This tent is made for camping...

RonK

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I got a Tyvec footprint with my Tarptent order.

For some reason I expected it to be pink. So I initially thought the white paper in the box was packaging, and nearly threw it out.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:01 pm

rifraf wrote: ... do you use anything in the way of a footprint under your tent?
Rif, G'day.

I use a Thermal Insulated Groundsheet, 1.26m X 2.0m. They weight 346g. They foot-print the tent tubs fairly well. A good size for the Olympus style tent but a tad narrow for the Timberloft Lite. They're distributed here by Primus Companion Brands and can be ordered through Camping World. The Primus part number is BL1150. They're about $40.

I like them because they're an insulated ground sheet and a space blanket for emergencies. I've just bought my third one in 30 years, just a couple of weeks ago. The second has been promoted to bike maintenance, after 15 years of sturdy use and the new one, I just took out of the packet. They've got a weave between the red and silver layers, that makes them tougher than Kiwi wiminz.

I washed the bike today, realigned the brake housings, serviced the hubs with lithium grease and put some slippery Drifters on.

Warren.

PS, Aldi stores on Saturday 16 Nov are again selling, for the third year, Bikemate bike maintenance stands for $34.99. Aldi in Kippax ACT, sells-out a couple of palettes of bike stands by midday Saturday. Don't wait to go shopping on Sunday if you're after a quick release system telescopic bike repair stand with a magnetic tool tray, 360°rotatable clamp. Included is a wall mounting system.

http://www.lasoo.com.au/offer/cycling-e ... 2mzu3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Tim wrote:
rifraf wrote:...do you use anything in the way of a footprint under your tent?

I think thats the word I've heard used.
If I've got it wrong, I'm meaning something between your floor and the ground for a bit of protection for the tent
Once upon a time it was called a ground sheet, then the marketeers took over (everything).
Over on the bushwalking forum people are using Tyvec. It's the papery stuff they wrap (some) new houses in. Lightweight, insulative, breathable I think and relatively strong.
Thanks Tim,
yeah I meander into the bushwalk forum from time to time.
I've seen some disinfomation put about there on occasion so like to draw my conclusions from a wide number of resources.

Aushiker wrote:
That is what I use. No issues with it so far after probably 60 nights use.

Andrew
Good to hear its been a good choice for you Andrew.

RonK wrote:I got a Tyvec footprint with my Tarptent order.

For some reason I expected it to be pink. So I initially thought the white paper in the box was packaging, and nearly threw it out.
LOL, I would probably have been more at risk of throwing it out, had it been pink.
I've heard/read different accounts of Tyvec in the field and most of them have been overall positive.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:05 pm

WarrenH wrote:
rifraf wrote: ... do you use anything in the way of a footprint under your tent?
Rif, G'day.

I use a Thermal Insulated Groundsheet, 1.26m X 2.0m. They weight 346g. They foot-print the tent tubs fairly well. A good size for the Olympus style tent but a tad narrow for the Timberloft Lite. They're distributed here by Primus Companion Brands and can be ordered through Camping World. The Primus part number is BL1150. They're about $40.

I like them because they're an insulated ground sheet and a space blanket for emergencies. I've just bought my third one in 30 years, just a couple of weeks ago. The second has been promoted to bike maintenance, after 15 years of sturdy use and the new one, I just took out of the packet. They've got a weave between the red and silver layers, that makes them tougher than Kiwi wiminz.

I washed the bike today, realigned the brake housings, serviced the hubs with lithium grease and put some slippery Drifters on.

Warren.
G'day Warren,
thanks for the speedy response.
Appreciate the depth and detail in your answer - thank you.
Yeah, I'm putting some thought into protecting the floor tub of my new tents and also something to recline on when utilising my bivybag and tarp.
I like the sound of the thermal insulation and its practicalities and alternate uses.

Cheers
AIdan :)

grantw

Postby grantw » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:03 pm

I'm slowly getting my tour on. Picked up an Exped Mira II today on sale at my local outdoors store. It's raining outside off and on so I erected it in the living room and was impressed with the build quality and detail. Now for a sleeping bag and and mat and I'm just about good to go.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Hi GrantW,
look forward to reading your tour experiences and opinions on your gear.
Good luck with the purchase decision buying your bag and mat. :D

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:58 pm

The mat and bag are harder to choose than I thought! so I've been planning a couple of overnighters up in the Southern highlands to test the tent out. Might even do the RNP coastal walk one weekend soon. Having a tent is great :-)

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:20 pm

grantw wrote:The mat and bag are harder to choose than I thought! so I've been planning a couple of overnighters up in the Southern highlands to test the tent out. Might even do the RNP coastal walk one weekend soon. Having a tent is great :-)
There is a wide concensus on the forum that the Exped mats rate highly for comfort, with the Synmat UL 7 frequently getting the nod.

Bags are another story, as individual comfort levels vary quite a lot, as do budgets.

I'm a warm sleeper and favour light weight and low bulk over price. A Marmot Hydrogen keeps me comfortable down to zero without overheating me.

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm quickly becoming an Exped fanboy RonK :) , the mat thread was quite helpful - though when I got to the store and saw the entire range I had to sit back and have a long read of the brochure - it was easier just to buy the tent! The UL7 looks great and I shall likely get one this weekend. As it's warm I should be able to get by with my old Roman bag while I ponder the bigger picture

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 pm

grantw wrote:I'm quickly becoming an Exped fanboy RonK :) , the mat thread was quite helpful - though when I got to the store and saw the entire range I had to sit back and have a long read of the brochure - it was easier just to buy the tent! The UL7 looks great and I shall likely get one this weekend. As it's warm I should be able to get by with my old Roman bag while I ponder the bigger picture
Not sure if its helpful to you Grant,
I've also posted this info in "Camping Gear Specials" thread, there is a 24 hour sale on at wildearth which "may" have some gear of interest. Be aware their specials finish at midnight tonight eastern standard time.
http://www.wildearth.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim said he found a sleeping bag that suited him at a good discount :idea:

Worth a mention is their special on Wilderness Equipment tarps which have a large discount.
I grabbed a medium at RonKs recommendation, which will suit my bivying as well as keeping the suns uv rays off my tents whilst adding an extra water barrier.
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/wildern ... eohsilmeuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Forget what it says on wildearth regarding RRP as Wilderness-equipment say their RRP is $249.00
http://www.wildequipment.com.au/tent_de ... de=WEOHSIL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grantw

Postby grantw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks, I will have a look :-)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:52 pm

WarrenH wrote: Rif, G'day.

Warren.
G'day Warren,
thanks for the tip.
I had no difficulty tracking down one of those groundsheets to trial, thanks to your part number, so thanks heaps for the heads up.
I was lucky enough to find them in Rockingham WA for $25.95.

I've yet to get my head around which side is up with regards to the groundsheet.
I've no intuition with regards the matter except maybe the silver side looks maybe easier to clean so likely the side I'll place against the ground.
This goes against what I thought would be right in its use as a space blanket (reflecting heat inwards) so I'd be interested in what your method is.

Very impressed with the service in the store which is almost a first for WA shopping for me.
One of the few shops I've been to where I actually look forward to the opportunity to spend some money.

A selection of options to repair tents, inflatable sleeping mats and pillows which I must return to grab a few of.
I grabbed a gas canister to try out my MSR pocket rocket as well as my Primus omnifuel.

So far I've tried the pocket rocket which is currently seeing duty making my expresso coffee's and impressing me with its flame control.
The lack of ability to make my coffee is my only knock of my Trangia.
Whilst the coffee bag (like t-bags) are pretty good, I am partial to a few expresso's to wake me up properly in the morning.

Anyway, thanks again for the heads up.
I can look forward to being less likely piercing the floor tub of my tents/matress now I've something so dont have to rely on my short span of attention when setting up camp after a knackering ride.

Oh and maps was something Camping World appeared to have a decent supply of, which is something I'd like to invest in for some local journeying.

Cheers
Aidan :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Lets all remember to be careful in our tents with candles, stoves and other naked flames :|

Being shrink-wrapped cant be nice

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-storie ... urnt-tent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy the touring safely.

Happy spinning

petie

Postby petie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Well I have been united with my Darche hybrid and luxury lite cot I purchased a little while ago (we're traveling and have only just arrived "home"). I am thoroughly impressed with both upon initial inspection. The cot is very small packed, and doesn't weigh too much considering how comfortable it is when I'm lying on it!
I haven't had the tent up yet, but it looks good and is small. Weight was a criticism, I weighed the supplied poles and pegs, over 700g!! Will definitely trim some weight out of that, but can't complain for the price.

Can't wait to get it up, hopefully tomorrow.

redned

Postby redned » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:33 am

rifraf wrote:I've yet to get my head around which side is up with regards to the groundsheet.
I've no intuition with regards the matter except maybe the silver side looks maybe easier to clean so likely the side I'll place against the ground.
This goes against what I thought would be right in its use as a space blanket (reflecting heat inwards) so I'd be interested in what your method is.
Rif: I am pretty sure that it should be silver side up. I used this type of ground sheet for years cross-country skiing and the reflecting warmth aspect was the important part.

cheers

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:45 am

redned wrote:
rifraf wrote:I've yet to get my head around which side is up with regards to the groundsheet.
Rif: I am pretty sure that it should be silver side up. I used this type of ground sheet for years cross-country skiing and the reflecting warmth aspect was the important part.

cheers
Huge help Redned,
Thanks heaps :!:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Had a small fit of motivation today.
Must have been the ZZ Top cd I found on the side of the road, I've been annoying my loud rap fan neighbors with :wink:
Anyway I digress.
I decided I'd been putting off seam sealing my tents for long enough and made a start.
What a PITA :!: :twisted:
I've gotten my single man Macpac Microlight about half done and almost wish I'd never started.
Its too breezy to do it outside, so I've set up a clothes horse in the garage, donned a latex glove and gotten busy.
Having reached approx the halfway mark, I now have to wait for whats finished to cure before I can start the next bit.
Really would have been easier if I'd completely taken out the inner :idea: but I know I'd struggle to work out how it goes back in if I go down that route.
As it is I'm worried about the amount of time gone by already as I know I'm now going to have fun trying to refold the tent up correctly enough to get it back into its carry bag.
Like I said, PITA :!:
If it cures enough in the next couple of hours, I'll try to get the second half done.
I cant see myself getting motivated tomorrow to start the Minaret but it will have to be soon as I can feel an urge to travel coming on. :arrow:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 pm

With the Minaret, take the inner off the fly (yes, it IS worth doing), pitch the fly inside-out with the poles, then seam-seal to your heart's content. Much easier, and better (practically and for your health) to do it out in the backyard.

Happily this should only be a 'once-in-a-lifetime' job. I seam-sealed our Celeste in 1996 and it's still going strong. But it is good that the Exped comes already seam-sealed with quality seam tape.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I dragged out the camera to add a little ambiance to the thread:

Gloves and sealer

shiny seams

That clothes horse is damned useful.

Oh and heres a pic of WarrenH's recommended Primus ground sheet I grabbed, with a phone for scale. Very happy with its lack of weight and bulk. A tidy package that suits. Thanks Wazza :!:

Edit:
Nice to see Macpac not only included the silicon sealant but also a tent pole repair piece and some tent fly fabric to patch up a tear. (This in both tent packages) :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:38 pm

il padrone wrote:With the Minaret, take the inner off the fly (yes, it IS worth doing), pitch the fly inside-out with the poles, then seam-seal to your heart's content. Much easier, and better (practically and for your health) to do it out in the backyard.

Happily this should only be a 'once-in-a-lifetime' job. I seam-sealed our Celeste in 1996 and it's still going strong. But it is good that the Exped comes already seam-sealed with quality seam tape.
Hi Pete,
took your advice and glad I did.
Much easier approach for the Minaret.

What started out looking like a tent in its bag now looks like a bloomin sleeping bag in
fatness. :shock:

One of the reasons I like bivybags is that they're so easy to fold up nice. :!:

The seam sealing, I think, went well but not the refolding and packing away.
I'll have another crack in a day or two. :|

Ah well, tis done now, so all good. :)

The Microlight sealing was much more stressful with a landlady hovering around anxious I was going to drop "grease" everywhere for some reason despite not having any grease nor spilling anything previously. :lol: :lol:

Glad its supposed to be a once off but now I'm familiar with the job, its not too big a deal. :!:

grantw

Postby grantw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:07 pm

I did a walk on the weekend and spent the night in the Mira II at North Era in the RNP. Pretty impressed with it especially as the wind picked up during the night and the tent was stable and quiet. A very comfortable place to be :)

maxknott

Postby maxknott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:52 am

just back from 10 days,sleeping in my new msr hoop, very impressed with this tent,very room,stable and well ventilated.
at one point i even had to use the fly for an emergency shelter in a sudden storm

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:22 am

Is that a dog Max?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:48 am

Max is the doggie :wink:

Lovely Maxxie is 14 yo and has diabetes, which has left him blind - so the wildlife is pretty safe.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:36 pm

il padrone wrote:Max is the doggie :wink:

Lovely Maxxie is 14 yo and has diabetes, which has left him blind - so the wildlife is pretty safe.
hehe - so Max gets to ride in a backpack, lucky dog...:)