Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

il padrone

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:49 am

RonK wrote:I'm fussy about these things...aesthetics are important to me. :roll: :)
e-Werk with auxilliary battery - no thanks...
That is nothing like what mine will look like. The Powermonkey Extreme is actually a larger battery than this but it will only be used when I have the handlebar bag, so that's where it will live. I'll have the Ewerk on the down tube, close to the head tube (less obtrusive).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:39 am

il padrone wrote:I'll have the Ewerk on the down tube, close to the head tube (less obtrusive).
Hi IP,
a question regarding wiring setup.
Does your headlight wire (+-) go through your E-Werk or independent of it.
Does the headlight wire and E-Werk wires piggyback each other coming off the Son hub?
Cheers
Aidan :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:45 am

rifraf wrote:
il padrone wrote:I'll have the Ewerk on the down tube, close to the head tube (less obtrusive).
Hi IP,
Does the headlight wire and E-Werk wires piggyback each other coming off the Son hub?
Cheers
Way I have mine setup, I have the E-Werk cable and Light plugged into the same spade connectors.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:07 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Way I have mine setup, I have the E-Werk cable and Light plugged into the same spade connectors.
+1

I twisted the Ewerk and Supernova wires together, then fastened into the one pair of spade connectors. Since then I've seen a mate's bike that has a tricky special spade connector that divides into two, just for such a use. He would probably have got it from Cheeky Monkey Transport.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Baalzamon wrote:
rifraf wrote:
Hi IP,
Cheers
Way I have mine setup, I have the E-Werk cable and Light plugged into the same spade connectors.
Good to know :!:
Your headlight and E-Werk are independent of each other except where they piggyback the spade connectors
on the hub.
Safe to assume you dont run your headlight during daylight hours?
I'd have to change what is now an ingrained habit of leaving my headlight on 24/7 (not a biggie with some forethought) :|

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:14 pm

rifraf wrote:Your headlight and E-Werk are independent of each other except where they piggyback the spade connectors
on the hub.
Safe to assume you dont run your headlight during daylight hours?
I'd have to change what is now an ingrained habit of leaving my headlight on 24/7 (not a biggie with some forethought) :|
:? Why not?

I've been running the headlight 24/7 for the past 10 months like this. Don't see how it could be a problem. There is enough extra output from the Schmidt to charge stuff as well as run the lights, just a bit slower. Turn the headlight off if you want maximum charging rates.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:38 pm

il padrone wrote: :? Why not?

I've been running the headlight 24/7 for the past 10 months like this. Don't see how it could be a problem. There is enough extra output from the Schmidt to charge stuff as well as run the lights, just a bit slower. Turn the headlight off if you want maximum charging rates.
Good to know there is some extra charge available - I hadn't anticipated this.
I had hoped it wasn't just me enjoying the perception/illusion of greater visibility to the sometimes seemingly blind behemoths
we share the roads with. :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:54 pm

rifraf wrote:perception/illusion of greater visibility to the sometimes seemingly blind behemoths
we share the roads with. :)
Greater visibility, mucho grande!

I have been getting drivers stopping for me when they are doing a right-hand turn, 50-100m away, when I have no following traffic and I'm only doing 25kmh :shock: My theory - they think at first, that I am a motorbike. 8)
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:25 pm

il padrone wrote:Since then I've seen a mate's bike that has a tricky special spade connector that divides into two, just for such a use. He would probably have got it from Cheeky Monkey Transport.
It might have been two of these connectors that he was using (Schmidt connector from SJS Cycles)

Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 pm

il padrone wrote:
il padrone wrote:Since then I've seen a mate's bike that has a tricky special spade connector that divides into two, just for such a use. He would probably have got it from Cheeky Monkey Transport.
It might have been two of these connectors that he was using (Schmidt connector from SJS Cycles)
They are piggyback spade connectors, I'm using them so I can remove the charging system when I'm at home. You can get them from places like Jaycar and probably Dick Smiths, auto-electricians and auto accessories shop like Supercheap auto. I'll be soldering the joints and covering them with heat-shrink tubing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:15 pm

RonK wrote:They are piggyback spade connectors, I'm using them so I can remove the charging system when I'm at home. You can get them from places like Jaycar and probably Dick Smiths, auto-electricians and auto accessories shop like Supercheap auto. I'll be soldering the joints and covering them with heat-shrink tubing.
The also come with the PedalPower+ Super-i- Cable.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:53 pm

As predicted it has been raining on and off here all day - typical wet season weather. So this afternoon I finally brought myself to fit the Pletscher Comp stand I've had waiting in my parts bin.
It looks just like this one in the Van Nicholas brochure picture.
But aarrrrgh, it's so fugly, it's revolting.

I hate kickstands - I just couldn't bear it, and had to take it off immediately.

Maybe...maybe I'll put it back on to tour when it will be hidden by a pannier. But probably I'll just use my Click Stand instead.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:18 pm

RonK wrote:Image
But aarrrrgh, it's so fugly, it's revolting.

I hate kickstands.
Nah! ".......the eye of the beholder" and all.

I find practical devices that accomplish a task well to be quite the beautiful thing :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Ron (the beholder) might need a poke (in the eye) with a kickstand :wink:
Sometimes its just gotta be function over form.
Personally I commend Van Nicholas for just how displeasing to the eye he didnt
make this and how he made the best of a bad job as its probably possible to do.
I think that that is as elegant a form as your likely to see and indeed I almost
wonder if its beefy enough to "stand" up to the rigeurs possibly to be demanded of it.
You nearly said you couldnt "stand" it :!:
Well if you hadnt guessed, I'm now a convert to rear mounted kickstands.
Ron, yours compared to mine looks made for the job and I'd bet that given
a bit of time to get used to it, twont be long before you'll be singing its virtues
and conveniently forgotten your time "over on the Darkside". :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:03 pm

rifraf wrote:I think that that is as elegant a form as your likely to see and indeed I almost
wonder if its beefy enough to "stand" up to the rigeurs possibly to be demanded of it.
Nah, the Click Stand is most elegant and simple: holds up my bike, scratches my back, props open my tent fly, catches brown snakes that crawl into my tent, and knocks down those fruit that I can't reach when I raid the roadside orchards :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's so elegant you don't even notice it's there.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:18 pm

Each to their own.

I like a stand so elegant others don't even notice it's there - I just get off the bike and the bike stands up straight away, almost by itself. No faffing about unfolding a walking stick :P

And when I need to take off, a quick kick and I'm riding. Simple, quick, effective for the job it's designed.

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:23 pm

RonK wrote: It's so elegant you don't even notice it's there.
A bit like your E3 pro :?: :wink:
Your bikes looking magnificent and I'm as envious as hell :mrgreen:
A superb choice of frame and componentry that looks like it'll do you proud for
many years and miles to come.
I hope you've a heavy D lock to wave off the magpies.
I sure wish they Velo did those guards to suit 406 rims :(

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 pm

il padrone wrote:Each to their own.

I like a stand so elegant others don't even notice it's there - I just get off the bike and the bike stands up straight away, almost by itself. No faffing about unfolding a walking stick :P

And when I need to take off, a quick kick and I'm riding. Simple, quick, effective for the job it's designed.
But can you catch a brown snake with it? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:47 pm

rifraf wrote: I hope you've a heavy D lock to wave off the magpies.
We've had this conversation on one of the threads. I don't do locks - I've no wish to carry an extra kilo around. I have a light cable lock but that is all.

If you want to keep your bike then don't let it out of your sight unless you are bloody sure about its security.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:08 am

RonK wrote:But can you catch a brown snake with it? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Walk away quietly :wink:
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:08 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote: I hope you've a heavy D lock to wave off the magpies.
We've had this conversation on one of the threads. I don't do locks - I've no wish to carry an extra kilo around. I have a light cable lock but that is all.

If you want to keep your bike then don't let it out of your sight unless you are bloody sure about its security.
Well then maybe sharpen one end of the Clickstand to poke magpies in the eye so they dont become the beholder :idea: :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:03 pm

rifraf wrote: And just how good are they?
How does the E3 compare to your Ayap?
Pics or it hasnt happened :wink:
Especially for rifraf, here are some pics of the Supernova E3.
As predicted it rained all morning so still no riding. Bored, I got the soldering iron out and fitted the E3.

I don't know what it is like out on the road yet - that will have to wait until the rain stops. But looking good...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:05 pm

il padrone wrote:Since then I've seen a mate's bike that has a tricky special spade connector that divides into two, just for such a use.
If you are going to use piggyback connectors, my tip is to fit them to the charger wiring. When not touring you can remove the charger and have the lights connected without leaving any bare terminals being exposed.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 pm

The rain has finally stopped and I've been able to get out on the bike and see how good the E3 Pro Terraflux lighting really is. As mentioned previously, the benchmark is my Ayups which are about 4 years old and only half as bright as the current model Ayups.

With the lights on there is a barely perceptible tingling from the dynamo hub felt through the bars at normal road speed. At speeds over 35 kph there is a distinct but not particularly intrusive vibration noticeable through the frame.

At night the E3 Pro is probably not quite as bright or penetrating as the Ayups, which have an intermediate beam. The E3 has a broader, more diffused spread of light which nonetheless provides excellent illumination of the road surface for a long way ahead. I'm not sure about the taillight, as I can't see for myself how bright it is, but in any case I will continue to use the Cateye TL-LD1000 in conjunction as a small light no matter how bright is easily lost amongst a background of vehicle taillights, and a flashing light is less easily missed. The stand light function is useful but not particularly bright and I wouldn't feel too confident I'd be seen waiting at an intersection for the lights to change. For the sake of the extra clutter of wiring on the bike frame I don't think the taillight is really worth spending the extra cash on.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:53 pm

RonK wrote:The stand light function is useful but not particularly bright and I wouldn't feel too confident I'd be seen waiting at an intersection for the lights to change. For the sake of the extra clutter of wiring on the bike frame I don't think the taillight is really worth spending the extra cash on.
I'm pretty sure that the E3 standlight is just as bright as the normal light in use. I don't have any concerns about it.

"Clutter of wiring" ?? It may be worthwhile reviewing your wiring path. I ran mine along the underside of the down tube, next to and cable-tied to, the Rohloff gear cables; under the BB; following the gear cables along the underside of the chainstay; then along (cable-tied to) the Cargo rack's rear-most stay leading it up to the light's rack mount. Overall it is pretty inconspicuous to most views. It is also run in such a way that I can remove the whole lighting system in one piece by cutting the cable ties, as there are no plugs on the E3 system.
Mandatory helmet law?