your Camera when touring?

WarrenH

Re: your Camera when touring?

Postby WarrenH » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm

My camera when touring works well enough ... but I don't underestimate the contribution made by the landscape and what slow riding makes for seeing images. It must be the landscape.

I've a Canon DSLR with some el-cheapo kit lenses, for touring. I don't ride far in a day or fast, which certainly helps for finding shots. If one has black line fever and the world's best camera but without good camera handling techniques ... they will still be the world's worst touring photographer. It isn't the camera that matters. Not one-iota.

Bimberi Peak in the Northern Alps from the Bicentennial National Trail at Fosters Hill. Shot taken this morning. There is much snow on Mount Bimberi (1911m). In 5 weeks time the trails across the Brindbellas will be open again.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:26 pm

"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm

WarrenH wrote:My camera when touring works well enough ... but I don't underestimate the contribution made by the landscape and what slow riding makes for seeing images. It must be the landscape.

I've a Canon DSLR with some el-cheapo kit lenses, for touring. I don't ride far in a day or fast, which certainly helps for finding shots. If one has black line fever and the world's best camera but without good camera handling techniques ... they will still be the world's worst touring photographer. It isn't the camera that matters. Not one-iota.

Bimberi Peak in the Northern Alps from the Bicentennial National Trail at Fosters Hill. Shot taken this morning. There is much snow on Mount Bimberi (1911m). In 5 weeks time the trails across the Brindbellas will be open again.

Warren.
Hi Warren,
I'm sure I'm one of the worlds worst photographers period.
I bought the dslr to have a better tool and not for better pics.
I find my Sony F717 and my slow reaction speed not the best for taking shots of birds.
As I enjoy pics of birds I decided to treat myself to the speed of a dslr over a P&S camera
although I wont be parting with the F717 as it has enabled me to grab some low light shots I've been proud of.
Although of 2002 vintage, the camera has a pivoting Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar 5X optical zoom lens (38-190mm equivalent) with F2.0 aperture
I'm still unable to fully utilise the F717 so am in for a huge learning curve with the dslr. :shock:
However I will say it has re-ignited my enthusiasm for taking pictures (bad or good) which is one of
the reasons I decided to grab it (D7000).
I'm looking forward to joining a camera club for its opportunities to meet others, learn my camera(s) as well
as honing the skills it takes to learn to take a decent photo.
I grabbed this example with the sony the other day and I enjoyed the experience of capturing something
so close before it flew away.
Its technically terrible and over exposed but I was thrilled with getting into the proximity of the bird
with my now old Sony F717 (circa 2002) :oops:
Unprocessed cept for a crop and resize (jpg)
Whilst nowhere near the standards of your fantastic shots, I've got to start somewhere.
Real fan of your work by the way :!:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:43 am

That's a beautiful photo, rifraf. :D

I'm also a fan of Warren's work :)

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 am

Max wrote:That's a beautiful photo, rifraf. :D

I'm also a fan of Warren's work :)

Max

----------
Thank you Max :D
I managed to grab that shot walking to the local shops.
I never usually manage to get close enough to get a pic but
was lucky that day.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:07 pm

RobertFrith wrote:I used to use an LX3 like RonK, I updated to the LX5 a couple of months ago. The only significant differences are the longer zoom range of the LX5 and the rationalisation of a couple of controls; both are great cameras. An f2 24mm equivalent Leica lens is matched with a durable body, sensible control placement, manual capability and RAW files.

A couple of weeks after my LX5 purchase Canon released the S100 which is the only real competitor. If you're interested in shooting RAW files on a small camera both of them are well worth checking out. If you're after something less expensive have a squizz at dpreview, still the best camera review site around.

The phones in cameras are just getting better and better as well. Here're a coupla pics I shot on my recent trip, the first with the LX5 (jpeg massaged in Filterstorm on the iPad), the second shot on an iPhone 3S and treated in Plastic Bullet:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40196473@N00/6207251647/
I am considering updating my LX3 to an LX7 or Sony RX100 (if a filter adapter becomes available).

The beautiful blue skies in my touring landscapes are achieved by using a polarizing filter to eliminate glare. So if the RX100 cannot be fitted with a filter it won't be much use to me.

Any experience with the RX100 Robert?

And Wassa, I couldn't agree more with your comments about the camera. My photography has improved immensely since I freed myself from the technical complexities of an SLR and allowed my eyes to focus on recognizing and composing interesting pictures.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WestcoastPete

Postby WestcoastPete » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:34 pm

I've used only my Samsung Galaxy S2 for a tour before, but decided to take my Olympus XZ-1 on my latest bike tour. The XZ-1 is a lot like the Panasonic LX5 I think. I bought the XZ-1 because of its beautiful bright lens and decent sized sensor compared to a true compact. I have a Panasonic G2 as well (micro 4/3), but even though it's small I find it too big for touring. I use a filter adapter on the XZ-1 so that I can use a polarizer and graduated neutral density filter. The adapter screws on and off easily, but most of the time I just left it on with my camera at the ready in my handlebar bag.

The XZ-1 recharges via USB using the camera. Usually, I prefer an external charger, but the XZ-1's system was fine on the road. I was able to charge it using my Dahon Biologic Reecharge powered by my dynamo hub. I carried a spare battery as well though, and only needed to charge on the bike once. I probably plugged it into a wall a couple of times too, not so much because it was flat, but just to have everything charged before I hit the road again.

To start with I used my phone a lot on the tour, but I eventually started relying solely on the camera. The process became me taking photos for the day on the camera, with the images being saved onto a microSD card using a microSD to SD adapter. Then I'd put the microSD card into the phone, taking the microSD card that was already in the phone and putting it into the camera for the next day's photos. Then I would write a journal entry on the phone using Swypeand attach the photos from the SD card (with a resizing process as well).

Here is a link to a tour I did where I only took my phone. I'm actually very happy with the results. The photos might not all be that great, but I think it's done a great job at creating a document that gives you an idea of what the trip was like.

Here's a link to my latest tour. I used my phone for the most part when I started, but if you flick to some of the later pages you'll see that I used the XZ-1 more. I also got addicted to the panorama function, which may or may not be a good thing (I haven't been through the journal on a compter yet), but even though the joins might not be that perfect, they still give a good idea of what I was experiencing.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 pm

I've been mightily impressed by the new Sony DSC RX100. So much so that I have pressed the big red button.

Now I'm just waiting for the Carry Speed MagFilter circular polarising filter to go on sale.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:30 pm

A smaller camera is great on the tour.
I found my large point and shoot camera (sony f717) too big for my handlebar bag and so relegated to the trailer
which made it a pain to bring out.
Not sure what I'll do with the DSLR as it is (for me) way quicker at getting motion/action shots which is something
I missed with the sony.
I'm currently trialing a small camera specific backpack/sling (lowepro slingshot 200AW) to
carry it around on my bike.
Undecided as yet as to whether I'd like to carry it this way whilst touring as I'm not keen on
a hydration pack for all day riding so I've not much hope for this solution.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:43 pm

RonK wrote:I've been mightily impressed by the new Sony DSC RX100. So much so that I have pressed the big red button.
[/img]
Good one Ron,
heres hoping you'll table your thoughts on the camera once its arrived and you've had it in the field.
Who did you choose to supply it?

I've just pressed the button on a 35mm F1.8 prime lens from DWI (dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp)
as I figured their Ebay feedback was better than many others of the Hong Kong connection.
So far I can say its been speedily dispatched and I've been able to follow its trek via tracking to NSW.
I'm expecting it on the 3rd.

Now I was given a circular polariser for my Sony camera but have never used it because I've not been
sure as to the hows and when.....
Care to explain?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:42 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:I've been mightily impressed by the new Sony DSC RX100. So much so that I have pressed the big red button.
[/img]
Good one Ron,
heres hoping you'll table your thoughts on the camera once its arrived and you've had it in the field.
Who did you choose to supply it?

I've just pressed the button on a 35mm F1.8 prime lens from DWI (dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp)
as I figured their Ebay feedback was better than many others of the Hong Kong connection.
So far I can say its been speedily dispatched and I've been able to follow its trek via tracking to NSW.
I'm expecting it on the 3rd.

Now I was given a circular polariser for my Sony camera but have never used it because I've not been
sure as to the hows and when.....
Care to explain?
I'll be posting pics to my Gone Fishin' tour of New Zealand journal and album in a few weeks time.

I've long ago dispensed with my SLR, which was more of an encumbrance than anything. I prefer the convenience of a top-of-the-range compact camera, especially for travel photography (which is pretty much it for me). The RX100 has only recently gone to market, so not much discounting happening yet. Best price I could get locally was from Kogan. O/S prices were no cheaper after freight was added.

The Carry Speed Magfilter CPL went on sale overnight, and I've ordered immediately. The magnetic attachment is a great innovation, since most point and shoot cameras don't have a threaded barrel. The Lumix LX3 requires a filter adapter tube which fits over the lens barrel and increases the size of the camera (there's a pic in a previous post on this thread) even when the lens is retracted. But this one sticks to the end of the barrel and doesn't increase the camera size at all.

Like polarising sunglasses, polarising filters reduce the glare from reflections, and are particularly useful for landscape photography. They reduce the glare from the sky or from water, and stop reflections when shooting through windows. That's why my landscapes have such deep blue skies and lakes. A CPL really is a must-have for landscape photography, and I wouldn't have bought the RX100 if one wasn't available.
When fitted to the lens, simply rotate the polariser until the best sky or water tones are acheived.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 pm

Some interesting possibilities for secure camera storage in a new bar-bag from Ortlieb, p. 119 on this Eurobike catalogue. Transparent lid, lockable lid, plus lockable to the bar-mount.
Ultimate6 Pro - Handle bar bag with stable transparent lid
Touring handle bar bag with transparent lid for use with GPS or Smartphone
technology, touch screen operated through lid, lockable magnetic lid closure,
lockable mounting system, front mesh pocket, padded Velcro positionable
subdivisions, base loops for equipment fixing, shoulder strap & reflector. Bag
fits onto KLICKfix mounting.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 am

Just thought it might be pertinent to offer, my order from DWI cameras (from which I've offered the occasional link)
of a 35mm f1.8 lens for my new Nikon D7000 camera arrived today.
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp#
Prompt dispatch and delivery.
No issues to report.
I'll be using them again. :D

On another note, anyone considering a printer to be able to print off their own A4 pics might think about
a Canon MG6250
http://www.canon.com.au/For-You/Printer ... ers/MG6250
I've just ordered one from officeworks.com.au as its on special for $197 currently.
Lots of mostly positive reviews online.
Its a multifunction so you can scan your receipts before they fade so much they are unreadable.
Great for warranty stuff hopefully.
I think JB HiFi currently want $269 for these. :shock:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:06 pm

For anyone in WA with a Sony RZ100 who fancies a magnetic polarising filter, I spotted this ad on gumtree:

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/thornlie ... 1006520259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or a brand new Sony RX100 Leather skin kit

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/thornlie ... 1006529824" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I dont know anything about the seller or the goods but thought it may be some help to an owner of such
a camera.

elStado

Postby elStado » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:57 am

For me, GoPro HD Hero 2. As long as it's sunny you're all good. Low light or at night time, forget about it.

Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:21 pm

I am happy with my Olympus XZ-1. Just need to work on my photography skills. Here a couple of shots from it:

Dalgety Downs Station - Murchision

and from this week's ride of the Waterous Trail

Andrew
Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:50 pm

elStado wrote:For me, GoPro HD Hero 2. As long as it's sunny you're all good
Not so good in flatter landscapes. That fish-eye lens loses any scenic features.

Just bought the Lumix TZ30 and it seems very good. It has their Leica lens and the 20x optical zoom makes it a real 'spycam'. Has GPS locations for your photos as well. I'm just spitting chips that I paid a shed-load more than what I could have bought it for on-line :(

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:31 pm

il padrone wrote:
Just bought the Lumix TZ30 and it seems very good. It has their Leica lens and the 20x optical zoom makes it a real 'spycam'. Has GPS locations for your photos as well. I'm just spitting chips that I paid a shed-load more than what I could have bought it for on-line :(
You can at least take pics here and now whilst hesitating and looking for the ultimately cheapest purchase price
could have had you cameraless for ages.
I bought my DSLR from JBHIFI at a much larger price than online but getting my hot little hands on it on the day
(instead of standing beside the mailbox) has a lot going for it.
Also being able to take it straight to the purchase place if warranty was needed, I decided, meant a lot to me.
I'm buying my accessories/lenses etc online, as in the meantime I can snap away with what I've got whilst I learn
the ropes and decide what else I think I need.
Your choice looks like just the ticket for your bar bag.
Cheers
Aidan :D

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:40 pm

rifraf wrote:You can at least take pics here and now whilst hesitating and looking for the ultimately cheapest purchase price
could have had you cameraless for ages.
I was not camera-less, but just realised the old camera was getting a bit tired, and there was a question about where my charger had got to. The new camera just had marvellous features that swayed me.

rifraf wrote:Also being able to take it straight to the purchase place if warranty was needed, I decided, meant a lot to me.
Not such an advantage there as I bought it in Alice Springs :o :oops: . But it was Camera House and they have stores in Melbourne so maybe any issues could be dealt with there. Warranty is 12 months I think and I've never had any camera give me problems in this time period.

Cheers
Pete
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Interesting news maybe for you Ronk.
TIME Magazine has included the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 in its list of the 50 'best inventions' of 2012. TIME's Techland's blog called the RX100 a 'huge leap' in the trend towards smaller and more capable digital cameras, thanks to its 'innovative design and 1-in sensor'. The list of 50 inventions is organized by cost, from 'priceless' up to '2.5 billion' and also includes self-inflating tires, the Curiosity Mars rover, and LiquiGlide, a microscopic non-slip coating.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/11/02 ... gn=generic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:06 am

rifraf wrote:Interesting news maybe for you Ronk.
TIME Magazine has included the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 in its list of the 50 'best inventions' of 2012. TIME's Techland's blog called the RX100 a 'huge leap' in the trend towards smaller and more capable digital cameras, thanks to its 'innovative design and 1-in sensor'.
Yeah, I could have told 'em it's a bloody good camera.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:19 pm

"My camera when touring?"

For my most recent tour (Canberra to Melbourne by backroads) I bit a financial bullet and bought a Canon Powershot G1 X.
It's a solid, nuggety little thing. The sensor is not quite SLR sized, but it is big and is very capable in low light.
As with every camera I have owned, I took some rubbish shots and I fluked some good shots with the G1 X on tour.
Overall I think it enhanced my limited ability to take good photos.
The single best thing I like about this camera is the manual, dial nob control of exposure. Just like the good old days, there is a knurled button to turn to instantly change the amount of light getting in. Really good for the situations which happen often where you want to either over- or under- expose by a stop or two. With the G1-X you do not have to use screen-based info., just twist the dial. Easy and quick.

The only real negative is the poor macro. And the cost. It is exxy for a compact camera.

And it did not help me take photos of the high country anywhere near the quality of Warren's :)

If CGOAB ever gets re-started, on that site under the Reviews, I have put a more detailed summary of what I think of the
Canon Powershot G1 X.

In a nutshell, not perfect (what camera is?) but I would highly recommend it as a top-end cycle-touring camera. Very robust and it is a fully capable (close to SLR specs) solid-compact camera.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:08 pm

And as mentioned above, the review I put on the CGOAB about the Canon G1X is here:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/ ... ted=0&v=1l" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Includes sample pics and links to other reviews.