Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Aushiker

Re: Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:07 pm

J Quinton wrote:Thanks

I'm sure there is a more direct route from Moora to Northam. Going as far south as Bindoon seems too far out of your way.
Whoops. Gave you the wrong info there. Updated option 1 to Northam. The option is to come through to GinGin and then snake across to Yanchep and then done the coast. I sort of did some of this on my Geraldton ride.

Andrew
Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:
GJ_Coop wrote:Roebourne has an IGA of a reasonable size but the town is dominated by Karratha not so far away. There's a big Woolies and I think a Coles, in a big shopping centre, as well as a Maccas, KFC, camping supply shop etc.

If you do go via Auski, Port Hedland has a big Woolies, (I camped across the road under a big tree near the watertanks) and the Maccas down at South Hedland, internet access only, of course.
Thanks. I think I will go via Karratha and therefore get to the Hamersley Gorges. Thanks for the suggestion.

Andrew
I've tried to find it, but the reason for going to Karratha, and not south from Hedland, is not clear to me yet. Can you please clarify the advantage?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:35 am

J Quinton wrote:I've tried to find it, but the reason for going to Karratha, and not south from Hedland, is not clear to me yet. Can you please clarify the advantage?
Avoid Gt Northern Highway
Visit Millstream Chichester National Park
Easier access to Hamersley Gorge - first taste of Karijini National Park on this route
More interesting remote riding getting there ... might even go into Wittenoom just because it will be "down the road a bit".
Not much difference in kilometres IIRC but then could have that wrong.

My thinking is that I am out there for the journey, for the exploration and for a taste of the outback, not to ride the shortest route in the fastest time on bitumen so I like to avoid highways if I can. I guess I could come south at Port Hedland but would miss Millstream Chichester National Park and would have to ride out to Hamersley and back again. Might have a second look at it.

Another possibility is to come via Marble Bar and then cut through on the Munjina Roy Road and that way I could say I have been to probably the hottest place in WA :) Mind you the winds can be bad around here I believe. Not sure what else is out there as well.

Just out of curiosity I mapped out a Port Hedland to Tom Price option via Karijini and Wittenoom. This works out at ~ 606 km versus 746 km going via Karratha. For 140 km, I think I will go via Millstream Chichester. I might look at going via Marble Bar as another option and coming into Karijini from the east and then back tracking from Hamersley Gorge back to Tom Price. Would still need to go to South Hedland for supplies first but.

I also want to climb Mt Bruce which will take out a day I suspect.

Andrew
Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:28 am

Have spoken to a friend who has driven up there. He really recommended to the rd between Roebourne and Wittenoom. But again you miss Chichester.

So I guess you're anticipating much less traffic on the West Coast hwy to Great northern.

Thanks for your thoughts

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:09 pm

J Quinton wrote:Have spoken to a friend who has driven up there. He really recommended to the rd between Roebourne and Wittenoom. But again you miss Chichester.
Roeburne - Wittenoom Road goes through Millstream Chichester National Park. If you come from Karratha you end up this road. The issue is the lack of re-supply at Roebourne, hence unless you stock up at Port Hedland you still need to go to Karratha.
So I guess you're anticipating much less traffic on the West Coast hwy to Great northern.
Not sure about the reference to West Coast Highway?

Andrew
Andrew

DCP

Postby DCP » Thu May 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I've just returned on a Darwin to Broome drive for work and saw a guy riding a roadie in outback NT on the way down. 10 days later he was quite a way into WA, nearly in Broome . He also had a person in a car following him.
2012 Merida Reacto 904

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 16, 2012 12:53 pm

One of the books I have read as part of putting this tour together was Roff Smith's Cold Beer & Crocodiles. TravellingTwo have recently published an interview with Roff. BTW the book is well worth a read.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 28, 2012 12:24 am

I have decided to add a sponsorship aspect to this ride. All money raised goes to The Centre for Cerebral Palsy here in WA. If you can see your way clear to support this cause that would be greatly appreciated. The sponsorship page can be found at Everyday Hero.

I have also set-up a CGAOB journal page for the ride and will update that along the way.

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

shann

Postby shann » Wed May 30, 2012 9:23 pm

Aushiker wrote:
J Quinton wrote:Have spoken to a friend who has driven up there. He really recommended to the rd between Roebourne and Wittenoom. But again you miss Chichester.
Roeburne - Wittenoom Road goes through Millstream Chichester National Park. If you come from Karratha you end up this road. The issue is the lack of re-supply at Roebourne, hence unless you stock up at Port Hedland you still need to go to Karratha.
Not sure about the reference to West Coast Highway?

Andrew
Can't vouch for the Great Northern Highway, but the Northwest Coastal Highway between Roebourne and Karratha is busy as hell at the moment - road trains etc. everywhere, as well as road works. If you're heading to Roebourne but not to Karratha, I'd recommend going out to Wickham (about 10km from Roebourne, toward the coast) to their reasonably-sized Woolworths (I believe it is closed on Sundays). The Roebourne Supply Mart is $$$ and doesn't sell much. Same with the servo there. You could also spend a night out at Point Samson, they have a caravan park which is not too expensive I don't think (there's one in Roebourne too), and you'll get a good feed at the Tavern.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 pm

shann wrote:Can't vouch for the Great Northern Highway, but the Northwest Coastal Highway between Roebourne and Karratha is busy as hell at the moment - road trains etc. everywhere, as well as road works. If you're heading to Roebourne but not to Karratha, I'd recommend going out to Wickham (about 10km from Roebourne, toward the coast) to their reasonably-sized Woolworths (I believe it is closed on Sundays). The Roebourne Supply Mart is $$$ and doesn't sell much. Same with the servo there. You could also spend a night out at Point Samson, they have a caravan park which is not too expensive I don't think (there's one in Roebourne too), and you'll get a good feed at the Tavern.
Thanks Shann. That does provide an option because I can head-off from Roebourne to Millstream Chichester National Park which would be nice.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:27 pm

ON the subject of riding from Perth to Darwin, I caught a short piece on 720 ABC on Sunday night (not sure of the program's name) where they where going around the states replaying local stories. One of those stories was about a very inspiring lady riding from Darwin to Perth! What as special about her but was not that she was riding solo (unsupported) but that she was doing this and she was 73 years old! What an inspiration!

I gather from the snippet I heard that she caught up with the interviewer in Katherine where the day before (?) she had ridden 150 km getting in around 8:30 PM. I gather she was rather worn out :) Mind you she sound very chirpy and fired up in the interview.

Anyway a great story well worth sharing :)

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:20 pm

Just a note of caution re the security of your gear - it's been quite a few years since last I passed through the northwest, but last time I was there the locals were very light-fingered around Fitzroy Crossing and like locations, and I lost a number of items in the blink of an eye. Things might have changed but I'd be careful not to leave your shiny stuff where the magpies can see it.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:26 am

What did you have stolen Ron?

I didn't have any problems with my gear in fitzroy crossing. I usually left my panniers on the bike eg when i went into the supermarket, but then i would wheel my bike into the centre and lean it against a wall just outside the supermarket. In Kununurra i did the same thing.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:38 am

I'm not doubting your experience RonK and I have never been to Fitzroy Crossing, but I had similar warnings given to me by a bloke about Maree.

"Look after your bike. When you get there of course the caravan park will have a locked enclosure to put things in, use it. The locals are not thieves but might just 'borrow' your bike"

Well, there are two caravan parks, but we were in the one in the centre of town, down the road from the pub. There was no such enclosure. We had no problems at all with the security of our gear. Not to say it won't happen, there's always a few bad apples in every bag, but I really think many 'Aussie battlers' overstate the risks in places they have fears about (but often no experience of). I certainly know my dad does.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Long Term Dreaming: Darwin to Perth

Postby RonK » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 am

I mentioned shiny stuff - small, attractive items like your camera, GPS, bike computer - things that attract children are best kept out of sight.
There is probably small risk if leaving your bike unattended for a short time.
We camped in a campground behind the pub as I recall. Several items of my wife's clothing were stolen from a washing line strung between tent poles, and a clock/radio was stolen from inside the tent.
Last edited by RonK on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 am

Yes, certainly agree with keeping attractive items out of the way. Clothes-line thefts always puzzle me, we've had this even at coastal caravan parks here in Victoria. Half the time they're not even particularly valuable items, just damned annoying to lose them.
Mandatory helmet law?

Meditator

Postby Meditator » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:30 am

The story about the old lady riding rings a bell. I think i might have heard about her last year when i was over there. I think she must stop and hang about in some places for a period of time like many grey nomads do.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:30 am

Meditator wrote:The story about the old lady riding rings a bell. I think i might have heard about her last year when i was over there. I think she must stop and hang about in some places for a period of time like many grey nomads do.
Found the story. It was this month. The lady's name is Lizzy Ferstl and you read/hear the story on the ABC website

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

That photo raises a whole host of questions that remain unanswered by the ABC item :?
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 am

I think there is a mention of a trailer in the audio IIRC.

Andrew

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 am

Ah, yes. I think there may be BOB nuts on her rear axle, now that I look closely.
Mandatory helmet law?

footloose

Postby footloose » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:59 am

RonK wrote:Just a note of caution re the security of your gear - it's been quite a few years since last I passed through the northwest, but last time I was there the locals were very light-fingered around Fitzroy Crossing and like locations, and I lost a number of items in the blink of an eye. Things might have changed but I'd be careful not to leave your shiny stuff where the magpies can see it.
Having done a fair bit of traveling myself and lessons learned from conversations with quite a few other people on the road means that I and I suppose most others practice pretty careful habits when it comes to looking after our gear. There are light fingered types in every town who will take advantage of an opportunity. I don't think it's fair to single out or mention any particular location or town without backing it up with some sort of citation.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi

In the final throes of preparation. Flying out Saturday for the warms of Darwin and the Grand Depart is schedule for Monday.

I will keep a journal happening at Crazy Guy on a Bike at least and possibly update here if time permits if you are bored and want some reading material. If your credit card is feeling lonely you can support the Cerebral Palsy Centre by clicking on the donate now button :)

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:20 pm

Good luck Andrew and hope it's all a safe trip and a very enjoyable one I look forward to reading your journal when I can.

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Aushiker wrote:In the final throes of preparation. Flying out Saturday for the warms of Darwin and the Grand Depart is schedule for Monday.
Damn!!

Well, all the best luck out there Andrew. (Not jealous, no really not!)
Aushiker wrote:I will keep a journal happening at Crazy Guy on a Bike at least and possibly update here if time permits if you are bored and want some reading material.
Will look forward to hearing any posts on your experiences.
Mandatory helmet law?