Panniers

Aushiker

Re: Panniers

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:32 am

Hi

Here is another approach to carrying water on your panniers :)

This is the CyclingDutchGirl's setup. She and her friend where carrying 54 litres at one stage.

Andrew

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 am

Does anyone else find the Ortlieb QR2 release system quite annoying with a Tubus rack? I find that mine are really hard to attach or remove, sometimes I have to manually push the catch down so it latches onto the rack. When I remove it I have to pull the handle up to open the catch and then give it a bit of a yank to get it off. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I installed the optional fitting things so its a nice snug fit on the rack tubes so it doesn rattle around, but I think it might be a bit too tight hence my issues. I can't seem to get them out again though. :x
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:49 am

Hi elStado I've just got back from an 11 day tour and I used the Orlieb panniers with a Cosmo SS Tubus rack. Never any probs attaching or removing the bags. They fitted easily and came off with no effort. (On past tours when using very rough dirt roads/tracks, sometimes the bottom adjustable arm might work a little loose, but that's all.)

Did you use the appropriate sized fitting on the inside of the top latch to match the diameter of the Tubus rack? One other possibility might be if you pack too much so that the pannier is a bit misshapen it may twist the pannier top track slightly that can compromise its attachment ability. I also set up the panniers so they fit cleanly on the top rail by moving the adjustable clips along the track attached to the pannier so as not to interfere with the rack struts but in such a way they don't have any movement.

Re your last point I originally installed the wrong diameter clip but didn't have any probs removing them, I think IIRC I used a little screw driver to gently prise them out.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:32 pm

elStado wrote:Does anyone else find the Ortlieb QR2 release system quite annoying with a Tubus rack? I find that mine are really hard to attach or remove, sometimes I have to manually push the catch down so it latches onto the rack. When I remove it I have to pull the handle up to open the catch and then give it a bit of a yank to get it off. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I installed the optional fitting things so its a nice snug fit on the rack tubes so it doesn rattle around, but I think it might be a bit too tight hence my issues. I can't seem to get them out again though. :x
You should be using the large inserts on the Tubus rack, not the small ones.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

stubbie

Postby stubbie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 am

RonK wrote:
elStado wrote:Does anyone else find the Ortlieb QR2 release system quite annoying with a Tubus rack? I find that mine are really hard to attach or remove, sometimes I have to manually push the catch down so it latches onto the rack. When I remove it I have to pull the handle up to open the catch and then give it a bit of a yank to get it off. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I installed the optional fitting things so its a nice snug fit on the rack tubes so it doesn rattle around, but I think it might be a bit too tight hence my issues. I can't seem to get them out again though. :x
You should be using the large inserts on the Tubus rack, not the small ones.
+1 If they feel a bit loose wrap a strip of insulation tape around the rack at the attachment point.
Gravity will never let you down.

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:40 pm

RonK wrote:You should be using the large inserts on the Tubus rack, not the small ones.
Large as in the bigger, fatter inserts? Because that is what I am using. I have a little bit of electrical tape wrapped around the rack tubes to stop it rubbing.

I'm using a Cosmo as well btw. Awesome rack now I have it fitted correctly on the bike.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:18 pm

elStado wrote:
RonK wrote:You should be using the large inserts on the Tubus rack, not the small ones.
Large as in the bigger, fatter inserts? Because that is what I am using. I have a little bit of electrical tape wrapped around the rack tubes to stop it rubbing.

I'm using a Cosmo as well btw. Awesome rack now I have it fitted correctly on the bike.
There are two sets of inserts provided with Ortlieb bags. One set is obviously intended for a larger size rack tubing. RTFM. Since the Cosmo rack is not powder coated it's not necessary to insulate the tubes from rubbing, even though Tubus provide a set of tapes. That is the reason for choosing a stainless steel rack.

I have fitted the Tubus tapes to the tubes as shown in the pictures in my previous post. I've never had a problem mounting or removing the panniers, or had any problem with them rattling.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

elStado

Postby elStado » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:34 pm

RonK wrote:
elStado wrote:

There are two sets of inserts provided with Ortlieb bags. One set is obviously intended for a larger size rack tubing. RTFM. Since the Cosmo rack is not powder coated it's not necessary to insulate the tubes from rubbing, even though Tubus provide a set of tapes. That is the reason for choosing a stainless steel rack.

I have fitted the Tubus tapes to the tubes as shown in the pictures in my previous post. I've never had a problem mounting or removing the panniers, or had any problem with them rattling.
OK. I'll have another look at it later. I have to admit I installed it and have been using it in a rush, so haven't had a chance to have a look at why it isn't working. I've got some free time this week now I have finished my studies.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:49 pm

Just noticed my Ortlieb pannier bags touch the lower bolt heads and nuts on my front rack. :o
I'm wondering if anyone's come across a rubber or plastic cover either purpose built to cover boltheads or nuts
or has come up with an idea of their own? :idea:
I'm just thinking there might be potential wear issue from the M8 bolts nuts where they touch the bags. :(
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 pm

elStado wrote:OK. I'll have another look at it later. I have to admit I installed it and have been using it in a rush, so haven't had a chance to have a look at why it isn't working. I've got some free time this week now I have finished my studies.
If you had installed the wrong size inserts your bags would not hook on properly to the rack (the clips would not close over it). There are inserts for 7mm racks a la Blackburn, and then inserts for 10mm rack tubes a la Tubus. 7mm inserts would not ft over the Cosmo's 10mm tubes.

My panniers have lost the inserts over time. In more than one of them carrying heavy loads has caused the hooks to distort a little bit and the inserts have come out. It's mainly the rear bags but they still remain secure on the bike. On tour I usually have a racktop drybag above them so they don't rattle about at all.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:56 pm

Just an idea for carrying more water - good idea! Spotted this on someones blog, rack looks like Surly Nice rack, using additional triangle mounting plates

Found on:
http://2cycle2gether.com/
Last edited by polishbiker on Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Here is another approach to carrying water on your panniers :)

This is the CyclingDutchGirl's setup. She and her friend where carrying 54 litres at one stage.
That is BNA member Detail (aka gcoop) who she bumped into on the Warburton Road.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi

My Bike Pack Plus rear panniers arrived during the week from Evan Cycles via UPS. Look very nice indeed. Assuming the material handles life on the road okay (five year warranty so it should) I don't think I would get the standard panniers again. These look much nicer in the flesh.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

My Bike Pack Plus rear panniers arrived during the week from Evan Cycles via UPS. Look very nice indeed. Assuming the material handles life on the road okay (five year warranty so it should) I don't think I would get the standard panniers again. These look much nicer in the flesh.

Andrew
Pics or it didnt happen :wink:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:16 pm

rifraf wrote:Just noticed my Ortlieb pannier bags touch the lower bolt heads and nuts on my front rack. :o
I'm wondering if anyone's come across a rubber or plastic cover either purpose built to cover boltheads or nuts
I'm just thinking there might be potential wear issue from the M8 bolts nuts where they touch the bags. :( ]
I faced that with my panniers which had some magnificent receding/rubbing and basically I wrapped foam around the bolts and nuts and gaffer taped them so it provided some padding. I also padded the back of the panniers where they touched the nuts and bolts for extra protection and reduce friction. Wear and tear doesn't look good at the places where they rub. Friction accelerates the deterioration.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:24 pm

rifraf wrote:Just noticed my Ortlieb pannier bags touch the lower bolt heads and nuts on my front rack. :o
I'm just thinking there might be potential wear issue from the M8 bolts nuts where they touch the bags. :(
Coat that part of the back of your panniers with some Sugru ??
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:30 pm

il padrone wrote:Coat that part of the back of your panniers with some Sugru ??
or apply it to the nuts/bolts.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:39 pm

I'd thought of that, but it might make it a bit difficult for rifraf to get his hex-key in to remove the rack.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:53 pm

il padrone wrote:I'd thought of that, but it might make it a bit difficult for rifraf to get his hex-key in to remove the rack.
The hex-key boltheads shown were just to hold the rack in place for a pic.
The only bolts available I could get in quickly were just standard bolt heads but at least in stainless steel with a ss nyloc nut.
I've seen somewhere, but memory currently fails me, a plastic cover (or maybe it was rubber) specifically for nuts and bolts in positions
where abrasion could be an issue.
It'll come to me (at 3am sometime) but probably after I've paid for another and probably inferior solution.
I'm a little too fussy to want beads of gloop on my bike or panniers no matter how good the cause but thanks for
the thoughts guys. :D

Ronbellows

Postby Ronbellows » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 am

Rifraf, you can insert an M8 helicoil (using a helicoil kit) in the tube you currently have your bolts running through. This allows you to use a bolt with a very flat dome head and allen key socket like the ones the rack should have come with. I haven't done this yet, but the procedure was described in the latest MBC journal.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 am

Ronbellows wrote:Rifraf, you can insert an M8 helicoil (using a helicoil kit) in the tube you currently have your bolts running through. This allows you to use a bolt with a very flat dome head and allen key socket like the ones the rack should have come with. I haven't done this yet, but the procedure was described in the latest MBC journal.
Hi Ron,
longtime no see :wink:
Thanks for the interesting tip :!: :idea: :!:
When are you going to post a pic of your wheels?
Love to see it

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:23 pm

G'day

A few happy snaps of the Ortlieb Bike-Packer Plus rear panniers. The full set of snaps can be found here.
These are yet to be used in anger ... should be this afternoon on a shopping trip :)

Regards
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Hi Andrew

Nice looking panniers, makes me think that I'd be better off with these rather than my Bikepacker Classics :D . The pockets on them are nice and they have a better mounting system. The Germans sure know how to do warranties. I recently received a new Tubus Cargo for my daughter and on the documentation see that they now guarantee these for 30 years :shock: !

I see that you've gone for the Mars 4.0 tail-lights in a pair as your main tail-lights. How have you found them? I use one as secondary to my dynamo rear light and it is a very bright flasher, and pretty waterproof so far.
Mandatory helmet law?

Max

Panniers

Postby Max » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Aushiker, how useful is that external pocket?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Nice Andrew and the red look great not to mention your pushy.

Ricky