelicalee8

Postby angelicalee8 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:41 pm

This is awesome. I am thinking about setting up a similar system on my phone, but I don't want it to weigh the bike down too much because I like to race competitively. How heavy is the system you have set up? And do you notice any drag when you are riding? Do you have any advice on equipment that won't weigh too much? Thanks!

iacl

Postby iacl » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:53 am

Hi, been looking at this for myself.

Looking at putting a tout terrain plug 2 into my stem, drives most 5v USB. And running it with a Power Monkey Extremeto create a backup source. happy with my iPhone / iPad / Galaxy note.

Can get the Plug installed for (AT)$250 at cheeky transport, and pick up the power monkey extrem on the net for (AT)$190.

As integrated system as I could find.