Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

RonK

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

rifraf wrote:its been a few months now and I was wondering where your thoughts were with regards to your Rohloff.
Hi Rifraf,

I have by now covered more than 2500km now with the Rohloff, but my assessment of it has not changed. However, I have not done a loaded tour on it yet, so it's still possible my thinking might shift, but I doubt you'll ever find me rapturously singing it praises in the way some owners are apt to do.

The dual drive sounds like the right choice for you - it would be hard to justify the expense of a Rohloff hub.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Looks like planet-x-bikes have some discounted stock:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRV ... om_bracket" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
554.99 UK pounds delivered if I'm not mistaken. :o
Food for thought?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:45 pm

Such a shame to me that they didn't offer the frame options up a little like Surly.
If you could jump from IGH to derailleur etc and choose whether to utilise a disk brake or V then it would be a much simpler choice. I'd scramble for the light weight and classy Pioneer. Even at the extremely discounted price above its not enough to make for an easy decision so I wont yet make one. :roll:

Oh they've just bumped up their price by over 100 pound - moving right along........ :shock:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed May 22, 2013 6:27 pm

Down to 479.99 quid, or $744.80 delivered. Sure am tempted!

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Jonno wrote:Down to 479.99 quid, or $744.80 delivered. Sure am tempted!
The problem still remains where to get the matching VNT TRX fork...

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Thu May 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Yeah seems to be a real pain to get!

Are there any non OEM fork options to suggest?
Last edited by Jonno on Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu May 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Jonno wrote:Yeah seems to be a real pain to get!

Are there any non OEM fork options to suggest?
You could get a VN MTB fork, but I'm not sure what "suspension corrected" implies for a bike which was designed to be rigid.

It wouldn't have rack eyelets but the are ways around that.

Best may be to see if you can get one direct from VN, although I can't see it listed as a component.

Otherwise (and yes, it goes against the grain), a Surly LHT fork perhaps?

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Thu May 23, 2013 11:57 pm

VN replied to my enquiry:
"The TRX fork is € 150,-  incl 21% VAT"

Another option:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-26-inc ... prod10214/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think Ron? Is this Rohloff project worth it or should I look elsewhere?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri May 24, 2013 6:35 am

Jonno wrote:VN replied to my enquiry:
"The TRX fork is € 150,- incl 21% VAT"

Another option:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-26-inc ... prod10214/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think Ron? Is this Rohloff project worth it or should I look elsewhere?
Yes, this fork would work, but the Pioneer is an expedition bike - would s carbon fork be ok for heavy duty use. I do have one on my Sabarh but it's really a medium weight road tourer.

I'm unimpressed with the Rohloff and would not build another Rohloff equipped bike.

Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed May 29, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks Ron, I value your opinion. I'll look elsewhere for my next project!

onrbikes

Postby onrbikes » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Hey Jonno

Not sure if you're still looking but SJS has some good frames on sale.
Depending what size ur looking for.

They also have a used one on Ebay UK.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-cleara ... rrency=usd

STC67

Postby STC67 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Ron, gearing aside, how do you find the difference in geometry between the Sabbath Silk Route and the VN Pioneer. I know they are different bicycles for different purposes, but for an all day rider, if they had similar specs, How would you compare. I note there is not a lot of info (that I could find) on the specs on the Sabbath site. I have emailed them but they are yet to get back to me.

Thanks

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:27 am

STC67 wrote:Hi Ron, gearing aside, how do you find the difference in geometry between the Sabbath Silk Route and the VN Pioneer. I know they are different bicycles for different purposes, but for an all day rider, if they had similar specs, How would you compare. I note there is not a lot of info (that I could find) on the specs on the Sabbath site. I have emailed them but they are yet to get back to me.

Thanks
I did get the geometry chart from Sabbath, but I dunno what I did with it 'cos I can't find it now. But its a fairly conventional drop bar geometry measuring 58cm cc along the effective horizontal top tube. This is the same as my previous tourer, and pretty spot on for me as I normally ride a 56cm roadie, but the higher front, i.e. bars at the same level as the saddle effectively shortens the bike.

The Pioneer was a little more difficult to fathom as I don't have much experience sizing flat bar bikes. However it seems that frames designed for use with flat bars are longer, so it's no surprise that the Pioneer is 61cm cc along the effective horizontal top tube. I think the head tube and seat tube angles are a little more relaxed too. A flat bar touring bike was a real experiment for me as I've never been able to get comfortable riding an MTB over any distance - lots of problems with numbness in my hands. So far I still have them, even with the ubeaut Ergon grips fitted. I have cut down the bar as narrow as possible, but I think it's still too wide.

Both are nice bikes to ride, but with the Rohloff hub and SON dynamo hub the Pioneer is quite a bit heavier. To my mind the Sabbath is the nicer ride, possibly because I'm more accustomed to drop bars.