Stoves and Cookwear

rifraf

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby rifraf » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:32 am

Thanks for the big write up Ricky.

Huge effort

Love all the pics to brighten up the thread.

Not sure if your close to a BigW store but they have, in WA, the best prices for the fly spray canisters at I think $4.65 for 4.

Also they appear to be one of the few offering iso-butane.

Just checked and they are $5.50 for 4 so I'm guessing not on special this week

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/campmas ... 000078060/
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:53 pm

That would explain all your equipment you got in your shed Tony and the ability to do such in depth testing.

Aiden thanks I do have them on hand I have a gas blow torch that mounts on those canisters but I don't intend to carry them I'm sticking with the proper stove canisters until I get stuck. I think most of the time those same canisters hover around the $4.50 - $6.95 range depending on store. New stove is in the mail so a two week wait.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Not strictly stoves or cookware but it is food that is cooked question so a related one :). Anyway for my upcoming Holland Track ride I have decided to take Backcountry Cuisine meals along with me as I suspect that the single serve sizing will be more than sufficient and it just makes things a little easier for this ride.

Anyway my probably rather silly question (and I suspect I know the answer) but is there any reason why I cannot put a small hole in the packets to let the air out so I can get them to pack down smaller or for that matter any reason why I couldn't repackage them them into ziplocks as really I cannot see the need for the package for rehydrating; my pot can do that.

Silly ideas?

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi Andrew,

Aushiker wrote:Not strictly stoves or cookware but it is food that is cooked question so a related one :). Anyway for my upcoming Holland Track I have decided to take Backcountry Cuisine meals along with me as I suspect that the single serve sizing will be more than sufficient and it just makes things a little easier for this ride.

Anyway my probably rather silly question (and I suspect I know the answer) but is there any reason why I cannot put a small hole in the packets to let the air out so I can get them to pack down smaller or for that matter any reason why I couldn't repackage them them into ziplocks as really I cannot see the need for the package for rehydrating; my pot can do that.

Silly ideas?
I have used Backcountry Cuisine meals a few times when tramping NZ and I found even eating double meal packs left me hungry, I usually also bring some top up food.

Tony

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:43 pm

TonyB wrote:I have used Backcountry Cuisine meals a few times when tramping NZ and I found even eating double meal packs left me hungry, I usually also bring some top up food.
Yes I agree and in the past that was my experience for too but that is no longer the case for me.

My meal sizes are considerably smaller than what most people eat (e.g, I am struggling to eat half a packet (i.e., 20 grams) of Carmen's Porridge for breakfast more so if I add a couple of thin slices of banana to it and a teaspoon of yogurt. Really I should just have the 1/2 packet of porridge on its own and suffer less).

I physically cannot eat large meals and I don't need to eat large meals. My only concern with the single size serve is not that it is not enough but in fact it might be too much particularly early in the ride.

Anyway I still need to decide on the re-packaging ideas ... thoughts?
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:45 pm

I've never found heading Backcountry meals in the bag very successful and have considered repacking them for the same reason.
But ultimately I don't like Backcountry at all so would buy Strive, which by all accounts is much nicer and packs small.

Strive Foods
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm

RonK wrote:But ultimately I don't like Backcountry at all so would buy Strive, which by all accounts is much nicer and packs small.

Strive Foods
I will give them a shot next ride ... have the Backcountry now so will go with them. I don't mind them but have experienced the re-hydrating issues too. I think I will go with the pot. I cannot see any obvious downside.

Edit: The URL is https://www.strivefood.com.au/ in case anyone else is off for a sticky.
Edit [2]: The Strive meals are 150 grams so I could probably get two meals out of seach serve ... even better for my bikepacking :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:08 pm

Strive has been widely discussed and recommended on bushwalk.com so I was surprised at your choice of BC.
Anyway, I'm going to get single serves and supplement them with Deb if they prove too small.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:The Strive meals are 150 grams so I could probably get two meals out of seach serve ... even better for my bikepacking :)
Oh yes, I forgot about that. You must be quite economical to feed these days eh?
How will you manage your energy levels? Will you have to snack continuously?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:51 pm

RonK wrote: Oh yes, I forgot about that. You must be quite economical to feed these days eh?
How will you manage your energy levels? Will you have to snack continuously?
:) It is still weird going out for dinner and ordering one meal for two. Thankfully Anne is not a big eater so I can share with her most of the time; it is just the choosing the meal that can be an interesting eh discussion :)

On the ride I will take some nuts and dried fruit, my favourite and only food luxury, some fruit cake if I have room and maybe some bars just in case my meals are not sufficient or I need to snack a bit during the day. Thankfully even a bar would probably do two days so I don't need to carry a lot of extra food.

I already do a fair bit now in terms of energy expenditure with my daily running and cycling and I seem to compensate okay with my current food levels, but of course riding all day for nearly a week is a new level of exercise again. It has been a real eye opener for me learning just little food one needs as to what I used to think I needed so hopefully I can get the right balance here.

That said this will be new ground for me so will need to plan in some contingency food ( the deb idea is a good one for example) because I have no resupply options for four to five days.

I have to see my nutritionist next week so will have a chat about this and see what she recommends in terms of additional foods options, but I suspect it will be nuts and more nuts.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:01 pm

Aushiker wrote:
TonyB wrote:I have used Backcountry Cuisine meals a few times when tramping NZ and I found even eating double meal packs left me hungry, I usually also bring some top up food.
Anyway I still need to decide on the re-packaging ideas ... thoughts?
Prick and remove the air, then place the foil bag inside a ziplock. That way the volume is reduced, the package is still airtight/waterproof, and also protected from light.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Well that was quick got my replacement Kovea Spider today and did a quick test flipping the canister over has no spluttering and full control of flame right down to simmer even on both canisters that I used so there must have been an issue with the one I got not that I could detect any issue. Gotta hand to Kovea one email with fast response and within 3 days placed in the mail so a good result.

Ricky

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:Not strictly stoves or cookware but it is food that is cooked question so a related one :). Anyway for my upcoming Holland Track ride I have decided to take Backcountry Cuisine meals along with me as I suspect that the single serve sizing will be more than sufficient and it just makes things a little easier for this ride.

Silly ideas?
I say go for it :)

I used the BC 5-serve packs of single ingredients (veggies, rice, beef etc) repackaged into ziplocks for my last overland track walk. Kept fine for 7 days, though I was careful to get all excess air out before sealing and everything was double bagged to avoid any chance of spoilage.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:07 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Well that was quick got my replacement Kovea Spider today and did a quick test flipping the canister over has no spluttering and full control of flame right down to simmer even on both canisters that I used so there must have been an issue with the one I got not that I could detect any issue. Gotta hand to Kovea one email with fast response and within 3 days placed in the mail so a good result.

Ricky
That was quick Ricky.
Looks like you chose a brand with good customer service.
A scarce commodity in this day and age. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:34 am

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Well that was quick got my replacement Kovea Spider today and did a quick test flipping the canister over has no spluttering and full control of flame right down to simmer even on both canisters that I used so there must have been an issue with the one I got not that I could detect any issue. Gotta hand to Kovea one email with fast response and within 3 days placed in the mail so a good result.

Ricky
That was quick Ricky.
Looks like you chose a brand with good customer service.
A scarce commodity in this day and age. :)
Yeah I'm not complaining Aidan they stand behind there product for me and that's a plus. Just a shame that every now and then a Friday build walks off the factory floor and it was my turn this time but all good.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Massdrop have another stove up for a drop, this time it is the Snow Peak Litemax Titanium Stove at ~ $66 delivered.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:42 pm

Had a go at re-packaging one of the meals Back Country Cuisine meals today, will do the rest just before I go on my ride. The weight saving (single meal) from going to ziplocks was ~25 grams but the big winner for me the was packaging size. Much less bulk with the ziplocks.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm

This one is not getting much love at Massdrop so maybe tread carefully but they have a Vargo Decagon alcohol stove and windscreen as a drop for a possible $55.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:32 pm

Not sure why you would want to spend $32 on a spoon but if you do there Massdrop have the Light My Fire titanium spork as a drop.

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:35 am

My hiking (now bikepacking) setup has always been a Zebra SS 14cm pot with a Trangia burner and home made pot stand which I constructed from a 12cm SS mug I paid $6 for.

The kit comes in at around 400g, and there's a windshield made from 0.5mm alumnium flashing that weighs a whopping 30g. It will keep things cooking if there's a bit more than a breeze.

I just use an ordinary Splayd for eating. 31g and strong enough to dig a shelter if need be.

Cost was - $29 Trangia burner, $20 for the pot, $6 for the stand (plus an hour to make it), $5 for the Splayd and the flashing was left over from a roofing repair. So $60 all up for a bomb proof cook set that should last the rest of my life.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:21 am

Nice setup JR I like the home made pot stand that is a ripper great idea.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:21 am

For the dual fuel fans Massdrop have Kovea's Hydra Duel-Fuel stove as a drop. Looking at $215 delivered or thereabouts.

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:44 am

Jash Rider wrote:My hiking (now bikepacking) setup has always been a Zebra SS 14cm pot with a Trangia burner and home made pot stand which I constructed from a 12cm SS mug I paid $6 for.
Hummm .. How did you make those neat holes in the pot stand?
I have one of those Zebra pots (called a mess kit on ebay - priced now at ~$30) and it is my favourite pot for single camp cooking. I probably have something stainless that could be adapted to use as a stand/burner like your mug. But making neat holes in it? Dremel grinding stone?

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 am

Warin wrote:
Jash Rider wrote:My hiking (now bikepacking) setup has always been a Zebra SS 14cm pot with a Trangia burner and home made pot stand which I constructed from a 12cm SS mug I paid $6 for.
Hummm .. How did you make those neat holes in the pot stand?
I have one of those Zebra pots (called a mess kit on ebay - priced now at ~$30) and it is my favourite pot for single camp cooking. I probably have something stainless that could be adapted to use as a stand/burner like your mug. But making neat holes in it? Dremel grinding stone?

Just used an old 8m drill bit. Had to sharpen it a few times as SS is hard on standard drill bits, but I wasn't going to drop $25 for a hardened drill bit I would use just once.

The biggest time consumer was marking out the cut outs and holes so everything would be nice and even. I wrapped a piece of paper (trimmed down to about 1 inch wide) around the mug and cut it to the exact circumference of the mug, then just divided that distance by the number of cut outs/holes I needed and the transferred those measurements onto the mug with a Sharpie pen.

I made one for each of my kids as well for their hiking gear, except I used just a single row of 10mm holes for airflow instead. Either configuration works as good as the other. I originally had used a 6mm drill bit for mine, but airflow was restricted and the burner did not operate at full efficiency.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:18 am

Kovea LPG Fuel adaptor at Massdrop. Looking at $US17.99 + postage of US$7.00.