Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Yagan

Re: Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Postby Yagan » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Any news on this Andrew? Have you recovered? Waiting with anticipation.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:05 am

Yagan wrote:Any news on this Andrew? Have you recovered? Waiting with anticipation.
Andrew has flown back to Perth now to recover and may go back to Broome next week
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Yagan

Postby Yagan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:13 am

That is bad news. Sorry to hear. Well wishes for a fast recovery.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm

Not good news Andrew hope that your able to get back and finish what you started.

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 pm

As noted, back in Perth and the recovery is happening, just slowly. Hope to fly out to Broome within a week or so to at least complete the last section of the ride which is still a good months worth as I am planning on continuing my inland route via Karijini and Mt Augustus. Lost to much time to start over again and on the Darwin to Broome part the only significant section left for me is the Gibb River Road, so I think I will get better value from the Broome to Perth leg.

I may have time to add on a ride of the Munda Biddi from Manjimup back to Perth which would be a nice bonus anyway.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Andrew
Andrew

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Sorry to hear Andrew. I hope you come good quickly and can complete the Broome to Perth Section.

A real bummer after all the planning.

All the best,

John

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:27 am

Any update Andrew?
I've now picked up the virus going around, nasty lil thing so I hope you are over it. Picked it up sat when I was cycling of all things :(

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:38 am

Baalzamon wrote:Any update Andrew?
I've now picked up the virus going around, nasty lil thing so I hope you are over it. Picked it up sat when I was cycling of all things :(
Yeah it is nasty. Got mine riding through Litchfield National Park. Not exactly a place I expected same.

Rethinking the whole ride and now looking at doing a 3,000 + km loop out of Perth to visit Mt Augustus. Time is the thing now and I still have a cough which I cannot shake off. Wearing me down.

Andrew
Andrew

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:36 am

May see you on my section from Broome to Perth then maybe :)

Any idea how you got the infection? Water, food, air?

I am currently in Katherine and heading to Kakadu for a week or so, then doing Litchfield on the way down and hopefully it all works out. Local people told me that pretty much if a few people get sick here then everyone gets it sooner or later!

Take care.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:45 pm

polishbiker wrote:May see you on my section from Broome to Perth then maybe :)
Not unless you avoid the highways :)
Any idea how you got the infection? Water, food, air?
Flying probably or work.
I am currently in Katherine and heading to Kakadu for a week or so, then doing Litchfield on the way down

Litchfield is great. Walkers Creek (Rocky Falls Campsite) is a must overnight. Mind you I suggest not trying to walk our bike up and down the steps :)

The Spa

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:27 am

Well Andrew is off again, this time from Perth doing a loop I believe. All the best and tis a shame the top end missed you

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well Andrew is off again, this time from Perth doing a loop I believe. All the best and tis a shame the top end missed you
Yes crawling my way north. Wind and rain shortened today's ride. Will be a short one tomorrow as the leap on it is a touch to much for me.

Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself :)

Andrew
Andrew

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Ah yes, stayed at Walker Creek camp 2, great spot indeed :)

Max

Postby Max » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Glad to hear you're back on the bike, Andrew! :D

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Yep Andrew is on the North West Coastal HWY, not much fun I would expect. Think he will be hitting Carnavon tomorrow and possibly have internet reception back then.

rama

Postby rama » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Pawel, is it possible to push your bike+trailer to any of the camp spots at the track leading to Walker Creek?
Was spot #2 the farthest you could go with the bike?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:57 pm

rama wrote:Pawel, is it possible to push your bike+trailer to any of the camp spots at the track leading to Walker Creek?
Pawel doesn't have a trailer. He has a Thorn Raven Nomad touring bike

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 pm

rama wrote:Pawel, is it possible to push your bike+trailer to any of the camp spots at the track leading to Walker Creek?
There are stairs to the first camp, then a steep bit past camp two. After maybe camp four or five there's another climb up some stairs, higher than the first lot. In between there are some short dips across creeks and a narrow boardwalk over a swampy area. In some places it's probably best to carry your bags and then your bike in separate loads. You'd almost certainly want to do this with a trailer I reckon, but these obstacles aren't that big, and once you're in it's worth it.

Here's a link to the time I rode out there:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/bike ... alkercreek

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Gday :)

Reckon spot 2 is best by far, you have a small sandy area at the creek and next to it a small waterfall/creek, all 10 seconds away from the campspot, will upload some photos later perhaps, easier to get to than spot 1 as you need to cross the creek and then go up the small hill.

you can push your bike 90% of the way, you got some big rocky steps to get down, i took all the panniers off and then carried the bike, no other way do to it really, unless you are a travelling on a light road bike or something, recommended place to stay.

as said - well worth the extra few minutes to carry stuff seperately, best spot ever, little paradise :)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:43 pm

Yeah, i was pretty happy there, had my own personal water fall going through the creek, not a single person around.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:42 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Yep Andrew is on the North West Coastal HWY, not much fun I would expect. Think he will be hitting Carnavon tomorrow and possibly have internet reception back then.
Yep made Carnarvon yesterday. Having a day off and then off to Mt Augustus. Pretty much zero Internet access here (using the caravan park Internet at the mo) with Telstra and Vodofone not having 3G connections. Apparently it is full service at Gascoyne Junction aaccording to the local paper. Go figure.

Northwest Coastal Highway wasn't too bad heading north. Most northbound road trains went through at night and the majority of the traffic including road trains was heading south, plus I had the winds mostly :)

Heads up on water: NO FREE water from Carnarvon until the "200 mile tank" about 382 kilometres south of Carnarvon. I didn't try this but at the Overlander unpowered camping is $11.00 a night. Might be cheaper to pay for over night camping and full up with water at the camp kitchen assuming this is possible. Best to sneak a look first but.

Woormael and Overlander sell 4 litre and/or 10 litre containers of water. Billabong Roadhouse had 1.5 litre bottles for $5.00 a hit. I didn't check the Billabong Hotel so that may be a possiblity.

Nerran Nerran Rest Area is a dive - rubbish and human waste and flies. The other two rest areas are much better.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I pushed mine to the first campsite ... so down the stairs. I didn't bother taking it a across the creek but. Jumping rocks with the bike didn't appeal :) Still think my spa beats Polishbiker's waterfall but :)

Andrew
Andrew

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:05 pm

I'd say you pretty much can't go wrong at Walker Creek. All the sites have their own special bits. I'd hate for someone to get there and not get a site they'd heard is good when they're probably already in their own bit of paradise.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:37 pm

Managed to get Telstra and Vodafone Internet access this afternoon so have updated my journal at CGOAB - http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/dreaming_tour

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:18 pm

Ok
Andrew has now made it to Mt Augustus National Park. Looks good for him :)