Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Aushiker

Re: Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 am

Meditator wrote:How many kms and days between these water stops? How much water will you carry? And what time of year are you going to be here?
It is 425 km from Tom Price to Mt Augustus with water available at Ashburton Downs which is about 100 kms south of Tom Price. That leaves ~ 325 km to Mt Augustus and the next known water source. Assuming 75 km a day, that is 4 to 5 days worth of water to be carried. Pingandy Creek is crossed for the first time at around the 272 km but the waterhole, if it is not dry is likely a further 30 km down the road.

Andrew

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm

What are your plans to tackle this. I'm very interested.

Considering calling the homesteaders and discussing options with them. Ask about passing traffic on teh road as you may be able to get water from them or organise to have some dropped off along the way. And find out in advance about that Pigandy creek.

What's the attraction of this track anyway?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:33 pm

Meditator wrote:What are your plans to tackle this. I'm very interested.
See the opening post ...
Considering calling the homesteaders and discussing options with them. Ask about passing traffic on teh road as you may be able to get water from them or organise to have some dropped off along the way. And find out in advance about that Pigandy creek.
There is only one homestead on this section ... Ashburton Downs. Dooley Downs appears to have been abandoned. Will probably overnight at Ashburton Downs anyway and will make a decision on the water then.
What's the attraction of this track anyway?
Shortest route to Mt Augustus from Tom Price/Karajini.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:49 am

Final two sections planned out ...

Morawa to Northam and Northam to Fremantle.

IN summary looking at 66 days plus rest days and 4,830 kilometres, an average of 74 km per day. Might need to find another 170 km along the way to tick over the 5,000 km mark :)

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:17 am

On your Northam to Freo section, I see you are intending on tacking the kep track. Last Sept when I was doing it, it was heavily eroded in Northam and I had to take the Hwy.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:21 am

Baalzamon wrote:On your Northam to Freo section, I see you are intending on tacking the kep track. Last Sept when I was doing it, it was heavily eroded in Northam and I had to take the Hwy.
Okay thanks for the heads-up. Not keen on the Highway so may rethink that section.

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37 am

Kicking out from Northam to Spencers Brooks and along to clackline would get you to the Kep track avoiding that eroded section as well and bring you back to the start of the Kep track where it does hit the road as well. You can see the route I took and where I bailed.

Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:15 am

Baalzamon wrote:Kicking out from Northam to Spencers Brooks and along to clackline would get you to the Kep track avoiding that eroded section as well and bring you back to the start of the Kep track where it does hit the road as well. You can see the route I took and where I bailed.
Thanks. Will look into this more. BTW the garmin link is not working :(

Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Suppose you could do a few days on the munda biddy (however you spell it) to tick it over 5000km

Epic trip.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Kicking out from Northam to Spencers Brooks and along to clackline would get you to the Kep track avoiding that eroded section as well and bring you back to the start of the Kep track where it does hit the road as well. You can see the route I took and where I bailed.
Thanks. Will look into this more. BTW the garmin link is not working :(
Got it now thanks.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:07 pm

J Quinton wrote:Suppose you could do a few days on the munda biddy (however you spell it) to tick it over 5000km

Epic trip.
I suspect I will pick it up along the way with little side trips etc not estimated as yet.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:14 pm

It looks like I am facing a change in circumstances in Darwin so now may need to find accommodation for a couple of nights before heading off. ANyone have suggestions for a suitable place to stay with a bike and trailer. Good access to a supermarket and post office would be handy as well as being quiet. Caravan Park or backpackers would be do the trick I guess.

Thanks
Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi Andrew,

Have you tried warmshowers.org ?

They have an app too which is quite handy.

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:46 pm

Aushiker wrote:Caravan Park or backpackers would do the trick.
Many of the caravan parks are out of town quite a bit. I liked the idea of a bed so I voted for a backpackers.

There are a lot of backpackers right in the heart of town, Mitchell Street. Good location but they are mostly upstairs, often above a bar. Mitchell Street is, um, a bit rowdy, kinda like staying in Northbridge, it's party central.

I stayed at Frogs Hollow which is less than a k from the centre, close to Woolies, and separate from the rest of the mob of drunken Irishmen. There's a pool fence out the back to lasso your bike and trailer to. Only one flight to go up. Seemed to be more women there and a fair sprinkling of long stay types who tend to look after things a bit better. Bedrooms airconditioned, of course.

Everyone should have a little experience of a backpackers, it's another world.

I had a few words to say about my accommodation elsewhere, Perth, but they can be much of a muchness. Refer: http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com/7b- ... -in-perth/

The (backpacker) accommodation here in Paradise is amusing enough, the manager, another ex-Kiwi, ex-chef and also somehow ex-carpenter, is a full on, fall down drunk most nights, entertaining the guests for the last 5 years with his fiercely insane rant against the world punctuated by the occasional “F**k You Australia!” at full volume, smashing random items while staggering around, a table or pot plant doesn’t have a long half life in this joint, before collapsing in a horizontal position out of sight, mumbling to himself down there in the shrubbery in the darkness. We’re polite enough to let him take his little rest, after all there’s a momentary decibel drop before his sonorous nose notes crank up and the focus switches to the usual multicentred cacophony from the rest of the troops ...

it goes on a bit more ...
Or down in Albany ...

Last night I was cosy in my backpacker’s bed, man they are comfortable, that’s beds in general but this one was ok.

About 1am four strangers staggered in from the pub into the eight bunk room, 2 gals and 2 blokes, 3 Poms and a particularly loaded German.

A cell phone started ringing, building intensity with some unidentified tune relevant to the owner’s circumstances no doubt, but she certainly wasn’t going to get up. Couldn’t.

Ring again after maximum volume had been attained for a while. Repeat. Then again insistently. Finally the Pom guy lurched up and somehow killed it.

Plenty of incoherent giggling masquerading as conversation abruptly halted by the German’s single short profane sentence that immediately transformed into melodious snoring. Eventually, as a crescendo was reached the other German bloke, who has to start work at 8am, dragged himself groggily from his bunk and whispered something in German in his ear. Whatever threat had been issued certainly penetrated his unconciousness and then there was finally silence of the kind that seven strangers in a room together share.

Meanwhile out on the street others were smashing stubbies on the road and listening to the glass roll down the steep Albany incline.

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 pm

I also stayed at Frogs Hollow and liked it. Its friendly and manageble with brekkie included in the price. FH is hte cheapest backpackers in town. You can also try the WMCA but its a bit depressing. I stayed there once and wouldn't really like to stay there again even though its quieter. You can have your own room there. At FH not all the rooms have air con. But if its doesn't matter too much in winter.

Van parks in darwin are hideously priced. About $30 minimum.

And don't even think of stealth camping around the coast areas. You will be told to move on. Any other place you will probably be sharing it with local aboriginals.

If you need a bike shop in darwin or even just for the hell of it, go and find deadly dave's bike shop. Its on the same street but opposite side of the road as the big tourist information centre.

You can use free internet at the public library.

sigh i love darwin.

Make sure you visit all the markets, not just mingle beach. Its a fun excuse to ride around the place anyway.

Art Galleries you should check out - the best one is Karen Brown on the corner of mitchell street down the end. Sorry i don't know the name of the other one. same as tourist info again. And the maningrida art gallery which sells the art of arnham land and tiwi islands which is of the more traditional type - bark paintings and such but has good quality. Darwin is a great place to discover aboriginal art. Avoid the stuff in the souvenir shops at least until after you've seen enough of the good stuff.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:24 am

Thanks for the suggestions ... Warmshowers seems a bit light on in Darwin itself. I did look at Frogs Hollow but it comes across as a party backpackers going by the website. Single room is $80 a night but that seems to be the going rate.

What about the Darwin YHA or Dingo Moon or Banyan? Dingo Moom and Banyan comes across on Trip Advisor as being pretty quiet with reasonable feedback.

I have stayed in a few backpackers in WA around the place so have a good idea of what they can be like .... even managed to get locked out of one place in Tauranga :) ...

Andrew

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:It looks like I am facing a change in circumstances in Darwin so now may need to find accommodation for a couple of nights before heading off. ANyone have suggestions for a suitable place to stay with a bike and trailer. Good access to a supermarket and post office would be handy as well as being quiet. Caravan Park or backpackers would be do the trick I guess.

Thanks
Andrew
Ah, bugger. I'll be away on my big USA adventure, and my wife will be studying for her last exam and not keen on known visitors, let alone unknown visitors, otherwise we'd have you.

I'll put the word in the street to see if anyone's keen to put you up. When? How long for? etc...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 pm

WestcoastPete wrote:I'll put the word in the street to see if anyone's keen to put you up. When? How long for? etc...
Thanks very much for your kind offer. My initial arrangements are still pretty fluid but need to canvass other options. I am flying in on Saturday July 7, 2012 and would like to leave Darwin on July 9, 2012. So a couple of nights in Darwin is being sought.

Thanks
Andrew

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:31 pm

The word is now in the streets. Let's see if we get any bites...

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:18 pm

A

I've added a few images, around 25 to 30 on a pdf file at the bottom of the pages on the tracks on me website which show what the general variation in trail conditions is like: GRR, Karijini, Kakadu, etc. Still a few to go but I should be finished by the end of the week.

ie, http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com/2_t ... river-road

and http://www.cycletrailsaustralia.com/2_t ... al-park-wa

Sometimes it's good to have an idea what the road is going to be like but I always think of Arthur Richardson tootling around there in 1900, that would be an adventure.

Funny while you are looking at my site I'm looking at yours as I take off on the Larapinta Trail on Thursday.

Cheers

GJ

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:45 am

GJ_Coop wrote:I've added a few images, around 25 to 30 on a pdf file at the bottom of the pages on the tracks on me website which show what the general variation in trail conditions is like: GRR, Karijini, Kakadu, etc. Still a few to go but I should be finished by the end of the week.
Nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Funny while you are looking at my site I'm looking at yours as I take off on the Larapinta Trail on Thursday.
I had read of your plans. All the best with the walk. It has some nice parts, especially when you get behing the tourist gorges :)

Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Aushiker wrote:Worked out the next leg from Tom Price through to Augusta ... this will be one of the more adventurous legs with water available at Asburton Downs homestead and if I am lucky Pingandy Creek and/or Dooley Downs other wise it is a big load of water.

Yet to decide where to next: South to Morawa via Murchison or out to the coast at Carnarvon for a little bit before heading back inland or maybe south-east towards Cue and south via an inland route. Suggestions?

Andrew

Hi Andrew. Have you decided on this leg yet?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:43 pm

J Quinton wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Worked out the next leg from Tom Price through to Augusta ... this will be one of the more adventurous legs with water available at Asburton Downs homestead and if I am lucky Pingandy Creek and/or Dooley Downs other wise it is a big load of water.

Yet to decide where to next: South to Morawa via Murchison or out to the coast at Carnarvon for a little bit before heading back inland or maybe south-east towards Cue and south via an inland route. Suggestions?

Andrew

Hi Andrew. Have you decided on this leg yet?
Yep. Probably easier to point you to RidewithGPS for the mapped out route south from Mt Augusta back to Fremantle. From Mt Augustus I have decided to continue south inland through to Morawa, so bypassing Mullewa. This will take me through Murchison. The route is mapped out here.

From Morawa I will head on to Northam via Carnamah, Coorow, Moora, Wongan Hills, Goomalling. There are a couple of nature reserves along this route so will probably get off the bitumen if I can and snake through the reserves. The bitumen route is mapped here. Not the shortest route but I want to revisit the Kep Track.

From Northam it is via the Kep Track into Midland and then the PSP through to Fremantle. Map of the route can be found here.

Keep in mind I prefer to not ride the highways if I can help it.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks

I'm sure there is a more direct route from Moora to Northam. Going as far south as Bindoon seems too far out of your way.

I bet farmers around there know, if you can not find info before you leave.

Was checking out the wind roses on BOM and your route appears to make much more sense than going along the coast all the way.

Have checked out a few websites, but may be a more cycling specific answer may appear. What is the gravel road like between Paraburdoo and Murchison/Canarvan-Mullewa rd?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:02 pm

J Quinton wrote:Thanks

I'm sure there is a more direct route from Moora to Northam.
The most direct route involves the Great Northern Highway out of Wubin ... not for me. If I go through Bindoon I would probably continue south via Chittering Valley ...
Have checked out a few websites, but may be a more cycling specific answer may appear. What is the gravel road like between Paraburdoo and Murchison/Canarvan-Mullewa rd?
GJ should give you some idea.

Andrew