Panniers

Aushiker

Re: Panniers

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:00 pm

il padrone wrote:I see that you've gone for the Mars 4.0 tail-lights in a pair as your main tail-lights. How have you found them? I use one as secondary to my dynamo rear light and it is a very bright flasher, and pretty waterproof so far.
Actually haven't used them much as this bike is mainly used for touring and carrying a load to the office/shopping which is not so often. The lights have worked fine on the odd occasion I have used them but. One will stay as a back up once I put the dynamo powered lights on this bike and the other will probably do the same on the mountain bike.

I brought them because of their rack mounting so good from that perspective too.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 pm

Max wrote:Aushiker, how useful is that external pocket?
They call it a pouch Max and for good reason :). No depth to of note so probably only good for thin/small items you might want easy access to. The lid is not secured either, relying on the side straps to tighten the pocket. I need to get another set of panniers for the Extrawheel and I think I will probably go with a set of Back-Roller Plus panniers or Bike-Tour if I can find a seller at a reasonable price over another set of Bike-Packer Plus.

That said the key for me now is the better material IMO (the Plus feature) and the QL2 mount. I might now even update the front panniers and sell off the old ones as they don't mount well on the front rack. They have a early version of the QL1 mounting system.

Regards
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:08 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Nice Andrew and the red look great not to mention your pushy.
Thanks Ricky. Pretty much stock Surly LHT with a anti-theft paint job :)

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 pm

Aushiker wrote:I might now even update the front panniers and sell off the old ones as they don't mount well on the front rack. They have a early version of the QL1 mounting system.
Even the QL2 mounting system (the lower hook) does not fit well on the 16mm tubing of the Tubus Tara (which by the way is upside down in your picture). The Tubus Ergo is a better choice with its 10 mm tubes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 pm

Aushiker wrote: I might now even update the front panniers and sell off the old ones as they don't mount well on the front rack. They have a early version of the QL1 mounting system.
They mount very well on mine. Actually this is the reason:
RonK wrote:Even the QL2 mounting system (the lower hook) does not fit well on the 16mm tubing of the Tubus Tara (which by the way is upside down in your picture).
You mst have had a bit of a brainfade when fitting that rack Andrew :P

When using the front panniers on the Tara I have found that these lower hooks (for QL1) work much better - when placed such that the hook opening faces forwards to hook over the lower bend in the Tara.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:39 am

il padrone wrote:You mst have had a bit of a brainfade when fitting that rack Andrew :P
Yeah, well I didn't read the instructions for sure and it seemed to fit okay so I didn't think more of it. :oops:
When using the front panniers on the Tara I have found that these lower hooks (for QL1) work much better - when placed such that the hook opening faces forwards to hook over the lower bend in the Tara.
Mine are an older style with the hook only facing forward or back parallel to the ground but once the rack is fitted properly I should be able to hook it on properly :). Something like this one in the photo but I cannot turn mine up or down.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:36 am

Aushiker wrote:Mine are an older style with the hook only facing forward or back parallel to the ground but once the rack is fitted properly I should be able to hook it on properly :). Something like this one in the photo but I cannot turn mine up or down.

These hooks are a narrower width opening, suitable for 10mm tubes, but are flexed out by 16mm tubes. The one I posted above is the same mounting rail but a wider opening for 16mm.

The QL2 is a better system but I'm quite happy using the QL1 on Tubus racks, for now.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:36 pm

G'day

Rack fixed :). Panniers now fit better on the front but as suggested the QL1 is stressed by the wider tubes.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Nicely done now.

Next time you order any touring gear from SJS Cycles add a pair of the Ortlieb 16mm anchoring hooks on the order :wink: .

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Starting to look the part now my bar-bag mount has arrived and so has my 31L rack bag.
I just quickly threw a few things into the bags to bulk them out a bit.
The stand held the bike up ok which was something I was concerned about today as the wind is wild.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Rifraf would the rear bag work better length ways?

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Aushiker wrote:Rifraf would the rear bag work better length ways?

Andrew
Hi Andrew
Was looking at putting my sleeping bag (in its own wetbag) between the rackbag and the seapost.
The rear rack isnt flat from front to back.
It may look a little wide but so is the rack and its a medium sized 31 litre bag so fairly average amongst
the users here. Difference being of course that its not sitting on top of a pair of rear panniers.
If I deem it to need a bit more support I'll add a length of ply underneath it - sound like an idea :idea: ?
Cheers
Aidan :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:20 pm

My mate Mike had that Moulton rack modified to take panniers - a couple of v-braces down to support the bag and hold the lower clip, and two lateral diagonals to brace all that. He happily carries full WE panniers using this.

Maybe a future option for you??

He also had some neat frame bags made to fit inside the truss frame and on top of it. You've seen this picture before.

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:31 pm

il padrone wrote:My mate Mike had that Moulton rack modified to take panniers - a couple of v-braces down to support the bag and hold the lower clip, and two lateral diagonals to brace all that. He happily carries full WE panniers using this.

Maybe a future option for you??
Definitely IP :!:
He's been very quiet and I dont know if he's yet back form Thailand.
He was thinking Nov. but after the floods..........
Hopefully he's still alive and kicking (or should that be spinning - cranks)
I was after some bits and bobs but his helper had a death in the family and
Mike wasnt sure when they would be back in Vic to sort me out so
as I was a little impatient I went via the back door to get myself a front and
rear suspension rebuild kit from the UK.
I want to get his opinion on how much weight the thin tubed rear end can handle in
the way of luggage. This made me hesitate before buying a tubus rack with p-clips
or a Old Man Mountain version of the same.
I suspected I could of utilised my mudguard mounts on the dropouts (maybe having to drill and rethread them
a larger size to handle the weight better than the M5 which I think are currently in there).
The Moulton way is a nicely fitting (to the rack) but only 25 litre black rack bag I think by Carridice.
Cheers
Aidan

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 am

rifraf wrote:Starting to look the part now my bar-bag mount has arrived and so has my 31L rack bag.
I just quickly threw a few things into the bags to bulk them out a bit.
The stand held the bike up ok which was something I was concerned about today as the wind is wild.
Well, anyone who claimed they didn't see you would either be blind or lying... :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 am

RonK wrote: Well, anyone who claimed they didn't see you would either be blind or lying... :wink:
I wonder if you can see my glare though the glare :?: :evil: :lol:
Perhaps my choosing an avatar of a budgie is in order to suggest your being well out of order Ron :wink:
although considering the coin I've invested lately I think a golden goose might be more appropriate. :lol:

When I lived in Sydney I lost count of the amount of taps and near misses from cars so yes
I want to be seen and an excess of bright yellow should certainly make a cop question anyone
in the position of espousing "I didnt see im orificer" :D
Last edited by rifraf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:09 pm

rifraf wrote:Starting to look the part now my bar-bag mount has arrived and so has my 31L rack bag.

Awesome Aidan one thing I really like about your bike frame is it has such a great ability to connect or strap items to the frame because of it's design. I just love the colour coordination you have done and it's great when a company does a full range of gear like this. I was just a bit sad when Ortlieb didn't do rack bag in the colour I wanted.

Ricky

Max

Postby Max » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:05 pm

Rifraf, I love all the yellow. I reckon it'd make you look like a giant pedalling canary! :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:10 pm

Max wrote:Rifraf, I love all the yellow. I reckon it'd make you look like a giant pedalling canary! :lol:

Max
Or a banana! :lol: :lol: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:01 pm

Max wrote:Rifraf, I love all the yellow. I reckon it'd make you look like a giant pedalling canary! :lol:

Max
RonK wrote: Or a banana! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remind me again you orrible lot, why is it I come ere? :roll: :wink: :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:04 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Awesome Aidan one thing I really like about your bike frame is it has such a great ability to connect or strap items to the frame because of it's design. I just love the colour coordination you have done and it's great when a company does a full range of gear like this. I was just a bit sad when Ortlieb didn't do rack bag in the colour I wanted.
Ricky
Ahhh Ricky, a person of good taste unlike certain philistines I could mention :wink:
Cheers Ricky, glad you like it. :D

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:20 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Awesome Aidan one thing I really like about your bike frame is it has such a great ability to connect or strap items to the frame because of it's design. I just love the colour coordination you have done and it's great when a company does a full range of gear like this. I was just a bit sad when Ortlieb didn't do rack bag in the colour I wanted.
Ricky
Ahhh Ricky, a person of good taste unlike certain philistines I could mention :wink:
Cheers Ricky, glad you like it. :D
Well, I must say those are very nice pedals, and the grips...oh, and that handlebar bag mounting bracket and extension - fantastic! :lol:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:37 pm

RonK wrote: Well, I must say those are very nice pedals, and the grips...oh, and that handlebar bag mounting bracket and extension - fantastic! :lol:
LOL :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oi!
you forgot the shoes :P
Oh and the new cleats arrived today we discussed with some new XTR brake pads for my V-brakes.
Last edited by rifraf on Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Aushiker wrote:Rifraf would the rear bag work better length ways?

Andrew
In answering you before Andrew, I wonder if this might have been a better pic to illustrate
how I didnt think the rear bag stuck out to far on either side (if this was what you
were alluding to). I was trying to point out that of the owners "here" with the same rack bag
everyone seemed to choose the medium (31L) and that it wasnt really any wider than
a set of panniers.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:33 pm

RonK wrote: Or a banana! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Done :!: