Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:02 pm

Riddley wrote:I tried clips, and didn't like them. I prefer just flat pedals and using normal all terrain type shoes. If you want the extra grip and pull of being locked in, wouldn't old style cages be just as convenient for touring, as they don't require special shoes?

Your choice, whatever you feel suits you best. But there is no way that old-fashioned toe-clips and straps of the type Riffraff has been using are "just as convenient". They cannot be released quickly in difficult situations, are difficult to enter particularly on hill starts, don't allow any float to protect the knees, and if tight enough to be effective are likely to cause foot numbness.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

by BNA » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:45 pm

BNA
 

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby spirito » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:45 pm

RonK wrote:
Riddley wrote:I tried clips, and didn't like them. I prefer just flat pedals and using normal all terrain type shoes. If you want the extra grip and pull of being locked in, wouldn't old style cages be just as convenient for touring, as they don't require special shoes?

Your choice, whatever you feel suits you best. But there is no way that old-fashioned toe-clips and straps of the type Riffraff has been using are "just as convenient". They cannot be released quickly in difficult situations, are difficult to enter particularly on hill starts, don't allow any float to protect the knees, and if tight enough to be effective are likely to cause foot numbness.


To counter I think that a platform pedal in combination with "half clips" work great and is a pretty easy set up for riding in regular (street) shoes/sneakers. Whether MKS Sylvan's or the GR9 platform they're easy to step into, offer plenty of "float", locate your foot as well as stop them from sliding off/forward if you hit a bump or rut. Even better if you can find a set of Lyotard "Marcel Berthet" MB23's or the copies of those made by White Industries. http://www.whiteind.com/pedal.html

Of course not for everyone but I think they're a neat alternative.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
User avatar
spirito
 
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:00 pm

Like I said, whatever you feel suits you best. Please keep the thread to the subject.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:38 pm

RonK wrote:I didn't make much progress with the build last weekend - I'd forgotten to buy a crown race installer. But Wiggle came to the rescue and had one to me in 4 days. Interestingly, the bargain-priced work stand I ordered from Torpedo 7 the day before still hasn't arrived. It would have been handy this weekend. Torpedo 7 today sent an customer satisfaction email asking for my feedback about the purchasing experience, and whilst I'm not (yet) particularly put out by the non-arrival of the stand, I will be making the comparison with the service provided by a merchant on the other side of the world.

First task is to install the headset cups. Notice the reflections of the lovely view from my 16th floor balcony. That is Mt Coot-Tha you see in the background.
Image

Then install the crown race, and using the cutting guide, cut the steerer to size.
Image

Finally, assemble the steerer, add handlebars, wheels, seatpost and saddle, and suddenly it's a bike.
Image

Titanium is chosen for its strength and light weight. The rationale is I'm here for a good time - not a long time. Another 10 years will see out my cycle touring career, and I want it to be as pleasant as possible. I've heard all the arguments, but have enough personal experience at bushwalking and high-altitude trekking to understand that I have no need or desire for an indestructible battle tank.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:30 pm

The Stronglight crankset is installed with the Bushnell eccentric bottom bracket housing and Shimano UN54 bottom bracket. With the chain and shift cables added it's now a rideable (but not yet stoppable) bike. I was pleasantly surprised to discover how easy it was to install and adjust the Bushnell EBB. Fitting the shifter revealed that Rohloff have changed to a new twist shifter with a round rather than triangular grip, and slightly different cable entry.

A couple of minor irrits were encountered along the way. The inner chainguard fouled the chainstay and had to be removed. I could have saved $10 and ordered the single chainguard version. And the chain - the singlespeed chain I ordered was too wide for the sprockets, so a quick trip to the lbs was required to get the right one. :oops:
Image
During the assembly I discovered that the Stronglight crankset is manufactured by Sugino, and it has XD2 forging marks on the back. 8)

Image

Now it's just a matter of installing and cabling the brakes, and then I'll be able to take a test ride before fitting all the accessories.
Last edited by RonK on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:42 pm

RonK wrote:the chain - the singlespeed chain I ordered was too wide for the sprockets, so a quick trip to the lbs was required to get the right one. :oops:

Its really taking shape quickly - much quicker than I anticipated:!:
The chain issue - how did this show up?
Where did you source the Ergon GC3's?
I'm surprised in your choice of flat bars after your Silk Route had drops :!:
A change being as good as a holiday?
Its looking really good :!:
Cheers
Aidan
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:30 pm

Well actually I should have made much more progress but I've had to take care of domestic chores and get in a ride and of course drink coffee and chew the fat for a while.

The chain problem was obvious - it rubbed on the chain guard and made an awful racket. The Ergon GC3 grips came fron Chain Reaction Cycles - $62 for the Rohloff/Nexus version.

In building this bike I'm challenging some of my long-held beliefs and biases. I've always insisted on drop bars, but never use the drops. Ultimately I think it's really "the look" that has driven my choices. It makes no sense. And I've disliked hub gears since the old Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs of my childhood. And fat tyres - well, really.

It's an interesting exercise to research and compare the bikes sold in Europe with those from the UK and US. Other than China, Europe is probably the world's biggest market for bicycles, but only racing bikes have drop bars there. There are a plethora of trekking bike models to choose from. All have flat bars and only entry-level models use derailleur gears. I would have bought one of these, but couldn't find a merchant who was willing to export one.

Notice the XT Trail pedals? They are definitely nicely proportioned in relation to the bike overall. Double-sided, good sized platform, just what I've been seeking for a long time.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:13 pm

RonK wrote:The chain problem was obvious - it rubbed on the chain guard and made an awful racket. The Ergon GC3 grips came fron Chain Reaction Cycles - $62 for the Rohloff/Nexus version.

In building this bike I'm challenging some of my long-held beliefs and biases. I've always insisted on drop bars, but never use the drops. Ultimately I think it's really "the look" that has driven my choices. It makes no sense. And I've disliked hub gears since the old Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs of my childhood. And fat tyres - well, really.

It's an interesting exercise to research and compare the bikes sold in Europe with those from the UK and US. Other than China, Europe is probably the world's biggest market for bicycles, but only racing bikes have drop bars there. There are a plethora of trekking bike models to choose from. All have flat bars and only entry-level models use derailleur gears. I would have bought one of these, but couldn't find a merchant who was willing to export one.

Notice the XT Trail pedals? They are definitely nicely proportioned in relation to the bike overall. Double-sided, good sized platform, just what I've been seeking for a long time.


I've just had to do away with my chainguard as the most cost effective way to improve my chainline.
I can now finally utilise all seven gears of my cassette for the first time in years.

I'm challenging some of my long-held beliefs and biases with the purchase of the shoes and pedals, however
certainly as you've pointed out they do wonders for the aesthetics and look very "right"!
Cant wait for mine to arrive.

Those Euro bikes look exceptionally well equipped but I prefer your second choice of the titanium framed Nicholas which
I suspect will be both lighter and more durable. Curious they wouldn't ship in this day and age of easy communication
and transportation.

Is the Eccentric BB about keeping the chain taunt without a derailleur?

Thanks for the heads up on CRC for the grips!

Oh and for stuff in Europe I suggest might you try Wouter Scholten:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/verkoo ... jf_en.html
Who I've found to sell on ebay and to "usually" answer promptly his emails
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Last night I installed the v-brakes, and this afternoon I got home early from the office Melbourne Cup function and ran the brake cables. So I just got back from my first ride, just a short one in the dark - about 5 kilometers. Except for a little brake squeal (the pads need some toe-in) everything performed flawlessly, and on first impressions the bike is going to be a real pleasure to ride. With luck I'll have the fenders, racks and lights installed by the weekend and get a good long ride in. But I think I'm going to exchange this hard new saddle for the almost broken in one on the Sabbath first.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:32 am

Hi Ron it's coming along nicely. Nothing quite like building up a new bike the way you want it. I'd be interested in its weight when fully built up too. BTW any reason why you didn't go the disc brake route?
Uncle Just
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Hi Ron it's coming along nicely. Nothing quite like building up a new bike the way you want it. I'd be interested in its weight when fully built up too. BTW any reason why you didn't go the disc brake route?

Justin, disc brakes weren't an option - the Van Nicholas frame and fork has only v-brake mounts. But I'm happy with v-brakes anyway and probably wouldn't have opted for discs even if there was a choice. I've fitted the SwissStop blue pads for CCS rims, and it was immediately noticeable just how much bite the Avid Single Digit SL brakes have with very little lever pressure - they truly are single-digit brakes. I didn't give the pads any toe-in at all in my rush to assemble and get a quick ride, so I'll make the final adjustments while I'm fitting the accessories.

I'm also tossing up whether to shorten the handlebars - at 600mm they are wider than I'd prefer, but being titanium I'm not sure how hard they will be to cut. I'd like to take 2 cm of each end to make them as narrow as possible - as far inboard as I can move the controls. And I've definitely decided to swap saddles.

I'll put it on the scales when all is done.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks Ron I thought the frame might only come with V brakes and the Avids seemingly work so well. Cutting Ti? I have no experience to offer only what I've read. Let us know how you go. Might need a special blade or several!
Uncle Just
 
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:54 pm

Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Well, I can report that titanium handlebars may be cut using a fine 32 tpi hacksaw. Using the steerer cutting guide resulted in neat, square cut. It's surprising how much narrower the bars seem with 20mm cut off each end.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Well - the bike is pretty much finished now except for the lights and wiring. Tomorrow will be its first real outing.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby CommuRider » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:49 pm

That is sexy. And cool. 8) Well done.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi Ron,
she's looking very smart indeed :!: :!: :!:
Green with envy :mrgreen:
A question about those nice looking grips you've put on.
My bars are very skinny being a model from 15 years ago - I looked on the Ergon website but couldnt find any relevant info on bar diameter sizing?
Did you spot anything about it in your research?
My bar appears to be 25.4 at the stem and 22.3 at the ends which I'm assuming is very "old school"
I'm bound to be looking at the wrong part of the website page.
Cheers
Aidan :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey RonK, the bike has certainly come up a treat. You'll have many miles of happy touring on it.

rifraf wrote:My bar appears to be 25.4 at the stem and 22.3 at the ends which I'm assuming is very "old school"

That is the standard bar dimension for MTB. You'll be fine with those Ergon grips :wink: . They are the most comfortable thing around on two wheels. I am quite happy riding the bike for long distances without the mitts using these grips. No discomfort, vibration or numbness.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:14 pm

il padrone wrote:Hey RonK, the bike has certainly come up a treat. You'll have many miles of happy touring on it.

rifraf wrote:My bar appears to be 25.4 at the stem and 22.3 at the ends which I'm assuming is very "old school"

That is the standard bar dimension for MTB. You'll be fine with those Ergon grips :wink: . They are the most comfortable thing around on two wheels. I am quite happy riding the bike for long distances without the mitts using these grips. No discomfort, vibration or numbness.


Thanks IP for the help.
I'll add them to my wishlist immediately.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:41 pm

il padrone wrote:They are the most comfortable thing around on two wheels. I am quite happy riding the bike for long distances without the mitts using these grips. No discomfort, vibration or numbness.


Do they make your palms sweaty riding without mitts?

Bugger - I've just discovered the GC3 is available with the cork grips. Oops - but not for Rohloff. Get these ones Rifraf.

BTW Rifraf - your didn't by any chance live anywhere near Richard O'Brien in NZ, did you?
Last edited by RonK on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:48 pm

No significant sweatiness so far, but I wasn't riding without mitts back in February on longer tours. For my commute it's never a real issue.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18383
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm

RonK wrote:Bugger - I've just discovered the GC3 is available with the cork grips. Oops - but not for Rohloff. Get these ones Rifraf.

BTW Rifraf - your didn't by any chance live anywhere near Richard O'Brien in NZ, did you?

What do you believe is the advantage of cork Ron?
I know the aesthetics are great but how bout the longevity as they arnt a cheap grip.
I share a common heritage with Richard but his name isn't ringing any bells of acquaintance.
Where might he reside in the "Land of the Great White Cloud" (Those early Polynesians wernt kidding when they named it) :D
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:47 pm

rifraf wrote:What do you believe is the advantage of cork Ron?
I know the aesthetics are great but how bout the longevity as they arnt a cheap grip.
I share a common heritage with Richard but his name isn't ringing any bells of acquaintance.
Where might he reside in the "Land of the Great White Cloud" (Those early Polynesians wernt kidding when they named it) :D

Well, I have used trekking poles with both rubber grips and cork grips, and found the rubber grips made my hands sweaty but the cork did not - hence my previous question to IP. It probably doesn't really matter as I'm not planning to ride without mitts anyway.

Richard O'Brien is the writer of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and plays Rifraf in the movie. He now resides in the Bay of Plenty town of Katikati. There is a statue in his honour at Hamilton. I believe he has since been granted NZ citizenship. Now do you understand why I asked?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:04 pm

RonK wrote:Well, I have used trekking poles with both rubber grips and cork grips, and found the rubber grips made my hands sweaty but the cork did not - hence my previous question to IP. It probably doesn't really matter as I'm not planning to ride without mitts anyway.

Richard O'Brien is the writer of the Rocky Horror Picture Show and plays Rifraf in the movie. He now resides in the Bay of Plenty town of Katikati. There is a statue in his honour at Hamilton. I believe he has since been granted NZ citizenship. Now do you understand why I asked?


Oh yes a great Kiwi favorite - lol.
No relation I'm afraid - My nick comes from an utterance from my Sister in Law after I came home to Australia last time daring to bring with me
a NZ citizenship and thus "XXXXX(profanity edited) Kiwi Riffraff, over time shortened to Rifraf or to those I'm close to Rif or Riffy.
My memorys not great but I have indeed seen the Hamilton statue and the movie.
I believe I have better hair than Richard whose has tended to need slightly less tending as times gone on. :D
http://www.riffraffstatue.org/page/riffraff_178.php
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
User avatar
rifraf
 
Posts: 2523
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:55 pm
Location: Two Rocks, WA

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Wow Ron that new build looks awesome you must be itching to get out there and give it it's first shake down and thanks for sharing the build.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Re: Van Nicholas Pioneer project...

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:24 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Wow Ron that new build looks awesome you must be itching to get out there and give it it's first shake down and thanks for sharing the build.

Ricky

Yes - the alarm is set for 5:30... :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5344
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Touring Australia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit