cycling shoes for the exploring tourist?

il padrone

Re: cycling shoes for the exploring tourist?

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:33 am

If you're after wide shoes I understand that the Cannondale range are particularly suitable. They are of course spd-suited. I know nothing about their models but they do a full range of shoes including strap up race shoes and more casual touring shoes.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 am

RonK wrote:[
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have both Shimano and Northwave shoes. The Shimanos are narrow and whilst reasonable comfortable to ride in, they are not at comfortable for walking. I have seen comments that you need to order up two sizes, which I would pretty much concur with.

The Northwaves are made on a generous last - this makes them suitable for my flat feet, but they also have a high internal volume and should therefore also suit a foot with a high arch.

And no, US shoes sizes are not the same as AUS/UK sizes, they are a size smaller, i.e. my AUS/UK size 11 = US size 12.

European shoes sizings are a much better guide, particularly if you are buying on the internet.

BTW, I've never seen a cycling shoe made specifically for a wide fitting.
Cheers Ronk - good to know
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:40 am

il padrone wrote:If you're after wide shoes I understand that the Cannondale range are particularly suitable. They are of course spd-suited. I know nothing about their models but they do a full range of shoes including strap up race shoes and more casual touring shoes.
Thanks Il Padrone,
I'll try to get to check them out next I'm in Sydney. :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:31 pm

rifraf wrote: What do you use for touring footwear Baalzamon?
I'm toying with the idea of spd's after 15 years with toeclips and straps.
On the last tour I had a pair of Shimano shoes which I discovered where way too narrow for me. Every couple of hours I had to stop and take my shoes off for 10 mins. I have since gotten a pair of Northwave shoes in both SPD and SPD-SL bolt patterns. I now have a specialized insole for arch support, but still sussing out if this shoe is suitable for my foot.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

mlavis

Postby mlavis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:54 pm

Firstly, I don't have a lot of experience with spd pedals for touring- i've only really used them on a racer I borrowed from my dad for a few months when my day to day bike got nicked a year ago. I like them a lot on a racer, but am thinking about the most versatile footwear for an extended tour on an expedition bike where a considerable amount of hiking and off/bike activities are going to take place. I think the shoes shown so far a a bit too much of a compromise on the 'off the bike' side of things- ie I wouldn't want to do a 3 day hike in them.

I do have a lot of experience with the 5:10 brand of flat soled mountain bike shoes and I like them a lot. I have used the Sam Hill edition for about a year and a half now and love them- not just for MTB but also for hiking and bouldering. The grip from the stealth rubber soles is truely amazing on rock surfaces and they have a nice rugged and boxy toe section that helps spare your toes from stubs etc. The only downside to them is that they are a little chunky, and they are not the quickest dryers.

I am thinking that a pair of these combined with a pair of good sandals would cover all my needs on and off the bike.

Mark

RonK

cycling shoes for the exploring tourist?

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:52 pm

mlavis wrote:Firstly, I don't have a lot of experience with spd pedals for touring- i've only really used them on a racer
You do realize that there is a world of difference between SPD MTB cleats and SPD-SL road cleats?

SPD sandals are popular with some, but often wearers seem utterly unaware how much their feet stink.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Baalzamon wrote: I have since gotten a pair of Northwave shoes in both SPD and SPD-SL bolt patterns. I now have a specialized insole for arch support, but still sussing out if this shoe is suitable for my foot.
How did you end up getting on with your Northwaves Baalzamon?
Which ones caught your eye?
Cheers
Aidan

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:48 pm

I've got the Northwave Vertigo Pro Road Shoes and the Northwave Lizzard Pro MTB Shoes 100km rides are fine in the Lizzard Pro MTB shoes, done 80km in my road shoes and they have been fine as well. Yet to do a 200km ride

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:51 pm

I have some old Sidi's for my SPD's and use these's when I'm riding flat pedals, a pair of old Merrell's which are really stiff.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Just purchased a pair of Northwave touring shoes. As Ron K said they are wider than Shimano shoes and my feet appreciate this extra room. Early days but some observations so far... they are not as stiff in the sole which I noticed on a steep long climb, I don't get hot foot as much, the inner sole is a bit rough for the sole of my foot and they are lighter than the Shimanos I've been wearing for touring. I'm doing a light 3 day tour in the Otways this week so I'll have a chance to see how feel day after day.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:49 am

Uncle Just wrote:Just purchased a pair of Northwave touring shoes. As Ron K said they are wider than Shimano shoes and my feet appreciate this extra room. Early days but some observations so far... they are not as stiff in the sole which I noticed on a steep long climb, I don't get hot foot as much, the inner sole is a bit rough for the sole of my foot and they are lighter than the Shimanos I've been wearing for touring. I'm doing a light 3 day tour in the Otways this week so I'll have a chance to see how feel day after day.
These new XT Trail pedals are a great match! Double-sided cleats with a platform that provides enough support to prevent hot-spotting but without unecessary bulk. At a pinch they could be used for that short ride down the shop in casual shoes. They are easy to engage with no need to look down - just what is needed for hill starts.

Also available in XTR and Deore

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:20 am

Baalzamon wrote:I've got the Northwave Vertigo Pro Road Shoes and the Northwave Lizzard Pro MTB Shoes 100km rides are fine in the Lizzard Pro MTB shoes, done 80km in my road shoes and they have been fine as well. Yet to do a 200km ride
What did you wear for your tour? :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 am

rifraf wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:I've got the Northwave Vertigo Pro Road Shoes and the Northwave Lizzard Pro MTB Shoes 100km rides are fine in the Lizzard Pro MTB shoes, done 80km in my road shoes and they have been fine as well. Yet to do a 200km ride
Northwave Lizzard Pro MTB Shoes

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 am

Baalzamon wrote:
rifraf wrote:
Northwave Lizzard Pro MTB Shoes
When you find a spare mo,
it would be nice to hear a bit about your specialized arch supports.
I bought some Northwave Drifter GTX shoes which are so far comfortable.
They appear to have the width I need (just - they have a small pressure on my little toe).
They dont have as good an arch covering as the Northwave Evolution roadshoe and they dont
really have much "tuck" of the tongue when I'm doing them up.
I was given some Evolution shoes to try but I onsold them due to having funds only for one pair of shoes
and my use failed to justify the road specific shoes.
However I do like the Drifters style and subtle-ness and I'm a big fan of a vibram sole which I first came across in hiking boots.
Like my old hiking boots (timberland Iditarod ) they offer a gortex membrane to keep my feet dry.
If I get a quarter of the lifespan of the hiking boots (which were thrashed and worn daily) I'll be more than happy.
Cheers
Aidan :D

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 am

Well I have the blue specialized in BG High Performance Footbeds. My Esperance - Perth tour 100km days my foots were getting numb and I had to take off shoes to relieve them, but they were different shoes and thrown out now. Specialized MTB shoe, not too sure what model but it was too narrow for me. 100km days for me now I'm not getting numbing for it. I have standards arches on my foot.

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks Ron I'll have a look at those wider platform pedals. BTW I find the reduced size pedals eg the Speedplays on my roadie, also give me a terrible case of hotfoot. I think I'll go back to a bigger platform pedal for those too.

Re the Northwave touring shoes, I would recommend them after 3 hard days riding. Comfy, wider fit and ok to walk in. Reduced hotfoot too. Three velcro straps make them easy to get on and off. The cleat/pedal interface did squeak a bit on some severe climbs but a spray with something will hopefully cure that.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Uncle Just wrote:The cleat/pedal interface did squeak a bit on some severe climbs but a spray with something will hopefully cure that.
That would be your knees, if they are anything like mine... :lol:

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:34 pm

:lol:

satanas

Postby satanas » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:12 am

I'm going to offer a different perspective.

First, I should probably say that I detest SPD pedals and copies thereof. I've tried them a couple of times, with both fixed and floating cleats and don't get on with them at all. Instead, I find Speedplay Frog pedals much better for clipless use since I find them easier to enter and exit, and the float makes my knees happy. They're lighter too.

That's by the by though. In 2009, I spent several months in India and Nepal, including some cycling. I took only one pair of shoes with me, Salomon XA Pro GoreTex trail runners. These have a number of virtues:
Soles are grippy on almost all surfaces that aren't both polished and wet
Soles are relatively stiff and so don't bend horribly when pedalling, or allow rocks to bruise your feet when trekking
The quick lacing system is easy and fast to put on and remove, and tucks away where it cannot snag on toe straps or vegetation
GoreTex upper keeps snow melt and other water out unless the whole shoe is submerged
They breathe very well
They're light

In India I ended upsing them with smallish MTB pedals and toeclips and straps but this wasn't ideal. Next time, I might try combining the shoes with a light, thin platform pedal, and a strap like this: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/08/ ... ar-riders/

I think a platform pedal is better for touring than that shown at the link above (on a MTB at least) as it will give a larger area underfoot , and will be easier to enter/exit if used without too many pins, or cage teeth. Pedalling on the reverse side will be secure, and the velcro straps won't get damaged if they hit the deck. (It's worth looking here too: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 28&t=25517) Anyway, I plan on giving it a go.

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 am

I tried mtb Lake shoes in Geelong, they were a lot more comeforable to walk in than Shimano shoes I found.

has anyone used Lake shoes while touring?

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:26 pm

has anyone tried Shimano AM45 SPD for touring because I tried a pair on and they felt good. I like the fact that if you are on rough ground you can use that shoes on a no spd pedals if you need to exit quickly. they are als design for mountain bicyle so you can walk in them

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-revie ... 5-spd-shoe

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 pm

At the moment for the Darwin to Perth tour I'm thinking Keen sandals with Speedplay Delirium platform pedals, or Keen Commuter sandals with SPDs. I have a pair of keens and like them a lot. They need a wash every now and then, but there is not a lot of terrain they do not do well in. Last week i was pushing a dinghy up river in them.

Anyones thoughts?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 pm

J Quinton wrote:At the moment for the Darwin to Perth tour I'm thinking Keen sandals with Speedplay Delirium platform pedals, or Keen Commuter sandals with SPDs. I have a pair of keens and like them a lot. They need a wash every now and then, but there is not a lot of terrain they do not do well in. Last week i was pushing a dinghy up river in them.

Anyones thoughts?
Have you made a decision?

I am rethinking my approach now as well. My initial plan was to wear my current mtb shoes and carry a pair of Keen Newport H2 for around camp, towns and my planned climb of Mt Augustus and any other walking I do but now thinking about the options and maybe just going with Keen Commuters as my only footwear. I guess I could easily remove the cleats for say the day hike up Mt Augustus. The other down side is putting up with the click click walking around in them.

@il padrone are your Keen Commuters the Commuter II or I? Just wondering if the Commuter II might be a bit wider. I currently have a pair of Keen Newport H2 in size 11 (US) which are a nice fit.

Another idea I had was getting a pair of Vibram Fivefingers Treksports as my off the bike footwear. Light but pricey.

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:26 am

Good thread. Bookmarked. Now I have my VWR I need to get a pair of SPD shoes to go with the Shimano M505s that came with the bike.

Similar to the OP I am looking for a pair of shoes that are comfortable and effective both on and off the bike as I'd like to be able to do some short hikes while exploring each area I tour to. Nothing major, maybe 6-8km walks over a variety of terrain. I'll be taking a pair of Sanuk 'Sidewalk Surfers' with me for wearing around the camp site etc.

I'm also blessed with wider feet, E/W usually depending on the style.

I had the Northwave bookmarked as Wiggle were selling them, however, as RonK mentioned, they are now not being sold any more.

Not wearing sandals no matter how comfortable they might be.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 am

http://Bike24.net have a fair few options for those interested including

Shimano SH-RT82 Touring Shoe (road only given the lack of grip) - $87

Andrew