Extrawheel

rifraf

Re: Extrawheel

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Tandem wrote:
rifraf wrote:
Tandem wrote:

What size wheels are you rolling on your bike and trailer?
26x 2.10
My trailers mudguard issue wasn't the width, so much as the height of the 700c tire.
I could jam it in the dropouts but even with the fender extended to the extreme ends of its stays, the wheel was unable to rotate with either my 2.00 Mondials or Supremes (with the fender installed).

I've a 2.35 Big Apple tire in there currently but it wasnt part of the mudguard experiment.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:03 pm

Hey rifraf,

Why don't you just ditch the mudguards for another brand such as Planet Bike, the arms supporting the rear guard attach in a higher position so that might help?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:29 am

rifraf wrote:I've a 2.35 Big Apple tire in there currently but it wasnt part of the mudguard experiment.
I've never exhausted a Big Apple tyre.
All these hassles with the Extrawheel that maybe an Extracycle freeradical would have better for?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:50 am

Wingnut wrote:Hey rifraf,

Why don't you just ditch the mudguards for another brand such as Planet Bike, the arms supporting the rear guard attach in a higher position so that might help?
Well I'm a fan of shiny stainless mudguards and not plastics.
That said if I want to utilise the Extrawheel, I'm either going to have to go fenderless, move the stays or indeed swap the Berthouds for plastics.
Not what I was hoping or had in mind when I built up my bike.
I bought the trailer with what was supposedly an oversized 29er set of forks.
They dont appear to me to be particularly oversized and could benefit from being a little longer and wider.
They utilise a fender on their trailer design, but don't allow for a fairly common (for metal fenders) stay position on the towing bicycle (in 29er size).
Its not the end of the world but I'm a little sick of the constant compromises needed with the bike I've chosen.
The joys of not having had the benefit of a proven formula and heading into unproven territory I guess is coming back to haunt me.
Oh well, at least readers of the forum can benefit from the knowledge and choose accordingly.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:28 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:
rifraf wrote:I've a 2.35 Big Apple tire in there currently but it wasnt part of the mudguard experiment.
I've never exhausted a Big Apple tyre.
All these hassles with the Extrawheel that maybe an Extracycle freeradical would have better for?
The Extracycle doesnt press my buttons, useful and utilitarian as it appears.

I love what the Big Apples do for the aesthetic appeal to my Ogre but their weight makes them ponderous in use on the undulating roads in my locale.
The Supreme in 50-622 is much easier to push uphill so usurped my initial foray into fat tires in 700c flavor.
On multi-surfaced tours, I went with the Mondials for their superior puncture protection and semi-agressive tread.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 am

Rifraf,

I was reading a blog last night by someone who tried your trailer and it was advised that fat 29" tyres, mudguards and Extrawheels don't work with regards to clearance...basically it advised to remove the mudguards :(

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri May 02, 2014 5:17 pm

Wingnut wrote:Rifraf,

I was reading a blog last night by someone who tried your trailer and it was advised that fat 29" tyres, mudguards and Extrawheels don't work with regards to clearance...basically it advised to remove the mudguards :(
G'day Wingnut,
I'm looking at a trip to Dunsborough next week.
The bike shop down there was so good I want to make it my local despite it being 255km away.
They said they know someone to weld the stay on my front rack for me.
I need the fork crown stay on my Velo Orange stainless rack moved.
I'll get their second opinion on whether or not moving the mudguard stay further up the fender might work or not.
If not, so be it.
I've seen a pic of GJ Coops bike with front fender only so I might have to follow yet another of his trends.
Have you got a link to the blog for other tips?
Always keen to learn from others experience :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue May 20, 2014 2:18 pm

I"ve just moved my fender stays upwards in my first attempt to get by the impasse of my trailer forks and fender stays being too close:

The next drama will be to machine off each of the top bottle openers on each tuggnut in order to utilise the Ogres dropout 10x1mm trailer mount holes.

Oh and the Extrawheel QR skewer broke on my second attempt to tighten it. :evil:
Not impressed with it at all so am unlikely to persue Extrawheel over it.
I'll get a pic up hopefully today to show where it broke and explain further why I'm generally unimpressed with its functionality. :|

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue May 27, 2014 3:38 pm

rifraf wrote: Have you got a link to the blog for other tips?
Always keen to learn from others experience :)
I can't seem to find the review that mentioned it but here's one I do remember seeing that was favourable...

http://www.whileoutriding.com/gear-revi ... extrawheel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:30 pm

I got a dremel like tool and ground off the uppermost "bottle openers" of the tugnutz.
This has enabled me a flush tightening of the extrawheels trailer nuts.
I've emailed Extrawheel to let them know of the skewer failure but Ive told them i don't want a replacement as Ive no confidence in the design of the QR for use with IGH or at least Rohloff in particular, especially with horizontal dropouts.
I've made use of the frames 10 x 1 mm (pitch) threaded holes in the dropouts.
Before a long trial, my next tour northward, I want to get some thread tape to wrap the threaded rod used.
I say threaded rod which was really some bolts I cut the heads off with the same tool I used on the tugnutz.
One side was a firmer fit in said dropouts than the other as I started to wind them in.
Once done up they feel tight but I'll undo them and add a bit of thread tape to the side that caught my attention as well as some lock tight to both.
I'll try for tomorrow for pics of both the QR skewer and mounted trailer nuts.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:30 pm

Rifraf was there not enough room to leave the bolt heads on as I thought the heads would stop the bolts from winding out of the hole and also make it easier to remove the bolts if need?
My ogre has just arrived and are collecting the parts to build it up.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:00 pm

If I've done it right should show the Extrawheels new articulation gained from raising the mudguard stay upwards where it attaches to the guard.
I've gained approx 13 inches in upward articulation by having moved the stay and I'm hopeful its enough - comments, theories welcomed.

I'm trying to do this with a Mac computer and its a different process to what I'm used to having previously only used Windows machines.
It appears with my Macbook that I have to import pics from my camera before I can add them to photo bucket which makes for a longer process.
I won't go on about how the resizing is different and currently has me completely baffled and how adding the IMG link must first be copied to notes before I can command C and V (copy and paste) them.

I'm hoping this pics shows the customised tug nut minus its uppermost "bottle opener", as well as the position the trailer nut is now in. :?
I had to customise a tugnut on the drive side of the frame the same as well.
Last edited by rifraf on Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm

brokenbus wrote:Rifraf was there not enough room to leave the bolt heads on as I thought the heads would stop the bolts from winding out of the hole and also make it easier to remove the bolts if need?
My ogre has just arrived and are collecting the parts to build it up.
G'day Brokenbus,
my experience is with my Rohloff and with this IGH hub there isn't enough room to leave the bolt heads on.
I tried leaving them on but then could not get the wheel into the dropouts.
It took me a few minutes to work out what the problem was but yeah it was the bolt heads.
Shame as it would have made for a much easier job otherwise.
A different hub might not have the same issue. :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:19 pm

rifraf wrote:It appears with my Macbook that I have to import pics from my camera before I can add them to photo bucket which makes for a longer process.
Your Mac should be seeing your camera as a drive and hence drag and drop/importing should be straight forward. If it isn't you might want to check your drivers and/or make sure you are actually connecting the camera properly or that the camera is actually Mac compatible. Some Canons IIRC where not. Often I simply pull the card from the camera and insert into the Mac's card reader and import from that (saves me finding the camera's cable :))
I won't go on about how the resizing is different
Don't understand this issue ... this is your application at work, not the Mac OS. The Mac will import the photos at whatever image size you have them captured on your camera.
currently has me completely baffled and how adding the IMG link must first be copied to notes before I can command C and V (copy and paste) them
I just right click like you do in Windows [you need to setup your mouse up properly in System Preferences and oh I use a Magic mouse but you can easily use a WIndows mouse) ... works fine for me but again some browsers/website (or apps) combinations can cause problems, e.g., Blackboard which is an website/application I use at work causes me problems at times.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi Andrew,
no probs with my computer seeing my camera and no problems importing pics.
Thing is I didn't want to download them first on the Macbook as I only wanted them on photo bucket.
With my camera connected and switched on, photo bucket couldn't see it to transfer the pics.
I just picked up a magic mouse but have yet to set it up.
I scored a mac blue tooth keyboard, the magic mouse and a macbook superdrive (disk drive) slightly less than half new price from someone on Overclockers.com.au so I'm light in the pocket but happy this week.
Its all good, I'll make a trip to Apple in town this week and ask for a demo on sizing etc.
Its just that the drop down menu options and terminology differences, I'm sure causing my confusion in this regard.
Trying to copy the photo bucket img web address to paste in here wasn't working with the shown to me method of blue out and command C.
I had to drag the address on to an open page of "Notes" first before the above method would work.
Fine once I'd worked out the way but I've spent a heap of time on something that would normally take me a few moments.

Trying to cut and paste from your "Chasing the Dirt - Freemantle to Geraldton Bicycle Tour Notes" has proved problematic too.
Being low on ink, I didn't want the pics but merely selected text paragraphs to aid with my tour planning i.e.. roads and accommodation options.
Some sections had no issue but others seemed to "grab" sections of white background with black text, instead of simply grabbing blocks of text.
So to try to explain it, if I tried to print (I haven't tried), I'd be expecting a background to the blocks of texts also being printed on the page, if that makes any sense.

I decided to try to add my pics here after becoming frustrated trying to cut and paste text so now about to go for a ride before computers give me a heart attack.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:15 pm

rifraf wrote:Hi Andrew,
no probs with my computer seeing my camera and no problems importing pics.
Thing is I didn't want to download them first on the Macbook as I only wanted them on photo bucket.
With my camera connected and switched on, photo bucket couldn't see it to transfer the pics.
I just picked up a magic mouse but have yet to set it up.
I scored a mac blue tooth keyboard, the magic mouse and a macbook superdrive (disk drive) slightly less than half new price from someone on Overclockers.com.au so I'm light in the pocket but happy this week.
Its all good, I'll make a trip to Apple in town this week and ask for a demo on sizing etc.
Its just that the drop down menu options and terminology differences, I'm sure causing my confusion in this regard.
Trying to copy the photo bucket img web address to paste in here wasn't working with the shown to me method of blue out and command C.
I had to drag the address on to an open page of "Notes" first before the above method would work.
Fine once I'd worked out the way but I've spent a heap of time on something that would normally take me a few moments.

Trying to cut and paste from your "Chasing the Dirt - Freemantle to Geraldton Bicycle Tour Notes" has proved problematic too.
Being low on ink, I didn't want the pics but merely selected text paragraphs to aid with my tour planning i.e.. roads and accommodation options.
Some sections had no issue but others seemed to "grab" sections of white background with black text, instead of simply grabbing blocks of text.
So to try to explain it, if I tried to print (I haven't tried), I'd be expecting a background to the blocks of texts also being printed on the page, if that makes any sense.

I decided to try to add my pics here after becoming frustrated trying to cut and paste text so now about to go for a ride before computers give me a heart attack.
This sounds really odd. What version of the Mac OS have you got installed? Can you reinstall or at least update it?

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:27 pm

OS X 10.9.3
I think its called Mavericks with all updates.
Its my first Mac so theres bound to be some confusion for me after using Windows for many years.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Funny, I'm so used to Mac nowadays that PC's feel backwards...