Extrawheel

Aushiker

Extrawheel

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:09 am

G'day

The discussion in this thread about the Extrawheel has got me thinking .... (anyone want to buy a BoB Ibex? :)).

However I use my BoB behind two different bikes: a mountain bike with 26" wheel and my Surly Long Haul Trucker with 700c wheels. My question is therefore can I use the same Extrawheel with both bikes with or without swapping out the wheel?

Also any suggestions on where to go for a good deal on the Extrawheel sans wheel. I will have a spare front wheel of the Surly for starters.

Of course I then need another set of panniers and I loose the water carrying capacity from the BoB so will need another water carry ... maybe too pricey to change over.

Andrew

il padrone

Re: Extrawheel

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:22 am

You can run whatever wheel size you want in the Extrawheel - down to 20", up to 700C. There is no rule that says you must use the exact same size as your bike. I bought my Extrawheel from Buff Australia for $330.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:50 am

il padrone wrote:You can run whatever wheel size you want in the Extrawheel - down to 20", up to 700C. There is no rule that says you must use the exact same size as your bike. I bought my Extrawheel from Buff Australia for $330.
Buff's price is competitive for sure.

My BoB is for sale :) Rash decision I know :) But I like the idea of being able to fly easier with the Extrawheel.

Another question ... is the tyre choice that critical? I guess matching it with the bike is the smart idea.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:01 am

It really doesn't matter what tyre you use on the Extrawheel. For simplicity of use and spares it is better to have the same size as your bike - it means only one size of spare tubes are required, and the theory is that in a dire emergency you could use the wheel as a replacement for a busted bike front wheel. Some of the guys who've ridden the CSR and done other extreme expeditions using Pugsleys have carried a front wheel which has a single fixed sprocket (to replace the rear), for the same reason. The Pugsley has the same OLN spacing front and rear to facilitate this.

If I was going bush I'd carry a reasonable width tyre, similar to the bike, to reduce any bogging in by the trailer.
Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 am

Aushiker wrote:I like the idea of being able to fly easier with the Extrawheel.
Yes, this is an often overlooked advantage of the Extrawheel - for air travel it will fit in the same bike box as the bike.

I noticed that Wazza has constructed an additional rack across the top of his Extrawheel to add a little load capacity.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Extra gear on the Extrawheel - he's rigged up a normal rear rack on it to be able to carry four Ortlieb panniers :shock: (See here at 5:58)

Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:17 pm

Yes. Looked there. Pretty much the same price as buying local which is nice for a change :)

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Yes. Looked there. Pretty much the same price as buying local which is nice for a change :)

Andrew
I was just in the process of deleting the post before you responded - postage kills it :(

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 pm

il padrone wrote:Extra gear on the Extrawheel - he's rigged up a normal rear rack on it to be able to carry four Ortlieb panniers :shock:
The extra rack was indeed impressive but the I really liked the size of the other bikes trailer bags.
They looked almost like Ortlieb rack pack travel bags - http://www.this link is broken/ortlieb-rack-pa ... -31-litre/
Was anyone able to make out what the black bags were?
Nice and large looking!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:16 pm

rifraf wrote:The extra rack was indeed impressive but the I really liked the size of the other bikes trailer bags.
They looked almost like Ortlieb rack pack travel bags - http://www.this link is broken/ortlieb-rack-pa ... -31-litre/
That they are - rack bags held on with cordura webbing straps through the brackets in the top of the Extrawheel's rack.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:35 am

Well thanks to my recumbent hunt I went to terracycles website and found this ExtraWheel Monster
Price is exxy tho but the carrying capacity is, well do you want to carry a ladder :lol:
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi

BOB Ibex now sold so will be ordering a Extrawheel now. Hopefully it works out as being a smart move :)

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Congratulations on the quick sale Andrew.
Cant wait for your full report on the new addition to the family - the Extrawheel :!:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:05 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Well thanks to my recumbent hunt I went to terracycles website and found this ExtraWheel Monster
Price is exxy tho but the carrying capacity is, well do you want to carry a ladder :lol:
Drool :!:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:10 pm

You'll need a B-Double licence to ride with that thing BZ

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm

:o These things are good. They work. It took me a while to learn how to ride steadily, to slow down, to not flick the stead and how to park one ... properly.

On the first day that I took the tralier into the ranges (into the Brindies), I lost it 13 times, on the first day ... I didn't stack my bike once, I just lost the trailer every 5 minutes. It took me about 5 solid weeks of touring (off-road) to learn to focus and choose the right tyres for the conditions. To look and think well ahead for the trailor. If you go seriously off-road (like-steepishly-like) not on that flat stuff out west, so that the trailer doesn't over take you going DH ... fit a Fat Albert or my favourite, for the really steep stuff, a Maxxis Rendez. The Rendez is a fantastic tire for fine pebbles over a hard pack, which is most of the Great Dividing Range in NSW/ACT.

I'm doing a tour at the moment ... out towards Yass and Burinjuck way. I have returned home to re-stack the electricity. I youst to like the olden-days more, when the most advanced thing that I ever took on a tour was was Singer chain oil or Swiss chocolate.

Two images from the last few days, linking Mountain Creek to Cavan. See the road, far centre? ... it took 1/2 a day to get up the hill from the 'bidgee only 8 ks away. Don't believe all the goss about trailers making it easy carrying the weight ... going uphill.

These trailers are classy looking ... compared to the Bobs. Being all about image nowadays, matters hey? ... that's why I ride back tracks where no one sees me. The farmers are fascinated by the trailer ... they always think that I'm struggling and offer me lifts. They're right. They only offer me lifts to check out the trailer ... this is proving to be a big success.

Fair tail winds.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 15 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:39 pm

A few shots on the 'bidgee.

I only use the trailer to carry food and bike spares. On top I perch a tent on the port side and carry a tripod on starboard.

Warren.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm

rifraf wrote:Congratulations on the quick sale Andrew.
Cant wait for your full report on the new addition to the family - the Extrawheel :!:
Well nothing ordered yet. Waiting on Buff to reply to an email ...

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Warren,
as usual love the pics.
Tell me (please), have you noticed your rear frame bushes/bearings wearing much faster than usual
towing the trailer?
My frame has rear suspension and its quite light duty so I'm wondering just how
detrimental to the pivot bearing the towings likely to be.
Cheers
Aidan :D

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:18 pm

rifraf wrote: ... have you noticed your rear frame bushes/bearings wearing much faster than usual.
Rif, G'day Mate. I'm pleased that you like the shots. You must find time to make it down or up (?) this way. There is a lot of fine rural country not often ridden around here.

The Giant Aluxx SL frame has been amazingly sturdy and the Maestro 4" suspension components appear to be as equally fine. They're well beyond what I originally thought would be reliably resilient, when hauling the trailer. I'm not an impulsive rider. I don't flog the bike or take chances or ride for distance figures but on the Divide those scenarios are created by default. I've done 5 trips with the trailer now, in pretty rough country on the Divide and the bike remains perfect (fingers crossed of course). When I saw how these frames were being thrashed during the UCI World Championships at Stromlo, I just had to have one. Hauling the trailer has proved to be nothing to this frame ... I wonder if Giant ever envisaged one of their XC racing bikes being a first class pack horse.

What makes the Voyager Solo special is, that with a good off-road rim and quality UST tyre (or equivalent), the Voyager Solo is something like 5kg lighter than the Bob Yak, and as much as 9+kg lighter than the Bob Ibex. That means nothing on the flat, but going up a hill trying to avoid these giant muvvus below, out on the back tracks ... every bit off helps.

The same narrow bridge on the 'bidgee. It was a bit narrowish but I heard the truck coming. Learn to make diving off into the grass your friend, :roll: ... then grab the camera.

I should have mentioned this earlier, if obtaining an Extrawheel Voyage Solo and the wheel is being purchased separately. If you don't already know this? If you are running disk brakes, it isn't likely that the disk hub will fit within the Voyager Solo frame without modification, that's with out the brake disk. So you are not carrying a fully functioning spare wheel if you are running disk brakes. With calliper style brakes all is fine of course.

The wheel that I have for the Extrawheel Voyager Solo has a WTB LaserDisk Lite hub and a WTB LaserDisk XC 19-559/537ERD 25mm wide rim with a DT Swiss skewer. I modified both the Extrawheel frame and the LaserDisk Lite hub to fit.

Whoever invents an instantly detachable brake line (like a split brake on a BMX type setup) I'll be their first customer for sure. Coming down steep dirt at times I've slowed down and have seen the Extrawheel beside me. A rear-rear brake would be a big help. In the Extrawheel adds, I've read that all three wheels working with the same spinning forces are in dynamic unison ... well perhaps not always. Obviously who wrote that hasn't been to Davis Sugarloaf near Cavan or on the appropriately named Nutters Hill.

Warren.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:01 am

It took a few days to determine the best way to carry the gear. when I first bought the trailer. I started off carrying the extra gear athwart and then changed to carrying the extra stuff parallel to the centre line. I installed adjustable webbing through the eyes on the top of the rack.

In both of the shots in this post the Extrawheel has a Larson TT. When I changed the Larson TT to a Rendez the trailer became more inclined to follow the bike, down mountains.

Warren.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi

Picked up my Extrawheel Voyager from the Post Office this morning. It came from Buff Australia ...

That's all for now :) Will post more details/photos once I get a chance to finish unpacking it all and put it together.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 am

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:38 pm