your rain jacket when touring?

Aushiker

Re: your rain jacket when touring?

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:19 pm

elStado wrote:I've read that putting a plastic bag on a leather saddle isn't very good as it can't breath.
They are referring to storing a saddle, not riding with it or putting a bag on it to protect from the rain if left out say on a tour. The Brooks cover is not a bag for storing it either.

Andrew
Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:I've read that putting a plastic bag on a leather saddle isn't very good as it can't breath.
They are referring to storing a saddle, not riding with it or putting a bag on it to protect from the rain if left out say on a tour. The Brooks cover is not a bag for storing it either.

Andrew
I don't want to hijack this thread, but just while we are on the topic, what is the best way to store a leather saddle? I presume the wrapping it in a cloth bag/sheet in a dry place out of sunlight would be best? I ask because I bought a Brooks saddle recently but I won't be able to use it for a couple of months due to injury.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 pm

I've bought a Swift that I will be keeping aside until the old Conquest dies (may be a couple of years). It's stored downstairs in the cardboard box it came in from Brooks. I reckon that should be fine to keep it dry and clean, but not too dry.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:00 pm

elStado wrote:I don't want to hijack this thread, but just while we are on the topic, what is the best way to store a leather saddle? I presume the wrapping it in a cloth bag/sheet in a dry place out of sunlight would be best? I ask because I bought a Brooks saddle recently but I won't be able to use it for a couple of months due to injury.
Impregnate a soft cloth with Brooks Proofide or Ge Wy from your local saddlery. Work it liberally into the underside of the saddle, and wipe lightly over the upper, then wrap the saddle in the cloth and put it in a hessian bag. Store it in a cool dry place.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:49 pm

Aushiker wrote:An early days user of the Showers Pass Elite 2 jacket. I got mine from BicyclingHub.com as http://originalityuniforms.com.au/ didn't bother to reply to an email seeking clarification of inventory. I don't support business that can't be bothered replying to an email.
Well I wish I'd seen this before I ordered one from Originality Uniforms (on Jul 11 - only two days after Andrew's post!!)
A month later I don't have the jacket, I don't have an email receipt, I don't have a reply to my email asking where it is and I don't have a reply to the voicemail left when the phone number listed on Originality Uniform's website wasn't answered at 11am on a weekday.
I've just started the process of retrieving my money via the Paypal dispute resolution process. Tragic really, I thought I'd support an Australian retailer and fellow forumite (or ex forumite depending on which post you read) and I've been rewarded with my first failed 'net purchase.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 pm

RobertFrith wrote: Well I wish I'd seen this before I ordered one from Originality Uniforms (on Jul 11 - only two days after Andrew's post!!)
A month later I don't have the jacket, I don't have an email receipt, I don't have a reply to my email asking where it is and I don't have a reply to the voicemail left when the phone number listed on Originality Uniform's website wasn't answered at 11am on a weekday.
I've just started the process of retrieving my money via the Paypal dispute resolution process. Tragic really, I thought I'd support an Australian retailer and fellow forumite (or ex forumite depending on which post you read) and I've been rewarded with my first failed 'net purchase.
Sorry to hear this. I actually gave them a second shot a week or so ago and tried their online form, but again got the silence treatment. Will not bother again.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:51 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
Aushiker wrote:An early days user of the Showers Pass Elite 2 jacket. I got mine from BicyclingHub.com as http://originalityuniforms.com.au/ didn't bother to reply to an email seeking clarification of inventory. I don't support business that can't be bothered replying to an email.
Well I wish I'd seen this before I ordered one from Originality Uniforms (on Jul 11 - only two days after Andrew's post!!)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT
Hope this is helpful for your next order
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:18 pm

How did everyone find the sizing with these jackets?
Was the sizing guide about right?
I hate buying clothing online as I seem to end up with sizing issues.
Look forward to your ideas/suggestions
Cheers

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:30 pm

rifraf wrote:How did everyone find the sizing with these jackets?
I hate buying clothing online as I seem to end up with sizing issues.
Look forward to your ideas/suggestions
Cheers
I'm in a similar position as I'm pretty slim but tallish. Borderline S-M usually, but jackets are often a looser cut/fit.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:44 pm

I ended up emailing Showers Pass about the lack of response from their local dealer Originality Uniforms.

They got back to me very quickly. They've had another complaint similar to mine. Apparently stock of yellow jackets in small is short. Showers Pass isn't claiming that that's an excuse and say that they are "taking action" with Originality Uniforms.

Despite this I still haven't had an response from Originality Uniforms to my Paypal buyers protection contact, earlier emails or phone messages, however they did pick up the phone on my second attempt today and breezily suggested that I might like to try a red in medium. I've accepted on the basis that it gets to me Monday and I can return it for a refund if the sizing isn't right.
Last edited by hiflange on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm normally a small in shirts, but S/M in jackets. I'll let you know once I've tried the medium that is (allegedly) on it's way to me

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:02 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
I'm normally a small in shirts, but S/M in jackets. I'll let you know once I've tried the medium that is (allegedly) on it's way to me
Great!
Look forward to your update Robert :!:

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:19 pm

I was looking for a good wet weather jacket and went with the recommendations on this thread. The Showers Pass jacket arrived today from Bicycling Hub. I bought a medium after a large size jacket (Mountain Designs) I've had previously was a bit too big. (It was very expensive to replace as they are now retailing for well over $500 if I recall rightly. Great jacket but it lost its waterproofness despite correct treatment.) The medium is possibly a tad tight as I'm tallish, slight build with long arms but I haven't used it in anger yet. I tried it on with 3 layers underneath and it allows some movement without it being excessively tight. I do agree with Ron in that the front appears to be cut a bit short.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Uncle Just wrote:I was looking for a good wet weather jacket and went with the recommendations on this thread. The Showers Pass jacket arrived today from Bicycling Hub. I bought a medium after a large size jacket (Mountain Designs) I've had previously was a bit too big. (It was very expensive to replace as they are now retailing for well over $500 if I recall rightly. Great jacket but it lost its waterproofness despite correct treatment.) The medium is possibly a tad tight as I'm tallish, slight build with long arms but I haven't used it in anger yet. I tried it on with 3 layers underneath and it allows some movement without it being excessively tight. I do agree with Ron in that the front appears to be cut a bit short.
What is your height and weight? I've been wanting to get the Elite 2.0 since June this year but have held off due to size/fitting concerns. I don't really need it right now, so I prefer to wait and find out more info. I am not a total shorty at ~181cm, but quite slim at 65kg, so I am always borderline small-medium for fitting.

It's quite annoying actually, even when buying things from a store as different brands have different sizes and fits. I really need to put on another 10kg so I fit properly into a medium, but alas after trying to do that for the past 5 years it still hasn't happened.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm holding off for the opposite reason.
I'm carrying a gut currently and dont like the idea of the front being short.
I dont want to have to buy a XL and find myself swimming in it but by the same
token dont want my waist exposed to the elements because I've a gut which
thankfully is going very slowly down now I'm getting more exercise.
I think I'll put off a purchase till next spring when I'll be in better shape.
Also who knows what new gear will be out by then.
I've a non cycling specific reflex macpac raincoat that I think I can
make do with until then now the warmer weather is on the way.

RonK

your rain jacket when touring?

Postby RonK » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:11 pm

rifraf wrote: I'm carrying a gut currently and dont like the idea of the front being short.
I dont want to have to buy a XL and find myself swimming in it but by the same token dont want my waist exposed to the elements
You should not misinterpret my comment that it is short at the front. I was referring to its use as streetwear, compared to a bushwalking shell. It should be obvious that a long front is not suitable for cycling. I could instead have said that the tail is long.

To my thinking a shell needs to be plenty roomy to achieve good ventilation. And of course, to accommodate a few extra layers at the same time.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:11 pm

elStado wrote:What is your height and weight? I've been wanting to get the Elite 2.0 since June this year but have held off due to size/fitting concerns. I don't really need it right now, so I prefer to wait and find out more info. I am not a total shorty at ~181cm, but quite slim at 65kg, so I am always borderline small-medium for fitting.
I'm 180cm tall and 60kgs. I bought a medium and it's fine.

I too would like to be about 5-10kg heavier, but I've been at this weight since I was about 18 yo, so it just ain't going to happen :(
Mandatory helmet law?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm 181cm and 75kgs atm. In hindsight I'd go for the large for touring when you tend to wear bulkier layers underneath but I was measured before I bought it and the medium seemed to be the go according to the sizing chart. It's no biggie as I'm carrying winter fat and coming back from 2-3 months off the bike. I will get down to 72 kgs by the AAC. I will get down to 71kgs by the AAC. I will get down to.... :lol: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:24 pm

il padrone wrote:
elStado wrote:What is your height and weight? I've been wanting to get the Elite 2.0 since June this year but have held off due to size/fitting concerns. I don't really need it right now, so I prefer to wait and find out more info. I am not a total shorty at ~181cm, but quite slim at 65kg, so I am always borderline small-medium for fitting.

I too would like to be about 5-10kg heavier, but I've been at this weight since I was about 18 yo, so it just ain't going to happen :(
I'm 180cm and at approx 94 reckon you can have free of charge 16kg - I'm generous to a fault

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 pm

il padrone wrote:
Cool. Thanks for the info. I might hold off for the moment as I won't need it now that winter is over.

Mind you - who knows how this US?AUD rate is gonna hold up/develop, so it might be a safe bet $-wise to order it soon.
True. I'm in the same boat. Even when I do little exercise, except for the occasional 15 minute walk, and eat more food (as I have been over the past 2 months due to my injury) I am still sitting on 64/65kg. My body simply compensates by burning it off faster, which means I am walking around in shorts and a singlet while my housemates are rugged up haha. But anyway, back on topic, if the medium fit you perfectly at your weight and height, it should be fine for me as well. Nothing beats a personal recommendation.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:34 am

jemo27 wrote:
what do you carry to keep of the rain when you are cycle touring?
It depends on the route area and weather forecasts. If there's a risk that getting real wet and wind blown would be a serious hypothermia likelihood, then my Mont Hammerhead goes in the pannier.
If not, the only top body shell cover needed is the Ground Effect lightweight, compact Phantom
http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-d ... HA-RAI.htm

Ground Effects 3/4 waterproof shorts always go in.

Where possible I like to support local Aus and NZ firms like Mont and Ground Effect

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:08 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:Where possible I like to support local Aus and NZ firms like Mont and Ground Effect
+1

The Showerspass gear is excellent, but I have also bought a few 'Zip Tie' LS jerseys from Ground Effect and have been quite impressed with the quality, design, and price/speed of shipping.

I'll definitely buy from them where practical. They also have excellent customer service and will reply, in length and detail, to any questions you email them. Very cool company and one I happily support.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Hi

Another possibility to add to the mix is O2 Nokomis jacket. There is a review of it at mtbreviews.net.

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:45 pm

From my experience with the Showerspass Elite 2.0 I can confirm that is is significantly lighter and more compact than the Mont Hammerhead (I used one for several years), and significantly more breathable and waterproof than GE's Stormtrooper (my son uses this - he gets wet, I stay dry).

I like to support local firms too, I used to love my old Wilderness Equipment Cyclecag. But in the real world today, it's not so viable. Australian TCF industry firms can't compete with Vietnamese, Chinese or Indonesian production costs. Even the Mont jacket is now made in Fiji, I believe.
Mandatory helmet law?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:33 pm

il padrone wrote:From my experience with the Showerspass Elite 2.0 I can confirm that is is significantly lighter and more compact than the Mont Hammerhead (I used one for several years), and significantly more breathable and waterproof than GE's Stormtrooper (my son uses this - he gets wet, I stay dry).

I like to support local firms too, I used to love my old Wilderness Equipment Cyclecag. But in the real world today, it's not so viable. Australian TCF industry firms can't compete with Vietnamese, Chinese or Indonesian production costs. Even the Mont jacket is now made in Fiji, I believe.
This is a good comparison to know about...thanks.

A more general comment about rain jackets is that over 30+ years of bushwalking and cycling in Australia I have found the rain jacket to be probably the most redundant piece of kit I have because of how underused it is. At least here in S.E. Australia, it is on the 'must have' list but probably the 'least likely' to be seriously needed list. It'd be interesting to know how many people buy new ones because there is something better on offer rather than having worn their old one out.