This tent is made for camping...

il padrone

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:50 pm

rifraf wrote:Hi Wingnut,
I was thinking of you the other day when I saw a bike go past with a frame extension hanging off his seatpost. It was for carrying a surfboard and I've never seen one before. The rider said it was very stable except in windy conditions. Its hard to describe but something apparently readily available from surf shops (at least in WA). I didnt have my camera with me but as its in my neighborhood, I'll keep my eyes open for a photo opportunity (if you havent seen/heard of them before).
This one ??

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:07 pm

il padrone wrote: This one ??
Hi IP,
Yes that what I saw.
I havnt seen it since but I was impressed on the day.
Not much fun I reckon on a windy day of which Perth gets plenty,
but for a meander down to the beach it looked practical enough to mention. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:18 pm

petie wrote:Wondering if anyone here uses a super light & small tent?
What you call "super light & small"? I use a Tarptent Scarp 1 ... reasonably light ... big inside and a little bulky on the bike.

You can see it on the top of the rack in this photo ...

Andrew

petie

Postby petie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:45 am

I did like the look of the Tarptent, in the upper end of my weight range but WAY out of my price range!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:49 pm

I was thinking of one of those surfboard mounts for my scooter but I was a bit worried my scooter wouldn't be in the car park on my return...

I've got a One Planet Goondie 1: 30D, not a bad little tent if I don't say...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:26 am

Reminds me, I've got to make some time to do some seam sealing on my tents.
I know what will happen if I procrastinate too long..... It wont get done and the first night away, it'll rain..........

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm

rifraf wrote:Reminds me, I've got to make some time to do some seam sealing on my tents.
I know what will happen if I procrastinate too long..... It wont get done and the first night away, it'll rain..........
I can't remember last time I used seam sealer on a tent. No leaks...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:
petie wrote:Wondering if anyone here uses a super light & small tent?
What you call "super light & small"? I use a Tarptent Scarp 1 ... reasonably light ... big inside and a little bulky on the bike.
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Tarptent Moment DW as shelter for an ultralite tour. Edit: fixed the link.

But not yet convinced that camping is a really what ultralite touring is about.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 pm

RonK wrote: I've been toying with the idea of getting a Tarptent Moment DW as shelter for an ultralite tour.
How does it differ from the Scarp 1 :?:
RonK wrote:But not yet convinced that camping is a really what ultralite touring is about.
Please expand :?

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm

rifraf wrote: RonK wrote:But not yet convinced that camping is a really what ultralite touring is about.

He means sleeping in a nice, soft, cosy hotel or motel bed. SOFT being the operative word. :D
(The bed that is, not Ron, of course.)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:33 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: I've been toying with the idea of getting a Tarptent Moment DW as shelter for an ultralite tour.
RonK wrote:But not yet convinced that camping is a really what ultralite touring is about.
Tarptent Moment DW is 400g lighter than the Scarp 1
It's cheaper by almost $50
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:35 pm

rifraf wrote:
See my post here. Do I really want to take a tent?

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Tim wrote:
rifraf wrote: RonK wrote:But not yet convinced that camping is a really what ultralite touring is about.

He means sleeping in a nice, soft, cosy hotel or motel bed. SOFT being the operative word. :D
(The bed that is, not Ron, of course.)
Hehe - got it in one Tim. Although I'm not convinced the idea of riding 100+ kilometres per day day is so smart. Maybe I'm going SOFT in the head... :lol: :lol: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:03 pm

RonK wrote: Try a Wilderness Equipment Overhang (or UL Overhang if you want to save weight).

You will want at least the medium size.

I took your advice and grabbed one of the UL versions last night when I spotted this:
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/wildern ... eohsilmeuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a voucher for an extra 15% which brought the total down to $152.57 which was way below recommended retail :)
Last edited by rifraf on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:38 pm

rifraf wrote:I took your advice and grabbed one of the UL versions last night when I spotted this:
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/wildern ... eohsilmeuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a voucher for an extra 15% which brought the total down to $152.57 which was way below recommended retail :)
Yeah, that's a good buy.

Last time I walked the Overland Track (in October, so still cold and possibility of snow), an Overhang and a plastic body bag was all I took for a tent. Since there are huts on the track a tent is really only needed if the hut is full, but even that is unlikely since nowadays there is a booking system to control the numbers. But it only operates over summer so in October it's still possible to arrive at a full hut.

I didn't really have to use it, but I spent a couple of nights sleeping outdoors on the lovely wooden tent platforms provided for overflow at the huts just to try it out. It worked really well on the tent platform with its multitude of tie down points, using trekking poles for supports.

It will be an excellent shade over your camp, but are you going to carry both your bivy bag and tent?

I've had itchy fingers too, and ended up pressing the Buy button on that Tarptent Moment DW I was looking at. I don't really need another tent, so it must be cabin fever - usually I'd be touring now but not enough leave available this year. It arrived during the week and although I haven't pitched it yet, it's an impressively small and light package.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:Another option for those interested in lighter tents. These popped up over at the Bushwalking Australia forums. The brand is Nordisk and they have a few options such as the Telemark 1 which is similar to my Tarptent Scarp 1.

There is also a review on the Telemark 2 blogpackinglight.

Andrew
I see they claim the Telemark2 to be the worlds lightest two person tent which I imagine will be a tough claim to maintain with tents getting lighter all the time.
I spotted this link is broken sell their Svalbard 1 SI One Person Tent
http://www.this link is broken/nordisk-svalbar ... rson-tent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
for around $273 delivered with gold membership, so not too hard on the wallet.
1760grams so not too heavy to haul on the bicycle and one of their bit heavier Polyurethane coated models which appear to be more waterproof than their silicanised ultralight models, as well as being more breathable.
http://www.nordisk.eu/media-center/medi ... ard-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks to be an entry level tent thats strong and waterproof though I didnt see a lot of reviews online.

Im not in the market myself but had I been I might have looked harder at this one.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:14 pm

RonK wrote: Yeah, that's a good buy.
I thought so.
When you initially suggested I look at it, I nearly went into shock at the price, having been making do with a trailer tarp.
This is basically $100 off RRP making the price much more doable, bringing it down into the realm of their standard tarp price.
I just got off the phone having confirmed the available colour is gumtree green which for me is a win. :D
RonK wrote:Last time I walked the Overland Track (in October, so still cold and possibility of snow), an Overhang and a plastic body bag was all I took for a tent. Since there are huts on the track a tent is really only needed if the hut is full, but even that is unlikely since nowadays there is a booking system to control the numbers. But it only operates over summer so in October it's still possible to arrive at a full hut.

I didn't really have to use it, but I spent a couple of nights sleeping outdoors on the lovely wooden tent platforms provided for overflow at the huts just to try it out. It worked really well on the tent platform with its multitude of tie down points, using trekking poles for supports.
A bivy and tarp does make a versatile package offering the choice of not bothering with the tarp if the conditions are right.
RonK wrote:It will be an excellent shade over your camp, but are you going to carry both your bivy bag and tent?
No, like yourself, my knees are past their prime so looking more and more to take less these days.
I'll do more research for my future trips rather than just hauling more shelter options out of hand.

RonK wrote:I've had itchy fingers too, and ended up pressing the Buy button on that Tarptent Moment DW I was looking at. I don't really need another tent, so it must be cabin fever - usually I'd be touring now but not enough leave available this year. It arrived during the week and although I haven't pitched it yet, it's an impressively small and light package.
I'll look forward to reading about your review of the Moment DW.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:57 pm

rifraf wrote:I see they claim the Telemark2 to be the worlds lightest two person tent which I imagine will be a tough claim to maintain with tents getting lighter all the time.
As always it is important to understand what you are actually getting and how the weight is actually measured. A couple of reviews on the Telemark 2 can be found online. One is at blogpackinglight and there is some discussion at backpackinglight.com.

If the claimed 880 grams is correct (i.e., for the tent as used in the field) I would be seriously looking at it if I needed a new tent, but only for single person use. Height and other limitations of the design (to reduce weight) would put me off using it as a two person tent.

One more point ... not a warmer weather tent by the looks.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:As always it is important to understand what you are actually getting and how the weight is actually measured.
Too right. According to the specification, the Tarptent Moment DW weights 0.96kg.

With solid instead of mesh interior, the extra crossing pole (both poles in carbon) and two extra stakes and cords, weighed in its stuff sack - it comes out at 1.33kg.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:15 pm

I bought some MSR tent pegs. I'm thinking that it might be time (in my looming dotage) to go weight weenie(ish) ... the new pegs are carbon cored, sheathed in titanium, with poplycarbonite tips and tops.

They look nice, but they didn't cost nice. I had to sell a kidney to afford them unfortunately ... but on the up-side, selling a kidney reduced my touring weight by between 125 to170 grams. Saving 170 grams, is equal to the weight 34 MSR carbon cored titanium sheathed pegs. I could only afford 4 pegs unfortunately ... but looks like being a big weight weenie success. I only need now, another 4 pegs. So all kidney donations, from here on, appreciated.

Photo coming.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:23 pm

WarrenH wrote:I bought some MSR tent pegs. I'm thinking that it might be time (in my looming dotage) to go weight weenie(ish) ... the new pegs are carbon cored, sheathed in titanium, with poplycarbonite tips and tops.

They look nice, but they didn't cost nice. I had to sell a kidney to afford them unfortunately ... but on the up-side, selling a kidney reduced my touring weight by between 125 to170 grams. Saving 170 grams, is equal to the weight 85 MSR carbon cored titanium sheathed pegs. I could only afford 4 pegs unfortunately ... but looking like being a big weight weenie success.

Photo coming.

Warren.
Don't you think that's a bit over the top Warren? I would have thought a kidney worth at least 6 carbon cored titanium sheathed pegs. :lol:

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 am

RonK wrote: ... at least 6 carbon cored titanium sheathed pegs. :lol:
Ron, G'day. Now that you mention it, ... umm! possibly.

At the time, I was easily won-over by knowing that these coloured pegs, could put me into the Hipster Class of off-road tourer. Have you seen the colour of my Timber Loft Lite tent? These pegs will enhance the tents red trim and red webbing.

How gorgeous will my tent look now? ...wow!!! :mrgreen:

I doubt that I could push them into the ground in my neck of the bush, but down the coast on the grassy headlands and in the soft ground of the Travelling Stock Reserves they will be excellent, hopefully.

Warren.

PS, Did I mention that I'm also colour blind?
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:16 pm

WarrenH wrote: I doubt that I could push them into the ground in my neck of the bush, but down the coast on the grassy headlands and in the soft ground of the Travelling Stock Reserves they will be excellent, hopefully.

Warren.

PS, Did I mention that I'm also colour blind?
G'day Warren,
do you use anything in the way of a footprint under your tent?

I think thats the word I've heard used.
If I've got it wrong, I'm meaning something between your floor and the ground for a bit of protection for the tent.

I've a Wilderness Equipment tarp on the way for overhead duty and am casting my thoughts for a lighter solution for something in the way of a groundsheet to look after my tent floor.

I've been using cheap trailer tarps up to now but I'm paying closer attention to how much I'm carrying.

I got a good run out of the trailer tarps, which I think I grabbed from the Reject shop, with regards bang for buck, but wondered if I might learn of better solutions from those with more knowledge.
Cheers
Aidan :)

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:15 pm

rifraf wrote:...do you use anything in the way of a footprint under your tent?

I think thats the word I've heard used.
If I've got it wrong, I'm meaning something between your floor and the ground for a bit of protection for the tent
Once upon a time it was called a ground sheet, then the marketeers took over (everything).
Over on the bushwalking forum people are using Tyvec. It's the papery stuff they wrap (some) new houses in. Lightweight, insulative, breathable I think and relatively strong.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:49 pm

Tim wrote:Over on the bushwalking forum people are using Tyvec. It's the papery stuff they wrap (some) new houses in. Lightweight, insulative, breathable I think and relatively strong.
That is what I use. No issues with it so far after probably 60 nights use.

Andrew