Stoves and Cookwear

rifraf

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 pm

BobtheBuilder wrote:
RonK wrote: Failing to declare dangerous goods carries serious penalties.
The baggage xray will detect it. Bomb sniffers will detect it.
Mmmm... even if bomb sniffers would detect it, which I'm not convinced of, it's fairly unlikely they'd be used. Clearly baggage x-ray doesn't detect it, given how many people routinely carry camping stoves.

Regardless of that, the Qantas dangerous goods info is a bit unclear. It doesn't seem that pressurised liquid type stoves fall under the dangerous goods definition, though the liquid fuel containers that supply them do.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/ ... ing-stoves

Under "Camping stoves and liquid fuel containers" it says airline approval is required, whereas under "Gas camping stoves" it says approval isn't required.

As MSR and similar stoves are gas stoves by the time the fuel reaches them, I think it's reasonable to assume approval isn't needed. I think the issue is residual liquid fuel in equipment - this is what Qantas' flushing procedures imply: -

"I have drained (for at least one hour) all flammable liquids from the camping stove and tank/fuel containers, removed the mantle/wick"

https://www.qantas.com/dangerousgoods/d ... ainers.pdf

So, for those stoves, the only issue is the fuel container, which I always drain, wash and air dry for a good few hours before travel. Technically, it might need approval, and now that I know that it's required, I'd probably get it, just to be safe, but, being sensible, I don't think there's much chance of being caught.

In the case cited above, it would be interesting to know if there was an obvious smell or if it was declared beforehand. It might just be the bad luck of coming across an overzealous employee being on the crazy side of safe.
I can't say for the NT, but when you arrive at either Perth or Sydney airport, before you hand over your luggage, you go to a digital terminal where you have to go through a process of questions.
Your informed of penalties for "wrong" answers and that its the equivalent of a stat declaration.
Amongst the questions is if you will be carrying any camp stoves/equipment.
As your finishing all the questions it once again reminds you of a false declaration and informs you of potential penalties.
Whilst I'd not heard of getting permission pre-flight as mentioned by other posters, I did fall foul of the terminal which directed me to approach a member of staff.

I seem to remember its the terminal that prints your boarding pass.

You approach the boarding process as you see fit.

As for me, I won't bother trying to board with a liquid fuel stove, at least with the tank/pump.
I feel I could justify my Primus Omnilite Ti, minus the tank/pump due it being able to utilise a gas canister.

I'd look at the potential for posting the tank/pump if I really felt the need for it but to be honest, I think I'll more and more be leaning towards the ease and convenience of using propane/butane anyway.

I certainly don't want to get caught lying on a stat-dec as I suspect the repercussion might include a banning from the airline concerned which could prove very inconvenient down the track.

Best of luck with your choices and decisions what ever they may be.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:00 pm

A bit of olive oil or similar cooking oil rinsed through your fuel bottle is great to get the fuel odour out and avoid problems "I can smell fuel in this bottle!"

Scintilla

Postby Scintilla » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:04 pm

When I flew to Alice Springs I bought a brand new Trangia fuel bottle - no problems.

When we went to Europe we did not take any stove (nor cooking kit). We bought a Camping-gaz stove and other pots and plates. Camping-gaz was really handy, but we chose the wrong version and that created its own tribulations. Get the puncture-can stove, for ready fuel supply and at the cheapest price.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:11 am

rifraf wrote:I'd look at the potential for posting the tank/pump if I really felt the need for it
Think you'll find Australia Post don't want your 'dangerous goods' either. There is a 'dangerous goods' declaration that you sign. Probably the same with other couriers.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Warin wrote:
rifraf wrote:I'd look at the potential for posting the tank/pump if I really felt the need for it
Think you'll find Australia Post don't want your 'dangerous goods' either. There is a 'dangerous goods' declaration that you sign. Probably the same with other couriers.
Hi Warin
With regards international post, which I'm assuming your referring to due to the declaration, I believe your mostly correct, especially with regards Auspost.
However last I looked, people were still buying and selling on eBay, thus must be getting to buyers somehow.
Last I took the time to look at the classic stove website, in the "Royal Post" thread, when the UK postal service started a seize and destroy mandate of fuel stoves (then funnily enough "flew" them to N Ireland for destruction), the recommendation was to courier them and I believe there was a few recommended couriers to utilise.
I'm a little shy on time to look it up but I'll try within the next few days.

Edit: I just snuck in to the site and theres a few threads around the topic with the most references to the UK's Royal Mail.
It appears one of the favoured workarounds is for a stove to be stripped and called parts in any stat dec. I don't have time to read all the pages right now but anyone with a membership (free) can find what I believe to be one of the larger threads here: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/r ... ves.24756/

A more current thread would be this one: https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/s ... rts.37736/

To be clear, I'm not advocating anyone lies on a stat dec for any reason what so ever.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 am

For those who have enjoyed making their own alcohol stoves, I recently spotted an interesting version referred to as a "Coil" stove.
You tube offers up many different versions following the same theme utilising both glass jars and similar to those soda can stoves.
Eg.

These are but a few examples

I'm not an afficiendo of this type of stove myself but did enjoy looking at these "latest" editions to the fold. :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:11 pm

rifraf wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 am
For those who have enjoyed making their own alcohol stoves, I recently spotted an interesting version referred to as a "Coil" stove.
You tube offers up many different versions following the same theme utilising both glass jars and similar to those soda can stoves.
Informative at least. Not that I would be keen on carrying a glass jar as my stove.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:11 pm
rifraf wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:58 am
Informative at least. Not that I would be keen on carrying a glass jar as my stove.
A lot of people like to tinker with stoves.
I quite like simplicity and quiet of my Trangia but I wouldn't say never as far as putting one of these together as a fun project.
It does strike me that they appear surprisingly powerful for an alcohol stove.
I do agree with you regarding the glass version. :shock:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm

For sure. I have gone from a Trangia to a canister stove to various alcohol stoves and alcohol stove systems back to a canister stove.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:25 pm
For sure. I have gone from a Trangia to a canister stove to various alcohol stoves and alcohol stove systems back to a canister stove.
I have to admit for short duration trips like weekenders, the pocket rocket is more and more often reached for than was once the case for me.
For longer duration journeys on the bike, I opt for the Trangia still and recently upgraded from a well worn HA set to a Duossal set.
Its great that we all have an abundance of choices.

Mofra

Postby Mofra » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:19 pm

Any love for the Furno 360?
I've used mine on hikes and bike trips, tiny but works well.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:38 pm

For value for money you still can't go past the Kovea Spider and a decent butane cartridge adapter. With the Gasmate cartridges from Bunnings it works out to be about $5.88 per kg of fuel. Has to be used with a preheat tube stove though, especially if it's cold butane doesn't like gasifying much when it's cold, better to feed it liquid to the stove by inverting the canister.
Metho is a bit cheaper per kg at around $5 per kg but has just over half the heat value per kg.
Shellite/coleman fuel would be my fuel of choice for a long bushwalk where the weight of the empty gas cartridges would suck, but costs twice as much as gas. Beats metho though at just over half the weight and volume.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:01 pm

Andrew

m@

Postby m@ » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:01 pm
The launch video on the Jetboil Facebook page is interesting too. Worth noting that the pot material isn't titanium as suggested in this video but is a thinner aluminium than previous Jetboil pots (a manufacturing rather than strength limit). Jetboil had their fingers burned with the ti version of the Flash, lots of reports of the heat exchanger fins burning off or detaching, so I doubt we'll ever see another ti pot from them.

They've obviously been paying attention to UL forums and groups; the design of cutting slots in the heat exchanger support to match the pot supports is a fairly well-known hack to use the JB Flash and other hx pots with other stoves. This burner looks like it's better designed for wind, but is also less shielded than on the original designs, so its wind performance will be interesting.

The lack of a regulator seems like a missed opportunity to improve efficiency even further - that plus no ignitor seem like decisions based on hitting a target weight rather than utility.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe