Rim Brakes for a touring bike - Suggestions?

Aushiker

Re: Rim Brakes for a touring bike - Suggestions?

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi

So if you go with the Tektro RL520s what do we suggest in terms of the v-brakes themselves? This would be on the Surly Long Haul Trucker which has mudguards and racks fitted.

Thanks
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Polishbiker is getting a Thorn Raven Nomad SS I believe. He is getting the same brakes as mine, Avid Single Digit Ultimate V-Brake.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Polishbiker is getting a Thorn Raven Nomad SS I believe. He is getting the same brakes as mine, Avid Single Digit Ultimate V-Brake.
Do you have mudguards but?

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Yes I do, and polishbiker is getting the same as well. He showed me his bike24 order to review before he purchased. My mudguards are suited for 2.25" tyres.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Yes I do, and polishbiker is getting the same as well. He showed me his bike24 order to review before he purchased. My mudguards are suited for 2.25" tyres.
Ouch. $88 each (or is that for a pair?) versus $24 for a set of Tektro. They would have to be better than discs to justify those prices. I see http://bike24.net don't have stock either with no estimated delivery.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:So if you go with the Tektro RL520s what do we suggest in terms of the v-brakes themselves? This would be on the Surly Long Haul Trucker which has mudguards and racks fitted.
I used Tektro 857AL v-brakes on my fender-equipped LHT. With the long arms they are extra powerful and the supplied pads are grippy and long-wearing. The RL520 levers have a shorter span which allows them to be mounted further up the bend of the bars for a more comfortable hand position. I got both levers and brakes from Jenson USA, very economical.

And while you have the bar tape off, relocate the shifters onto Paul Thumbies.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Ouch. $88 each (or is that for a pair?) versus $24 for a set of Tektro. They would have to be better than discs to justify those prices. I see http://bike24.net don't have stock either with no estimated delivery.

Andrew
I think polishbiker grabbed the last set. He was quite suprised at how hard my Thorn brakes, hence he followed me down that path.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:30 pm

hello again -)

Yes, decided to built a 'proper' touring bicycle and sell my Surly.

Hopefully i grabbed the last pair! The price is for a single caliper, they worked very well when tested.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 pm

polishbiker wrote:Hopefully i grabbed the last pair! The price is for a single caliper, they worked very well when tested.
Thanks for the clarification. $176 puts them out of my price range. Cannot see that they would have such a performance difference to justify the price. Lots of folks seem to be using the Tektro ones and are happy with them so will go with that option I think.

Regards
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Aushiker wrote:Do you have mudguards but?
These are Avid Single Digit SL's fitted to my VN pioneer. Not much clearance.

Edit: As you can see in the picture, a 135 degree noodle is supplied for the front brake. A barrel adjuster is nice to have but not essential. Cut the cable long, crimp on a ferrule and tuck the end in behind the spring on the arm.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Baalzamon wrote:I think polishbiker grabbed the last set. He was quite suprised at how hard my Thorn brakes, hence he followed me down that path.
The Avid brakes have serious bite, which is just the way I like them, but a point to remember is that Andrew won't be using the Avid Speed Dial levers, which are the real reason the Avid brakes are so powerful.

I've had to adjust the Speed Dials (the red knobs) several times to modulate to the point where my brakes don't lock up too easily.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Just thought I'd add another option to consider that I came across today in my web browsing:
A disk brake conversion kit.
No frame mods.
The kit is dependent on you using one of their listed hubs. A good (IMHO) selection
but wont suit everyone (myself included).
http://2btherapy.com/
http://2btherapy.com/bikes/brake-therapy-conversion-kit
Hope this is of some interest or help to someone :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

GregLR

Re: Rim Br to kes for a touring bike - Suggestions?

Postby GregLR » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm also a fan of wide-profile cantilevers, after fitting a pair of Tektro CR720 to my LHT. They work very well (though are a bit of a fiddle to fit) and are a lot less expensive than some of the other brands of cyclocross-style cantilevers mentioned above. I bought them after reading a good report in the UK Cyclists' Touring Club magazine a few years ago.

PS I thought I should mention that I have fitted the Tektro front brake using a cable 'uphanger' from the forks below the lower headset rather than using a cable hanger as part of the spacers above the headset The uphanger is designed to reduce or eliminate 'judder' in cantilever brakes. The one I've used is from Cannondale, costing about $30, after I saw it fitted to a cyclocross bike at my LBS. But they can be bought for a far lower price from, for example, Spa Cycles in the UK. See photos of my LHT with this post http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 00#p696004

Greg