This tent is made for camping...

maxknott

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby maxknott » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm

keeps me company on tour, and keeps my back warm too :-)

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:50 pm

Anyone used a Mont Moondance for cycle touring?
It similar to MSR Hubba but with better waterproofing in the floor.
I have a Hubba but the floor gets too wet for me.

moondance one is 1.6kgs, moondance 2 is 2kgs

philmart

Postby philmart » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:02 pm

I have the Goondie 2 -30 - One Planet. Very happy with this. Never had a leak and does not require a tub. Also had it in very windy conditions without a problem.

I like 2 man tents just for my use. I get to store stuff inside if I need too, AND I am on the hefty side! Weighs about 2kg which is heavy compared to some here but seems well made.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:26 pm

I have the OP Goondie 1:30D...great tent, I'm thinking of getting the 2:30D so my girlfriend can come along in the future...

philmart

Postby philmart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Wingnut

The only real problem I had with this goondie is that the fly is bright orange. Other versions like the 1-30 have a different coloured fly I believe.

I have had it in some pretty high winds and it has worked a treat for me. Really happy with this purchase. Well made tent.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm

Yeah the 30D are orange and the 15D are green which I think looks a lot nicer...

Good review here of OP Goondie...

http://bushwalkinglight.blogspot.com.au ... -term.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:16 pm

I've had a bright red Hilleberg Soulo one man tent for a couple of years now.
It has served me very well. Quick and easy to pitch and has been excellent in some very heavy coastal blows, occasional heavy downpour and a sub-zero alpine night. The only minor criticism is that it can get hot inside in warm and humid weather.
I just bought but haven't yet tried an accessory mesh inner. Should provide better ventilation in summer.
At the time of ordering I also inquired as to the availability of a replacement outer. The current red one is still in excellent condition but I was concerned about UV degradation. Turned out they had a couple of spare Green Soulo outers and I ordered one too.
I now have options for summer and winter (green and red, warm or ventilated, lairy or stealthy) and in effect two complete tents that share the same poles.
Champing at the bit for the next tour (as I said in another post). :D

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:47 pm

That's why I steered away from Hilleberg...a four season tent that's real only good for three seasons...

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:59 pm

Wingnut wrote:..a four season tent that's real only good for three seasons...
Unless you fit a complete mesh inner.
When I say it's hot, that is compared to my previous tent which had two doors and flow through ventilation.
A conventional Soulo with a solid inner still has a mesh door which can be kept open and the outer door can be left open too. It's not unbearably hot, just not as cool as a tent with double entry.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Wingnut wrote:I have the OP Goondie 1:30D...great tent, I'm thinking of getting the 2:30D so my girlfriend can come along in the future...
I have been very happy with One Planet gear in the past.
One of the best tent I ever owned was a OP Caddis. Not light, but absolutely bombproof, part of their industrial range. I still use it from time to time. Shaped very much like the Macpac Olympus (which I also owned, way back). The Caddis is over ten years old, been pitched for weeks at a time in full summer sun, hammered in all weather conditions and is still going strong.
Also own a synthetic OP sleeping bag. Still does the job in milder conditions and is nearly as old as the tent. Probably had hundreds of nights use, washed a heap of times and is as good as the day I bought it.
Excellent quality gear.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:26 am

From Gizmag.
... One tent manufacturer has identified an interesting way of eliminating a few of those poles, trading the multi-prong tent pole system for a tent body with integrated elastic cord in a design aimed at saving weight and hassle.

The Tension design uses a main spine and two small cross poles The internal cord system eliminates the need for more pole segmentsThe fly is vented for better breathingThe Tension includes a rain fly and taped seamsView all
Those that really despise tent poles may be disappointed to find out that Brooks-Range hasn't eliminated them completely from its new Tension Tent line. However, it has lessened the reliance on poles with its internal cord system. Instead of the more elaborate X and Y pole systems common on other tents, the Tension tents use a single, central carbon pole and two small cross poles.
Andrew

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:16 am

This looks like one heck of a good tent!! Relatively inexpensive and with lots of floor space. I wonder how robust it is in terms of longevity. Unfortunately I am NOT going to buy another tent to find out anything about longevity! On my next trip (Perth and east) I will bring my Hilleberg Nallo GT simply because of the lack of trees in places to use the Hennessy ..:D

OTOH, my travelling companion will bring my Hennessy Hammock (when we meet up in Adelaide??) that I used along the Savannah Way (2006) and on my trip Adelaide - Sydney via Broken Hill, Pooncairie and Wentworth (2012), just in case I have the time and opportunity to get going from Cairns to Cape York. Common sense tells me there are plenty of trees up N for the hammock :shock: Funny how Australian shelter "opportunities" change.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:11 am

From Big Agnes ...

Big Agnes' photos suggest that the specific lighting layout will vary based on the individual models, with the company saying that the mtnGLO line will encompass a number of different products, including complete tents ranging from ultralight backpacking models to base camp tents as well as an LED add-on kit... Big Agnes revealed the mtnGLO line in Europe at the recent Outdoor Friedrichshafen Show in July and will show it in North America at Outdoor Retailer Summer Market next week. It plans to begin selling the tents early next year, with the Gilpin Falls 4 mtnGLO, which appears to be the flagship of the lineup, to retail for US$599.95 and include a Joey T55 Powercase. This portable, lithium-polymer power pack provides enough juice to charge tablets and can recharge a smartphone three times. The mtnGLO lighting accessory kit will be offered for $39.95
Source: Gizmag

Andrew

alfine8

Postby alfine8 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: Try a Wilderness Equipment Overhang (or UL Overhang if you want to save weight).

You will want at least the medium size.

I took your advice and grabbed one of the UL versions last night when I spotted this:
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/wildern ... eohsilmeuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a voucher for an extra 15% which brought the total down to $152.57 which was way below recommended retail :)
Hi RifRaf,
Just a couple of questions, about your overhang tarp.
What size did you end up buying, and does it do the job for you.

And what are your general feelings about the tarp after using it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:33 am

alfine8 wrote: Hi RifRaf,

G'day Alfine8,
I took RonK's advice and went with the medium and it does the job for me.
To be honest, I've not been bivvying much lately and have been mostly utilising my Macpac Microlight tent due to getting soft in my middle age.
The few times I've utilised the tarp have mainly been to cover the bike in the vain hope of hiding the reflective panniers from car headlights when forced to camp closer to the road than I'd like.
I say in vain as I spotted that my tent has a logo on it that lights up with any light aimed at it and the guy ropes are wildly fluorescent.
From memory, so is something about the tarp though its hiding in the edge of my memory so I can't currently put my finger on it.
I've not toured over Summer, apart from a couple of weekenders due to it being too damned hot for me here in WA.
I'm hoping to hit the pedals in the next few weeks (after Easter school holidays finish and peace returns) heading down the South Coast once again but taking in some alternative routes.
One suggested use for the tarp on the site I linked to was as a ground sheet.
I dispute this as I feel the tarp is way too thin for this duty.
I'm very happy with it and would buy it again if I lost it on tour.
Your question has prompted my memory to buy a few tent pegs to add to the package as they would have come in handy on one or two occasions.
Kathmando have some cheap plastic ones I noticed on their website which may do a turn.
I love the fact I've got something which is pretty quick to put up to hide me from both the sun and rain, both of which can be a pain when stopping for any reason whilst on tour, be it a beverage break or bike adjustment/maintenance.
Its certainly the perfect accompaniment for my bivvybag should I decide on some low bulk off road touring.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

alfine8

Postby alfine8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:55 am

G'day Alfine8,
I took RonK's advice and went with the medium and it does the job for me.
To be honest, I've not been bivvying much lately and have been mostly utilising my Macpac Microlight tent due to getting soft in my middle age.
The few times I've utilised the tarp have mainly been to cover the bike in the vain hope of hiding the reflective panniers from car headlights when forced to camp closer to the road than I'd like.

I love the fact I've got something which is pretty quick to put up to hide me from both the sun and rain, both of which can be a pain when stopping for any reason whilst on tour, be it a beverage break or bike adjustment/maintenance.
Its certainly the perfect accompaniment for my bivvybag should I decide on some low bulk off road touring.
[/quote]

Do you actually bother putting up the tarp when using your Microlight tent, or do you arrive too late at a camp site, to justify it.

I was thinking of using the tarp, as well as a one person ul tent, just to give more protection when hanging out at camp.
The set up would replace a Macpac Mineret, used by itself, and both options weight about the same.

I like to finish riding by mid afternoon, when the heat takes the fun out of it.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:22 pm

alfine8 wrote:

Do you actually bother putting up the tarp when using your Microlight tent, or do you arrive too late at a camp site, to justify it.

I was thinking of using the tarp, as well as a one person ul tent, just to give more protection when hanging out at camp.
The set up would replace a Macpac Mineret, used by itself, and both options weight about the same.

I like to finish riding by mid afternoon, when the heat takes the fun out of it.
I'm too lazy to read the previous 14 pages or so of posts to confirm, but I think my primary reason for buying the tarp was for use with my bivvybag.

I'd been using up till then a BigW trailer tarpaulin which whilst cheap as chips, weighed a lot more and I hated the attention grabbing blue colour.

The tarp purchase was part of an attempt to cut back on the weight of what I'd been hauling to the detriment of my ageing knees which are starting to give me gip.
I've started to pay attention to wiser souls that have gone before me.

My last couple of tours were Microlight only (didn't include bivvy) and the only places I stayed for more than one night were caravan parks where there was nothing much to attach a tarp to en situ.

I was blessed with good weather but not so hot being early May that I wasn't overly concerned with heat as well as UV having a overly detrimental effect on my tent.
Rain too was rare so while I'd packed my tarp it didn't get much use.

I was impressed with WarrenH's camp setup pics which often utilised a tarp and they are spread through out the different touring threads.

I need to invest in some tent like poles me thinks to get more utility from it resembling elasticated tent poles or Clik-stand if that offers a picture.

It appears WA is in for a wet Autumn and I'm thinking seriously about taking my larger Macpac Minaret for my next trip as the Microlight doesn't make for much of a base camp being claustrophobic for waiting out rainy days which I don't ride in being largely a fair weather cyclist.
The tarp will be packed but it remains to be seen what use it will get. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:52 pm

My tarp set up down near Wilsons Prom. Not too well pitched after a wet and moderately windy night. I doubt it would stand up to strong winds pitched that high up in the air.
Worth its weight in gold (about 2kg with the poles), I can walk upright under it, great for sun and rain protection, and an aching back.
I don't generally use it for single night stays, but anything more, definitely.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:58 pm

And another one, on a sunny day;

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:13 pm

alfine8 wrote:
rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote: Try a Wilderness Equipment Overhang (or UL Overhang if you want to save weight).

You will want at least the medium size.

I took your advice and grabbed one of the UL versions last night when I spotted this:
http://www.wildearth.com.au/buy/wildern ... eohsilmeuc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had a voucher for an extra 15% which brought the total down to $152.57 which was way below recommended retail :)
Hi RifRaf,

I used my Overhang as my tent last time I walked the Overland Track, supported by my trekking poles and with a Coghlans body bag as a groundsheet.
It hasn't been used since, and I could be persuaded to part with it.
It's not the ultralight version, I can't remember the size.
Edit: On checking, it is in fact the UL version, size medium (3mx3m) in a lovely marigold colour and includes 6 pegs.
Last edited by RonK on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:08 pm

I sold my never used but well travelled Tarptent Moment DW in the blink of an eye over on bushwalk.com, and will shortly be ordering the new Tarptent Protrail in its place.

alfine8

Postby alfine8 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi Tim,
Looking at your camp set up in the photo's, is basicly what I had in mind, although with the tarp a bit lower.
It just helps not to be stuck in a cramped tent to escape even moderately unpleasent weather.

Hi Ronk,
If you are getting the Tarptent to replace the bivvy, wouldn't you still want to use the tarp.
Would it be hard to cook in the vestitube, as it looks pretty small.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:23 pm

alfine8 wrote:Hi Ronk,
If you are getting the Tarptent to replace the bivvy, wouldn't you still want to use the tarp.
Would it be hard to cook in the vestitube, as it looks pretty small.
Nope, I'm replacing one Tarptent with a smaller one, as part of downsizing my gear to travel in bikepacking mode.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:03 pm

alfine8 wrote:Looking at your camp set up in the photo's, is basicly what I had in mind, although with the tarp a bit lower.
Yeah, the tarp is pitched high because I often end up with a really sore back and knees after a few days living at ground level.
I can stand up straight under mine, it helps a bit.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 pm

I often find the main bar of the local pub is the best place to stretch the knees and back on a wet stint :P
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."