Extrawheel

Cheesewheel

Re: Extrawheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:36 pm

any idea what set up they have to harness the big bags on the side with webbing like they do here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ijnEr1kn98
Go!Run!GAH!

RonK

Extrawheel

Postby RonK » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:any idea what set up they have to harness the big bags on the side with webbing like they do here?
That video is well and truly out-of-date. The current Extrawheel has quite conventional pannier carriers.
On the original version the bags were simply slung in nets either side.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:16 am

Cheesewheel wrote:any idea what set up they have to harness the big bags on the side with webbing like they do here?
The changes to the Extrawheel's design were brought about because the webbing had a tendency to catch on vegetation and rocks and the thin fiberglass rods that kept the covering away from the spokes, regularly failed. These rods were upgraded but now like the covering, they have been removed completely. With fewer bits, to go wrong, these early problems have been well sorted.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:08 pm

For anyone interested, I have fitted an Extrawheel Voyager Upper Rack to my Voyager. Will see how it goes from next week.

Andrew

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Aushiker wrote:For anyone interested, I have fitted an Extrawheel Voyager Upper Rack to my Voyager. Will see how it goes from next week.

Andrew
Is this the top rack that fits the old style (pre may 2012 I think, from memory from their website) or the new style?

From what I understand the newer model extra wheel is better designed to house the top rack. I've got the older style one and even though I have been seriously thinking about getting this top rack I have concerns that it will rattle loose due to the inevitable drawbacks of retro-fitting design.
Go!Run!GAH!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:16 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Is this the top rack that fits the old style (pre may 2012 I think, from memory from their website) or the new style?

From what I understand the newer model extra wheel is better designed to house the top rack. I've got the older style one and even though I have been seriously thinking about getting this top rack I have concerns that it will rattle loose due to the inevitable drawbacks of retro-fitting design.
I have the Voyager which I purchased in 2011 and it takes panniers. As far as I know the old model was the one with the slings on the side and that was changed to the Voyager some time back. I have no idea about a 2012 model and cannot find anything suggesting same on the Extrawheel website.

As to the Upper Rack it fits my Voyager fine as per the photos.

From the website it states:

Upper Rack Extrawheel is dedicated to company’s trailers and provides additional room for luggage. It can carry equipment up to 5 kg. You can transport accessories which are larger and won’t fit bike panniers ex: sleeping bags, foam pads, tents. Easy assembly to the trailer.

Regards
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Andrew that added rack you placed on the extra wheel is a great idea well worth the investment in my opinion just to give more options .

Not long to go now mate you must be getting less sleep each night thinking about this big trip as the hours count down :D

Ricky

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:Is this the top rack that fits the old style (pre may 2012 I think, from memory from their website) or the new style?

I have the Voyager which I purchased in 2011 and it takes panniers. As far as I know the old model was the one with the slings on the side and that was changed to the Voyager some time back. I have no idea about a 2012 model and cannot find anything suggesting same on the Extrawheel website.

As to the Upper Rack it fits my Voyager fine as per the photos.

From the website it states:

Upper Rack Extrawheel is dedicated to company’s trailers and provides additional room for luggage. It can carry equipment up to 5 kg. You can transport accessories which are larger and won’t fit bike panniers ex: sleeping bags, foam pads, tents. Easy assembly to the trailer.

Regards
Andrew
Sorry just to set things straight - when I asked the q about the slings I didn't realize it was an older model. I have the regular pannier style extra wheel but if you look at the link for the top carrier rack ....

http://www.extrawheelshop.com/en/upper- ... wheel.html

... you see that it has a drop window menu option for pre and post may 2012 pannier style extra wheel

I'm guessing that the newer post may 2012 extra-wheel better accommodates the top rack (since it warrants some sort of difference when ordering the top rack)
Go!Run!GAH!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:54 pm

Cheesewheel wrote: http://www.extrawheelshop.com/en/upper- ... wheel.html

... you see that it has a drop window menu option for pre and post may 2012 pannier style extra wheel

I'm guessing that the newer post may 2012 extra-wheel better accommodates the top rack (since it warrants some sort of difference when ordering the top rack)
No idea. Suggest you contact Extrawheel for an explanation. When I ordered both my rack and the one James is now using I just got them from http://www.biketrailershop.com/ and there was no option. I haven't heard of any issues from James with his one so far. Mind you he is on the Gibb River Road at the moment. I guess that will test it somewhat :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:57 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Andrew that added rack you placed on the extra wheel is a great idea well worth the investment in my opinion just to give more options .
I hope so. My tent fits it nicely so will probably use it for that. This way the spare tyre can go on the rack. WIth the tyre on the rack it is easy to get the panniers on an off. No spreading over the edges of the rack. My only remaining bulky item is my quilt. Will have to live with that for now. New bag on the menu when I return.

Andrew

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 am

EXTRA wheel? You already have one too many. You guys are soft!

:mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:I haven't heard of any issues from James with his one so far. Mind you he is on the Gibb River Road at the moment. I guess that will test it somewhat :)
An update. James is reporting that he had issues with the rack on the Extrawheel Voyager whilst riding the Gibb River Road. Details are sketchy but it seems that the rack mount broke at some point. Not promising. A couple of points to keep in mind: Not sure what wheels and tyres James is running and if that has made a difference nor what weight James is carrying so that may also have an impact.

Andrew

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello.

My two cents worth.

I am not sure the upper rack is equipped for long term off road testing. About half way (at Mt Barnet Roadhouse) down the Gibb river Road I noticed the front mount had snapped. Not the bolt, but above the bolt the alloy snapped in half. YMMV (first time I've ever used that abbreviation) but there is not enough give in the rack in my opinion to take long term off road hammering.

I was running 32mm tires at 60 psi. How much difference a bike with suspension would make I am not sure, however I do not think that much difference. The trailer bounces along by itself. A bloke wrapped some foam around and secured it with cable ties and that lasted a few more days. Then a few days later one of the arms extending vertical snapped off too. Not sure if anything could be done, not a fault of the bolts, or over tightening. I only had about 3.5 kg on it; sleeping bag, tent and pump.

Luckily for me I met a mobile caravan service guy who insisted on fixing it for free. Now it's better than new.

Perfect on road.

The trailer itself has been a dream. I often have to look back to make sure it is still there.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 pm

This German extreme touring couple took a slightly different approach to boosting the Extrawheel carrying capacity.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70D_sPb ... r_embedded[/youtube]
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm

In light of the feedback of the top rack and the germans custom job, I'm thinking to try mounting a front frame on the extrawheel.

Thinking about the surly nice front rack

http://surlybikes.com/parts/surly_rack/

or perhaps going for an old man mountain rack (since they are designed for mountain bikes with a complete absence of standard mounting points for front racks)

http://www.bikebagshop.com/omm-sherpa-f ... -1128.html

any suggestions (or experience with either the surly nice front rack or the old man mountain sherpa front rack)?
Go!Run!GAH!

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:48 am

I have the Nice Rack on the front, a cargo bike is where it belongs. A robust but heavy and fiddly to mount rack, at least on the thick legs of my Surly forks. The OMM would be far lighter but not as functional although that depend upon what you might strap on it.

c r c sells a clone of the Nice Rack for 50-70 bucks, search for item 188050. Ragley Rack 'em Up. Looks to have all the same fittings as the Surly, rated to the same load weight of 32kgs, also CrMo.

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi, has anyone used the ragley rack and if so how did it go.
Is it exactly the same design as the surly rack.
Cheers

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Basically just after something to keep things mounted to the top of the pannier out of the spokes. The extra wheel top carrier sounds like a questionable retrofit and after reading on other forums about the extra wheel losing its low point of gravity (and hence stability) with an extra (loaded up) pannier rack welded on I opted for something a bit cheaper 8)

I just rigged this up out of low density poly pipe, glue soaked cotton wool balls, two hose clamps, an elastic strap, a few zip ties and about 15 hose pipe joiners.
(light as a feather)

The two back braces have joiners filled up with a sort of araldite glue soaked cotton wool so they can take a bit of compression from the hose clamps. The front has an extended T joiner in the middle that reaches down into the cavity of the extra wheel frame. Its just held in place with a short elastic luggage strap so it doesn't bounce out of the cavity.

Also did the same glue trick on the two joiners that take the brunt of the elastic strap and the joiner end at the bottom of the extrawheel cavity but it was probably unnecessary.

Taken it for a little spin and its structural enough to do the job and seems to have enough flex to avoid snapping . I'm thinking it might even hold up for mounting my 1 man tent on the top.

Not doing any serious touring till next year but I will take it on a 9 day spin in a month or two.

Admittedly not the coolest looking thing on the velodrome but then I guess touring cyclists don't really care :lol:
Go!Run!GAH!

Danneaux

Postby Danneaux » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:51 am

Hi All!

Given the foregoing discussion, you may be interested in a new project I have in the works using an ExtraWheel trailer, SON28 Klassik dynohub, B&M e-Werk, and wind-and solar supplementation as a do-all power-generating and vidcam filming/powering solution. You're welcome to follow the project as it progresses over at the Thorn Cycles Forum, here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/ind ... 9#msg25499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a project I've been working on for some time in my efforts to find a do-all solution to provide me with extra cargo capacity for my dry-region touring as well as for generating the power I need when solo and self-supported, well away from mains power. There's a lot going on, and it is in development, but should be a fun project. I've been lurking and following BNA for some time, and have learned much from you and have greatly enjoyed your many photos of touring in "the Land Down Under".

Best,

Dan.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Danneaux wrote:Hi All!

Given the foregoing discussion, you may be interested in a new project I have in the works using an ExtraWheel trailer, SON28 Klassik dynohub, B&M e-Werk, and wind-and solar supplementation as a do-all power-generating and vidcam filming/powering solution. You're welcome to follow the project as it progresses over at the Thorn Cycles Forum, here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/ind ... 9#msg25499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a project I've been working on for some time in my efforts to find a do-all solution to provide me with extra cargo capacity for my dry-region touring as well as for generating the power I need when solo and self-supported, well away from mains power. There's a lot going on, and it is in development, but should be a fun project. I've been lurking and following BNA for some time, and have learned much from you and have greatly enjoyed your many photos of touring in "the Land Down Under".

Best,

Dan.
Hi Dan,
a belated welcome to the forum.
I somehow missed your post.
I'm about to follow your link to see how you got on.
I've just had wrongly delivered a son28 centrelock disk hub (I ordered a 6 bolt).
Your idea of using one as a dedicated trailer wheel has got my interest.
Look forward to seeing your next post. :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Anyone make their purchase via Extrawheel.com which appears to be in Poland?
Semi Eastern bloc countries dont usually get my purchases but their now part of the EC so buying from them means no VAT making their current prices appear better than Buffs, the local Aus supplier.
I tried to contact Edward from Buffs (Ebay site) contact but he's unavailable today.
Wheel-less trailer with nuts, flag, mudguard, top-rack with Ortlieb rackbag, 29er trailer fork legs and Extrawheel logo'd Ortlieb panniers for approx $500 delivered.
Worried about the postage speed from Poland.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 pm

After being inundated with all your replies......
Hey I'm an impatient sod so shoot me!
I took the plunge and ordered an Extrawheel trailer frame with 29er legs, both nuts 10x1 and QR, rack with rack bag (shame its red when all my other bags are yellow), Ortlieb rear roller classics with Extrawheel logo, an Ortlieb shower valve and an Ortlieb first aid kit.
My order was just confirmed so I'll update the thread when it all arrives. :D

Dealing with Poland, which is now part of the EC, you deduct the VAT from the price (or if you remember to click in your country at the purchase point, the site does it for you).
When you spend 357 euro's or more postage becomes free and is via the Polish Postal Service with an estimated 10 days (we shall see).

Oh and I did go with Poland in the end, paying via paypal so hopefully some protection should things not go well.

Gotta comment on the help and advice from Edward from Buff (http://www.extrawheel.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Couldnt have been more helpful and I felt very guilty that he was currently unable to fill my requirements as if he'd had everything I wanted, I'd have no hesitation in doing business with him. :)

I

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:47 am

Look forward to seeing the end result rifraf...

Maybe I'll try one in the future if I ever see the need...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:17 am

Wingnut wrote:Look forward to seeing the end result rifraf...

Maybe I'll try one in the future if I ever see the need...
I'm looking forward to it too Wingnut.
Dont think it'll handle a surfboard though.
They do mention a boogie board but unless you break your current stick in half...... :wink:

I'm looking at it in that I can utilise my spare Son28 hub thus making it a charging platform. :idea:
Its lighter than my Carry Freedom two wheel trailer and wont tempt me so much into taking too much extra gear unlike my WA tour.
I'm hoping to work out how to charge my laptop and camera.

My dynamo hubbed wheel is complete and ready to go.
It mirrors my Ogres front wheel using the same hub (albeit centerlock instead of 6 bolt), spokes and rim.
I'm hoping the need never raises itself but I had to admit theres a certain logic in having a spare wheel/rim replacement in case of major damage, although I imagine its the rear thats most likely to suffer, at least theres the possibility of swapping rims via a bike shop. :)

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:50 am

Yeah I considered doing the same with my old Son dynamo hub too...a trailer that can charge would be handy...

My reason for having the trailer was for carrying the surfboard or maybe picking up groceries from the local supermarket...