This tent is made for camping...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 pm

My Exped Vela 1 tent is a really great piece of kit for camping - ideal one-person tent

- quick to set-up
- light weight
- warm in winter when closed up
- able to easily vent and cool down
- good sit-up height and roomy inside

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xywzHzzlmQ&NR=1[/youtube]
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

HappyHumber

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:36 pm

I hope that bloke isn't touring in gumboots ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 pm

I've got a few gripes with my exped vela 1...
Fly easily ripped
My guy rope on one end has snapped in 2
My feet hit the ceiling now with my exped downmat which will see water leaking in
I find it a lil small for me
End result
Tent will be for sale when I get guy rope sorted out!
I'm going to invest in a Nemo Morpho 1p
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Bit of a shame for you, Baalzamon. Do you have the older version with the nylon fly or the newer polyester fly? Polyester flys are always better - don't stretch when it gets cold and less damaged by UV rays.

My mate had some problems with the Exped mattress and his feet hitting the ceiling. I found no probems with a Thermarest. The foot end does need to be set up carefully to ensure the fly is not drooping and touching the inner. Basically keep the fly tensioned from the foot guy, avoid pulling it down with the side pegs and let the inner drop loosely.

A tent with similar design and qualities, but better height at the head and foot is the Hilleberg Akto, a Norwegian design.

Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:16 pm

I bought my vela 1 after you got yours Pete.

this is the one I'm looking at

Spare bladders are available as spares.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:55 am

il padrone wrote:A tent with similar design and qualities, but better height at the head and foot is the Hilleberg Akto, a Norwegian design.
Better again is the Hilleberg Soulo - even more height at the head and foot, a decent vestibule single-pitch, and freestanding.

BTW - if you want to to buy a Hilleberg you will get better service and cheaper shipping direct from the Hilleberg site.
Last edited by RonK on Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:46 pm

I bought a Macpac Minaret about 10 years ago but I've always been too lazy to get it out.
I just put down a small tarp as a groundsheet, and break out my Macpac Coocoon (bivibag).
I've been through some small showers but wouldnt trust it now (10 years old) for torrential weather.
I'm getting soft now as I insist on a thermarest.
Currently so unfit now that I think with anything over 4 hours in the saddle and I'd sleep through Armageddon. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Any of you guys tried the Hennessy Hammock?
I got a mate back in NZ that swears by his.
Course theres a few more trees over there.......
But he reckons a couple of short poles rigged properly if theres no trees and your away laughing.
Heres the site for them:
www.hennessyhammock.com/
He uses a thermarest to lie on as well as he reckons in winter its cold underneath without one.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi

Interesting what people chose for tents ... my current top of the buy list options are a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or a Big Agnes Cooper Super UL1 but the Cooper Super is pushing my weight limits for a single person tent. The Fly Creek whilst quite light does have some design issues.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Baalzamon wrote:this is the one I'm looking at
That Nemo is very heavy for a one person tent. I would be seriously questioning the value of paying for all that extra weight. Are you really going to get a better tent for that weight and money? There are better options from good quality manufacturers in my view.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:49 pm

RonK wrote:BTW - if you want to to buy a Hilleberg you will get better service and cheaper shipping direct from the Hilleberg site.
That is a crack up that (website that is) ... ultralight at 2.2 kg ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 pm

rifraf wrote:Any of you guys tried the Hennessy Hammock?
I got a mate back in NZ that swears by his.
Course theres a few more trees over there.......
But he reckons a couple of short poles rigged properly if theres no trees and your away laughing.
Heres the site for them:
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/
He uses a thermarest to lie on as well as he reckons in winter its cold underneath without one.
Not a Hennessy user but I know a bushwalker here in Perth who is in to hammocks. You can check him out at http://www.teamgunnparker.com/. I believe he uses a Nano Hammock weighing in at 412 grams. If you do a search you should find Hennessy hammock forums. Plenty of good advice to be found.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:37 am

Aushiker wrote:That is a crack up that (website that is) ... ultralight at 2.2 kg ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew
Well - maybe, but can you nominate a 4 season free standing tent that is lighter?
Last edited by RonK on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:44 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Interesting what people chose for tents ... my current top of the buy list options are a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or a Big Agnes Cooper Super UL1 but the Cooper Super is pushing my weight limits for a single person tent. The Fly Creek whilst quite light does have some design issues.

Andrew
No thanks - a tent with hub type poles won't ever be on my shopping list.

I've also tried a 1 person tunnel type tent and hated it - I found it claustrophobic, and ingress/egress was awkward, not made any easier once the tiny vestibule was full of my gear.

My tent requirements are:
- free standing
- single pitch (preferred)
- straight poles i.e no hubs
- vestibule supported by a pole i.e. not pegged out
- side entry.

For a cycle touring tent I am prepared to compromise on the weight but not the design. On tour I'm likely to spend more nights in the tent, and it's easy to carry a more comfortable tent on the bike. For a bushwalking tent it's the opposite - trips are shorter but I have carry the tent on my back, so light weight takes priority.

The Wilderness Equipment Dart 1 UL comes close (I have a Dart 2 UL and it's a great tent) - but the Hilleberg Soulo got the nod because it's single pitch (and because I am a tent snob :lol: ).

I also have a couple of WE Overhangs which have proven very handy from time to time. I carried one as my emergency shelter for a solo spring crossing of the Overland Track, and it worked fine supported by trekking poles. I've also carried the Dart 2 on the Overland Track, but whilst palatial it's too bloody heavy for solo trips.

And for those willing to compromise I notice that WE have expanded their line of very light tents and shelters with some new models.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:22 am

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:That is a crack up that (website that is) ... ultralight at 2.2 kg ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Andrew
Well - can you nominate a 4 season free standing tent that is lighter?
You missed my point I think... .2.2. kg is not ultralight, not in the common use of the term in the market that it is sold into. As to a free-standing "expedition" tent (the language use by Hilleberg) then no I couldn't but then I doubt to many many mountaineers would be using a free standing tent of this design in expedition conditions either.

If you are happy with the tent, that is great, but that does not make the marketing spin any less spin, even if the tent is now around four years old and the marketing language is probably from when it came it out.

BTW how is the breathability of the tent? Do you use it outside of "deep" winter? I am curious as I did consider a Hilleberg way back when I was mainly walking in WA and looking at walking on Steward Island. Went with Wilderness Equipement tent in the end but.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:34 am

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Hi

Andrew
No thanks - a tent with hub type poles won't ever be on my shopping list.

I've also tried a 1 person tunnel type tent and hated it - I found it claustrophobic, and ingress/egress was awkward, not made any easier once the tiny vestibule was full of my gear.
Fair enough that is your choice, not mine.
On tour I'm likely to spend more nights in the tent, and it's easy to carry a more comfortable tent on the bike. For a bushwalking tent it's the opposite - trips are shorter but I have carry the tent on my back, so light weight takes priority.
I have done a two month a pack carry (walking) and my pack carries are frequently seven days or more so comfort and weight are important to me. It does not matter to me if I am cycling or walking, I still have to "carry: the gear, so to me weight is important; irrespective of the trip length. I want to enjoy it, not spend my days lugging heavy gear, but that is me. I also don't tend to "weather out" so "liveability" is lower on the scale of important features for me. I prefer to spend my day walking or cycling not in camp, but that said I do look for good designs that make use of the space better and hence a good combination of protection/weight/size.

I appreciate that everyone has their different ideas; my comments reflect my approach and my riding/walking and what I see is modern alternatives that can be considered today and I will share my thoughts in that context and do respect others views; I just don't like the overtop marketing spin.
And for those willing to compromise I notice that WE have expanded their line of very light tents and shelters with some new models.
I guess that is where we need to agree to disagree. I don't see it as a "comprise", I see it as moving forward and accepting that there are modern alternative approaches (e.g., the Soulo is a four year old design now I believe and tent designs have moved forward). For me and I suspect most cyclists touring in Australia a lightweight three season tent is fine and yes I have a four season tent and I have a range of three season tents. I have also seen the tents that I am considering being used okay snow (four season winter conditions, which is okay for me but then I am not going to spend days in the high mountains). See BackpackingLight.com for examples.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:26 pm

Aushiker wrote:Interesting what people chose for tents ... my current top of the buy list options are a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or a Big Agnes Cooper Super UL1 but the Cooper Super is pushing my weight limits for a single person tent. The Fly Creek whilst quite light does have some design issues.
We've had this discussion before. Those tents have floor fabric that is lighter than the fly on my Exped Vela. No thanks, I value the durability of a floor that can be pegged out on surfaces more abrasive than beach sand or mown grass. And before you say 'footprint', I use a groundsheet as well as the heavier floor of the Exped. It works for stony ground and rough bush ground (grass clumps, bark & sticks).

[edit] Drape-over fly is a dead-loser in the rain as well - old (cheap) technology. Gets your inner wet as you put the tent up. I have used 'exo-skeleton' tents for the past 15 years - rain doesn't matter and it goes up in a flash.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:07 pm

il padrone what make of footprint/groundsheet do you use for the Exped Vela?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:14 pm

Aussie Disposals 3m x 2m poly-tarp, cut in half to be 3m x 1m :mrgreen:

Nothing flash, it only has to go on the ground to protect it from sharp rocks and stuff, mainly where I am going to be placing my body-weight.
Mandatory helmet law?

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:37 pm

IMO it's much like frame materials - the best option depends on the individual's requirements and preferences so there will never be one 'best' option for everybody.

Personally I love my TarpTent Scarp1 - lightweight without compromising on livability and flexible enough to be used as a single-wall tarp shelter in summer or in snow with the additional poles. Having a second vestibule is great - one for storing gear and one for access and cooking. I've added a Tvek floor but TBH don't think it's strictly necessary with a bit of care to clear the site before pitching - but use it anyway to minimise condensation and keep the floor clean.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm

m@ wrote:I've added a Tvek floor but TBH don't think it's strictly necessary with a bit of care to clear the site before pitching - but use it anyway to minimise condensation and keep the floor clean.
This is a good tip for those troubled by condensation - you can help to minimise it by covering the ground under the tent including the vestibules.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:08 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:BTW - if you want to to buy a Hilleberg you will get better service and cheaper shipping direct from the Hilleberg site.
That is a crack up that (website that is) ... ultralight at 2.2 kg ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hilleberg Akto is 1.6kgs packed weight (1.2kgs min weight). Maybe not ultralight but light enough for me. My Exped Vela 1 is 1.85kgs packed weight.

2.2kgs would be plenty light enough for a 4 season 2-3 person tent. If you mean the Nallo GT it is a very spacious 2 person tent with the big vestibule. 2.2kgs min. weight, 2.7kgs packed weight.

Described as
...the ultralight versions of the Nammatj and Nammatj GT. They excel in any situation where the lightest possible tent is needed, but where true all season strength and reliability might be required.
So they are using the term to refer to a lighter version of another of their tent models. They are 700g lighter min weight, 900 lighter packed weight.

All these tents have high quality floors, UV resistant polyester flys and a fabric inner tent. Mesh inner tents are lighter but in my experience (and the accounts of friends) the mesh inners can be very drafty in the cooler months (not to mention letting the dust blow through in the dry country). I value the warmth of a full fabric inner tent.
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:30 pm

I'm now seriously thinking about getting a Big Sky Evolution 2p tent. Pricey but the reviews I've seen appear good and it's light as well.

exadios

Postby exadios » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I use a "Outer Limits Razorback Tent. I find that it is a very good touring tent.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:30 am

One report on the Hilleberg Akto used in heavy snow. Maybe not so relevant for Australian conditions, but it does give some idea of the design's basic strength in winds and poor weather.

Mandatory helmet law?