This tent is made for camping...

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby maxknott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:05 pm

keeps me company on tour, and keeps my back warm too :-)
maxknott

by BNA » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:50 pm

BNA

Postby jemo27 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:50 pm

Anyone used a Mont Moondance for cycle touring?
It similar to MSR Hubba but with better waterproofing in the floor.
I have a Hubba but the floor gets too wet for me.

moondance one is 1.6kgs, moondance 2 is 2kgs
jemo27

Postby philmart » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:02 pm

I have the Goondie 2 -30 - One Planet. Very happy with this. Never had a leak and does not require a tub. Also had it in very windy conditions without a problem.

I like 2 man tents just for my use. I get to store stuff inside if I need too, AND I am on the hefty side! Weighs about 2kg which is heavy compared to some here but seems well made.
philmart

Postby Wingnut » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:26 pm

I have the OP Goondie 1:30D...great tent, I'm thinking of getting the 2:30D so my girlfriend can come along in the future...
"It never gets easier, you just go faster..." - Greg Lemond

"Because technology alone is a poor substitute for experience." - Richard Sachs
Wingnut

Postby philmart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:08 am

Wingnut

The only real problem I had with this goondie is that the fly is bright orange. Other versions like the 1-30 have a different coloured fly I believe.

I have had it in some pretty high winds and it has worked a treat for me. Really happy with this purchase. Well made tent.
philmart

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah the 30D are orange and the 15D are green which I think looks a lot nicer...

Good review here of OP Goondie...

http://bushwalkinglight.blogspot.com.au ... -term.html

Wingnut

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

I've had a bright red Hilleberg Soulo one man tent for a couple of years now.
It has served me very well. Quick and easy to pitch and has been excellent in some very heavy coastal blows, occasional heavy downpour and a sub-zero alpine night. The only minor criticism is that it can get hot inside in warm and humid weather.
I just bought but haven't yet tried an accessory mesh inner. Should provide better ventilation in summer.
At the time of ordering I also inquired as to the availability of a replacement outer. The current red one is still in excellent condition but I was concerned about UV degradation. Turned out they had a couple of spare Green Soulo outers and I ordered one too.
I now have options for summer and winter (green and red, warm or ventilated, lairy or stealthy) and in effect two complete tents that share the same poles.
Champing at the bit for the next tour (as I said in another post). :D
Tim

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm

That's why I steered away from Hilleberg...a four season tent that's real only good for three seasons...

Wingnut

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Wingnut wrote:..a four season tent that's real only good for three seasons...

Unless you fit a complete mesh inner.
When I say it's hot, that is compared to my previous tent which had two doors and flow through ventilation.
A conventional Soulo with a solid inner still has a mesh door which can be kept open and the outer door can be left open too. It's not unbearably hot, just not as cool as a tent with double entry.
Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:23 pm

Wingnut wrote:I have the OP Goondie 1:30D...great tent, I'm thinking of getting the 2:30D so my girlfriend can come along in the future...

I have been very happy with One Planet gear in the past.
One of the best tent I ever owned was a OP Caddis. Not light, but absolutely bombproof, part of their industrial range. I still use it from time to time. Shaped very much like the Macpac Olympus (which I also owned, way back). The Caddis is over ten years old, been pitched for weeks at a time in full summer sun, hammered in all weather conditions and is still going strong.
Also own a synthetic OP sleeping bag. Still does the job in milder conditions and is nearly as old as the tent. Probably had hundreds of nights use, washed a heap of times and is as good as the day I bought it.
Excellent quality gear.
Tim

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:26 am

From Gizmag.

... One tent manufacturer has identified an interesting way of eliminating a few of those poles, trading the multi-prong tent pole system for a tent body with integrated elastic cord in a design aimed at saving weight and hassle.

The Tension design uses a main spine and two small cross poles The internal cord system eliminates the need for more pole segmentsThe fly is vented for better breathingThe Tension includes a rain fly and taped seamsView all
Those that really despise tent poles may be disappointed to find out that Brooks-Range hasn't eliminated them completely from its new Tension Tent line. However, it has lessened the reliance on poles with its internal cord system. Instead of the more elaborate X and Y pole systems common on other tents, the Tension tents use a single, central carbon pole and two small cross poles.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby tmac100 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 am

This looks like one heck of a good tent!! Relatively inexpensive and with lots of floor space. I wonder how robust it is in terms of longevity. Unfortunately I am NOT going to buy another tent to find out anything about longevity! On my next trip (Perth and east) I will bring my Hilleberg Nallo GT simply because of the lack of trees in places to use the Hennessy ..:D

OTOH, my travelling companion will bring my Hennessy Hammock (when we meet up in Adelaide??) that I used along the Savannah Way (2006) and on my trip Adelaide - Sydney via Broken Hill, Pooncairie and Wentworth (2012), just in case I have the time and opportunity to get going from Cairns to Cape York. Common sense tells me there are plenty of trees up N for the hammock :shock: Funny how Australian shelter "opportunities" change.
tmac100

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:11 am

From Big Agnes ...

Big Agnes' photos suggest that the specific lighting layout will vary based on the individual models, with the company saying that the mtnGLO line will encompass a number of different products, including complete tents ranging from ultralight backpacking models to base camp tents as well as an LED add-on kit... Big Agnes revealed the mtnGLO line in Europe at the recent Outdoor Friedrichshafen Show in July and will show it in North America at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market next week. It plans to begin selling the tents early next year, with the Gilpin Falls 4 mtnGLO, which appears to be the flagship of the lineup, to retail for US$599.95 and include a Joey T55 Powercase. This portable, lithium-polymer power pack provides enough juice to charge tablets and can recharge a smartphone three times. The mtnGLO lighting accessory kit will be offered for $39.95

Source: Gizmag

Andrew
Aushiker

Previous

Return to Touring Australia