Stoves and Cookwear

rifraf

Re: Stoves and Cookwear

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:52 pm

RonK wrote:
And no trailer necessary. :)
LOL

A quick note for anyone in WA looking for lightweight cookware, I spotted on gumtree a Ti combo by Snowpeak

Before you ask, its neither mine nor anyone I know, but the seller sounded very laid back, and amiable on the dog and bone.

Its too small to fit a butane canister in or I'd have grabbed it myself to match my pocket rocket weekender kit.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-per ... 1096010015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 02, 2016 2:51 pm

Kovea Supalite Stove at Massdrop.

Weighing 2.1 ounces 60 grams, the Kovea Supalite Titanium Stove is compact, light, and powerful. This top-mount canister stove features a 4 minute boiling time for 1 liter of water. The burner head is specially designed for evenly dispersed heat, and the adjusting valve is easy to use and accurate. Overall, it makes for a reliable, compact stove.

Approximately US$45.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue May 03, 2016 8:30 pm

Well I'm going to start looking to lighten things up more than I've done.

Andrew, I'm likely to head in the direction of a version of the Caldera Cone given that I've read positive reports not only on its weight and low bulk, but also its economy.

Do you remember where you bought yours from?

I was thinking of maybe a version able to utilise a 750ml Ti pot that I spotted with a bail handle as well as the foldaway handles.

I read theres potential for the pot to sit in my BBB XL Fueltank with one of my widemouth Nalgene water bottles inside it.

Maybe the possibility to shrink the load in one of my front panniers that would normally carry my Trangia.

I'm not convinced I'll get things anywhere near down to Anything Cage type of reduced bulk but I do think a rethink of some of my gear might be due.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue May 03, 2016 9:54 pm

rifraf wrote:Well I'm going to start looking to lighten things up more than I've done.

Andrew, I'm likely to head in the direction of a version of the Caldera Cone given that I've read positive reports not only on its weight and low bulk, but also its economy.

They come from Trail Designs in the USA. You need to match the cone to your pot of choice.
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote:Well I'm going to start looking to lighten things up more than I've done.

They come from Trail Designs in the USA. You need to match the cone to your pot of choice.
I see you've offered up that info before. :oops:

The joys of trying to read forums late at night and retain any relevant info......

Thanks for the repeated heads up :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 04, 2016 5:04 pm

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

I see you've offered up that info before. :oops:

The joys of trying to read forums late at night and retain any relevant info......

Thanks for the repeated heads up :)
No worries.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 05, 2016 11:54 am

Just a heads-up that Alpkit have their MytiMug 650 back in stock. You can also get a Trail Design's Caldera Cone stove to match if you so wish.

Andrew

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:30 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

Kovea Supalite Stove at Massdrop.

Weighing 2.1 ounces 60 grams, the Kovea Supalite Titanium Stove is compact, light, and powerful. This top-mount canister stove features a 4 minute boiling time for 1 liter of water. The burner head is specially designed for evenly dispersed heat, and the adjusting valve is easy to use and accurate. Overall, it makes for a reliable, compact stove.

Approximately US$45.
The Kovea has done very well for us over the last few years. It really does have very accurate heat control, which makes a difference if you're a keen cook like my wife.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue May 10, 2016 10:12 am

I currently have a MSR Whisperlite (light use over several years) and GSI Soloist cookset. The Kovea Supalite Titanium Stove and MytiMug witha gas botle looks like a good kit — are the gas bottles reusable?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 16, 2016 10:33 am

115g for a stove kit appeal? Check out the Gram Weanie Pro. Only costs US$33.00.

Would be interested to know its efficiency.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 30, 2016 7:07 pm

Another lightweight stove option via Massdrop, the Firebox Gen 2 Nano Ultralight folding stove. The Australian delivered price is ~ $52.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:49 pm

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:09 pm

Chris249 wrote:The Kovea has done very well for us over the last few years. It really does have very accurate heat control, which makes a difference if you're a keen cook like my wife.
They are back again at Massdrop. A little more expensive by the looks at ~$57 delivered.
Andrew

Bjbiker

Gasmate Butane Appliance Adapter

Postby Bjbiker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Have just returned from a months touring in Hokkaido ,Japan ,on previous trips I have taken the Trangia ,but obtaining metho can be a bit tricky ,so this time I bought a Gasmate butane appliance adapter ,from BCF for $20 ,that allows the use of our snowpeak burner with the fly spray type cans of butane ,and it worked a treat ,one can lasted a week using it twice a day ,and the cans were available at every Seicomart store ,which are everywhere . Unlike some of the cheaper Chinese adapters this one has a double O ring seal where the can fits on . With cans in Australia being about a dollar each as opposed to 9 bucks for the proper cans it will pay for itself very quickly.

rifraf

Re: Gasmate Butane Appliance Adapter

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:47 pm

Bjbiker wrote:Have just returned from a months touring in Hokkaido ,Japan ,on previous trips I have taken the Trangia ,but obtaining metho can be a bit tricky ,so this time I bought a Gasmate butane appliance adapter ,from BCF for $20 ,that allows the use of our snowpeak burner with the fly spray type cans of butane ,and it worked a treat ,one can lasted a week using it twice a day ,and the cans were available at every Seicomart store ,which are everywhere . Unlike some of the cheaper Chinese adapters this one has a double O ring seal where the can fits on . With cans in Australia being about a dollar each as opposed to 9 bucks for the proper cans it will pay for itself very quickly.
G'day Bjbiker,
do you mean this one?:

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/prod ... mendations

How many cans have you put through it so far?

I bought one that looked the same off eBay (mentioned in a previous post) but it barely lasted the packet of 4 cans before developing a leak.

Glad that your experience has been better.

Keep us updated on any developments :)

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:49 pm

Love my MSR whisperlite International was considering a MSR Universal but being the same as the International except now being able to use canisters the cost to upgrade was hurting pulling the trigger. You can't fault MSR products but you do need to carry service kits and that does annoy me and you do need to clean the fluid line regularly to get best burn. So with that I changed tac and decided on a Kovea Spider going all canister now to see if I like it but the price I like already Kovea seem to be making quality gear at good prices now to wait for the postman.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:07 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Love my MSR whisperlite International was considering a MSR Universal but being the same as the International except now being able to use canisters the cost to upgrade was hurting pulling the trigger. You can't fault MSR products but you do need to carry service kits and that does annoy me and you do need to clean the fluid line regularly to get best burn. So with that I changed tac and decided on a Kovea Spider going all canister now to see if I like it but the price I like already Kovea seem to be making quality gear at good prices now to wait for the postman.

Ricky
Interesting that they are cheaper on eBay than Massdrop........

RonK's been enthused with his Spider too.

At least with the MSR, you can get a service kit, unlike many of the gas stoves.

I'm currently toying with the idea of getting one of the add-on silent burner heads for my Primus Omnilite due to being less than enamoured with the racket they make compared to the silent burner Optimus I once owned.

I need to see how they fit before making a purchase decision as they need an external pricker to clean the jet unlike my previous Optimus stoves.
I'm as yet unsure if you then first have to remove the burner head to get at the nipple which would be a PITA.

I'm also less than enthused with the amount of priming the Omnilite needs with liquid fuels as I could easily make a cuppa on my Trangia for the same amount of metho.

Another personal bugbear with many of the available stoves is, I don't trust the flexible "hose" from the burner to the cartridge/canister.

I've read of a few of them self destructing out in the field.

Bjbiker

Postby Bjbiker » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:38 pm

Yeah rifraf that's the one ,have only put four cans through ,I don't really see any long term issues as it seems to have a solid double seal on the can connection ,( have a look at them at BCF ) but I guess time will tell ,the whole set up is a bit lighter than the whole trangia setup ,using just the two pots and lid and a wind shield made from a foil baking tray ,and a faster boil time with more control.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:58 pm

Aidan that's where I sourced mine of fleabay I personally like the option of multi fuel burn and changing out jets isn't a big issue but an annoyance. The other thing with the MSR Universal is you still need to change jets to use a canister so in reality I wouldn't have gained much hence flipping camp saving coin. When I purchased the Spider I also got the Kovea adaptor to use butane gas stove canisters because from my experience they seem to be on shelves in the most pokie outback stores. LP gas canisters will be the main use but if supply becomes an issue I can always grab butane. I still carry my packafeather stove as backup for making roadside brews.

Your right about priming connecting up the MSR is a drag as well but that never bothered me I always have things going on around me in preparation so it sort of flows. It doesn't take long with MSR but not owning or ever used Omnilite I'm reading into what your saying is it must be some length of time compared to what I'm used too. The flexible hose has never bothered me even with sudden wind increase or change of direction. I have always been more cautious of the fluid in the priming bowl and making sure the pump is secure on the bottle with no leakage to avoid a scare. Having said that your more than likely read more of this sort of thing than I see you seem to dig deeper into your resesrch more so than I do.

That's one thing I did like with MSR was the floating pricker in the jet housing just shake the stove before use and it's clear. Shame Omnilite hasn't got a similar system doing maintenance in the dark pulling small things apart wouldn't be healthy with old fumble thumbs here. I would like to hear your thoughts if you go ahead with the silent burner head to how well it works I know with all my stoves they have all had a rather noisy purr to them I'm assuming the Kovea be no different.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:03 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I changed tac and decided on a Kovea Spider going all canister now to see if I like it but the price I like already Kovea seem to be making quality gear at good prices now to wait for the postman.
An excellent choice - the Spider is a little gem.

I have both an MSR Whisperlite and a little used MSR Dragonfly in my retired stoves collection, and I can tell you - you won't miss the finicky setup, pumping and priming, the flare-ups, the heavy, smelly fuel, the noise, the lack of simmer control.

I should sell my MSR's but inflicting them on somebody else would trouble my conscience. :wink:

You won't need a bucket for a teacup - if you want a second cup instead of going through that rigmarole all over again, just click the igniter and you have hot water in a couple of minutes. :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:00 am

RonK wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I changed tac and decided on a Kovea Spider going all canister now to see if I like it but the price I like already Kovea seem to be making quality gear at good prices now to wait for the postman.
An excellent choice - the Spider is a little gem.

I have both an MSR Whisperlite and a little used MSR Dragonfly in my retired stoves collection, and I can tell you - you won't miss the finicky setup, pumping and priming, the flare-ups, the heavy, smelly fuel, the noise, the lack of simmer control.

I should sell my MSR's but inflicting them on somebody else would trouble my conscience. :wink:

You won't need a bucket for a teacup - if you want a second cup instead of going through that rigmarole all over again, just click the igniter and you have hot water in a couple of minutes. :lol:
I didn't know you had a Spider Ron until Aidan made mention of it but knowing that makes me happy in my choice. I never had an issue with simmer control I used a sink waste ring sitting that on top followed by my cocking cup and that allowed me to get simmer. I am looking forward to retire the fuel and using canisters I have already purchased some so I can fire that baby up as soon as the postman shows up hopefully this week sometime.

Your right I won't miss all that rigmarole to make a second cuppa that's one of the reasons I always brewed up on the side of the road with my backup stove being less hassle. I take it Ron the Spider is less noisy? I know the MSR had a little weight to it just looking at the Spider there must be a good drop in that department.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:41 am

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I take it Ron the Spider is less noisy? I know the MSR had a little weight to it just looking at the Spider there must be a good drop in that department.
Yeah, on a medium flame (which is all you ever need) it makes no more than a gentle hiss. And packed in its little velour carry bag it it is light and compact enough to be comfortably carried in a shirt pocket if you wished.
I now use a single skin ti mug so I can put it directly on the Spider to hear water for that second cup.
I see that Kovea also makes an adapter for threadless canisters, so with both you would be pretty sure of obtaining fuel supplies.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:35 am

RonK wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I take it Ron the Spider is less noisy? I know the MSR had a little weight to it just looking at the Spider there must be a good drop in that department.
Yeah, on a medium flame (which is all you ever need) it makes no more than a gentle hiss. And packed in its little velour carry bag it it is light and compact enough to be comfortably carried in a shirt pocket if you wished.
I now use a single skin ti mug so I can put it directly on the Spider to hear water for that second cup.
I see that Kovea also makes an adapter for threadless canisters, so with both you would be pretty sure of obtaining fuel supplies.
Ron I picked up one of those Kovea dooflicky's at the same time I ordered the spider so no issues with fuel. Never been bothered by the hiss of stoves but if it's quieter then all good and I know the spider will pack down in my mug where as the Whisperlite wouldn't fit and I have a good size canteen.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:14 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Aidan that's where I sourced mine of fleabay I personally like the option of multi fuel burn and changing out jets isn't a big issue but an annoyance. The other thing with the MSR Universal is you still need to change jets to use a canister so in reality I wouldn't have gained much hence flipping camp saving coin. When I purchased the Spider I also got the Kovea adaptor to use butane gas stove canisters because from my experience they seem to be on shelves in the most pokie outback stores. LP gas canisters will be the main use but if supply becomes an issue I can always grab butane. I still carry my packafeather stove as backup for making roadside brews.

Your right about priming connecting up the MSR is a drag as well but that never bothered me I always have things going on around me in preparation so it sort of flows. It doesn't take long with MSR but not owning or ever used Omnilite I'm reading into what your saying is it must be some length of time compared to what I'm used too. The flexible hose has never bothered me even with sudden wind increase or change of direction. I have always been more cautious of the fluid in the priming bowl and making sure the pump is secure on the bottle with no leakage to avoid a scare. Having said that your more than likely read more of this sort of thing than I see you seem to dig deeper into your resesrch more so than I do.

That's one thing I did like with MSR was the floating pricker in the jet housing just shake the stove before use and it's clear. Shame Omnilite hasn't got a similar system doing maintenance in the dark pulling small things apart wouldn't be healthy with old fumble thumbs here. I would like to hear your thoughts if you go ahead with the silent burner head to how well it works I know with all my stoves they have all had a rather noisy purr to them I'm assuming the Kovea be no different.

Ricky
G'day Ricky,
One good thing about the Omnilite is that it has the option to run on propane/butane as well as the more petroleum based liquid fuels so its likely I'll always find something it can burn to heat my meals and beverages.

I'll do a search a little later to see what the pack a feather is, as I'm not familiar with that one.

I've read of a theory I'm inclined to believe, that the Omnilites titanium is so thin that it doesn't hold the heat well and increases the heat up time in priming until its hot enough to adequately vaporise the varies fuels enough for flare free ignition.

Its not bad once its up and running. Its no Optimus 111T in output, but then its a mere fraction of the 111's weight.

That floating pricker is a great idea and even the Optimus stoves turn the handle anti clockwise to push a needle worked well.
I've not had (yet) any need to worry about jet blockage, but its inevitable eventually and Murphy's law suggests its going to happen at a time like your apt description of least convenience and in the dark :lol: :lol:

Trawling through eBay suggests I'm not the only one less than enamoured with the roarer burner and there has been some attempts to cater for those of us who prefer to attempt to tune into their surrounds in peace as opposed to the feeling of closing ones eyes and receiving a vision of being as one with an international airport :lol: :lol:

I spotted:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silent-Cap-D ... SwYIhWlwDZ

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/QUIETSTOVE-S ... xybetSDCzq

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Primus-Silen ... SwZ8ZW7Dar

from my first peruse.

Looking at http://classiccampstoves.com site, there is some interesting, to me at least, threads amongst which someone has added a Kovea burner head to their Omnilite stove and also a thread showing how to add the Omnilite burner to a Trangia which I found interesting reading.

I'll report back when I've learnt more

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Ricky, you might find the MSR references in this thread of interest:

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/ne ... rea.33232/

It appears should you wish to explore damping down the decibels of the MSR units, it now appears to be possible to some degree