Trailers - general info and opinions

Aushiker

Re: Trailers - general info and opinions

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:44 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
RonK wrote:BushTrekka[/url]... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a joke and I really feel sorry for the great guys at Kamp-rite that ever got involved with the tool that invented the Bushtrekka (They have since parted ways). I believe the same tool is involved with the TrailRat as well and you will never see spare parts or support from that Aussie son of a rodents rectum ............ :roll:
I guess you don't think much of him/her ... is there more more to know?

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm

The man himself was on the New Inventors.
Troy was on a cycling trip about 8 years ago with a friend in the Snowy Mountains. He woke up one morning after a freezing night camping. As he got out of the tent his back brushed against the side and a huge sheet of ice that had formed on the fabric broke and slipped down the tent. Assuring himself that he was not going to endure another freezing and restless night on the ground came the inspiration to make a bicycle towable camper trailer.
^
^
He really just needs an Exped Synmat :wink: :P
Last edited by il padrone on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:21 pm

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
RonK wrote:BushTrekka[/url]... :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a joke and I really feel sorry for the great guys at Kamp-rite that ever got involved with the tool that invented the Bushtrekka (They have since parted ways). I believe the same tool is involved with the TrailRat as well and you will never see spare parts or support from that Aussie son of a rodents rectum ............ :roll:
I guess you don't think much of him/her ... is there more more to know?

Andrew
Andrew I think what I have already said sums up Troy but if you would like to know more of my personal dealings I'm happy to Tell you in a PM so Chris (Site Owner) doesn't get the bad end of the stick in public. If anyone wants to purchase either of the products just make sure you use the American distributor Kamp-Rite and all will be ok but don't deal with rodents rectum himself.

Ricky

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:05 am

I have used my Bob Ibex twice on extended tours in Australia. In 2006 it was quite indispensable on the Savannah Way on the dirt road as I could carry all sorts of stuff that at times proved to be useful. This past July-August between Adelaide, Peterbourough, Pooncarrie, Wagga and Bundadoon the trailer carried all sorts of things that were also useful.

However, now I am reconsidering. I have a new mini-velo that is a take-apart and with it's 20" wheels (408, I think) it just fits into a 20" x 20" x 12" box. I will use 4 panniers when using it between Perth and Adelaide. Why, you ask??

Simply I am tired of the excess baggage charged by airlines. The Ibex cost $500 to bring it into SYD from India. and they wanted the same to take it out. So, it is in storage in SYD. It may be sold (if panniers are suitable in this coming trip).

The trailer is a bit of a hassle as far as extra effort needed to carry extra stuff, but it is GREAT when extra bags/bottles of H2O have to come on a trip.

In 2006 at Barroloola, I met a fellow from Tassie who used a BOB on his round-Aussie trip. He went up to Cape York and from Kalgoorlie went across to Ayer's Rock on the dirt road and then south to Adelaide and on the bitumen. He said the needed the BOB for the extra stuff he needed on his self-supporting trip.

My next tour will be totally on bitumen and seldom more than a day in any direction from another petrol station/truck stop. The mini-velo and panniers is an experiment to see if I can get around the headache of XS baggage flying into/out of Australia. It is also a way to get around all the quarrantine stuff at air cargo - which does NOT exist at international passenger terminals. Waiting 2 days, paying fees, waiting for inspectors and then watching them roll their eyes when they see it is just bicycle stuff. Oh well, I don't set the rules, I just follow them and try to minimize impact on myself and my bicycle touring gear. Off my soapbox now. :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Just added my trailer hitch bracket to my axle today.
As well as my new rear derailleur, cassette and chain.
Have yet to decide when to add my new custom rear wheel so I'm
still utilising "Old Faithfull" whose never dropped a spoke despite being 15 years
old with many a km on her.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:29 pm

rifraf wrote:Just added my trailer hitch bracket to my axle today.
Looks like a pretty secure hitch method. Is there anyway for an emergency disconnect?

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:32 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Is there anyway for an emergency disconnect?
Andrew
I think its colloquially referred to as "toothless with gravel rash"
I think there's an ejecta-saddle (Brooks) as an optional extra :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:43 pm

tmac100 wrote:I have used my Bob Ibex twice on extended tours in Australia. In 2006 it was quite indispensable on the Savannah Way on the dirt road as I could carry all sorts of stuff that at times proved to be useful. This past July-August between Adelaide, Peterbourough, Pooncarrie, Wagga and Bundadoon the trailer carried all sorts of things that were also useful.

However, now I am reconsidering. I have a new mini-velo that is a take-apart and with it's 20" wheels (408, I think) it just fits into a 20" x 20" x 12" box. I will use 4 panniers when using it between Perth and Adelaide. Why, you ask??

Simply I am tired of the excess baggage charged by airlines. The Ibex cost $500 to bring it into SYD from India. and they wanted the same to take it out. So, it is in storage in SYD. It may be sold (if panniers are suitable in this coming trip).

The trailer is a bit of a hassle as far as extra effort needed to carry extra stuff, but it is GREAT when extra bags/bottles of H2O have to come on a trip.

In 2006 at Barroloola, I met a fellow from Tassie who used a BOB on his round-Aussie trip. He went up to Cape York and from Kalgoorlie went across to Ayer's Rock on the dirt road and then south to Adelaide and on the bitumen. He said the needed the BOB for the extra stuff he needed on his self-supporting trip.

My next tour will be totally on bitumen and seldom more than a day in any direction from another petrol station/truck stop. The mini-velo and panniers is an experiment to see if I can get around the headache of XS baggage flying into/out of Australia. It is also a way to get around all the quarrantine stuff at air cargo - which does NOT exist at international passenger terminals. Waiting 2 days, paying fees, waiting for inspectors and then watching them roll their eyes when they see it is just bicycle stuff. Oh well, I don't set the rules, I just follow them and try to minimize impact on myself and my bicycle touring gear. Off my soapbox now. :wink:
Great soapbox Tmac100
Some very interesting points - especially for potential purchasers of trailers
I can see how travel and trailers can be a headache when utilising public transport.
I had no idea how expensive though for international travel - Thanks for the education :!:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:52 pm

As well as my new rear derailleur, cassette and chain.
Have yet to decide when to add my new custom rear wheel so I'm
still utilising "Old Faithfull" whose never dropped a spoke despite being 15 years
old with many a km on her.
Hi Aidan on both the hitch and the towing arm that is under the trailer add a small piece of plastic tube this will stop the rattle as it will drive you nuts.

Last edited by }SkOrPn--7 on Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:57 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: it will drive you nuts.
Too late! Already nutty :lol:
Great tip Ricky :idea: - thank you :!:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:01 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote: it will drive you nuts.
Too late! Already nutty :lol:
Great tip Ricky :idea: - thank you :!:
Forgot :D

It's hard to tell on the trailer but on both sides of the square tube against it I placed a fibre washer either side to also stop metal to metal rattle along with plastic tube to take up the slack in the pin.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:09 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
Ricky
You've been cooking with those dementia inducing aluminum pots again :!:
Where did you source your fibre washers?
If your going to bandy about these great tips your going to be called on it
if we gotta find stuff ourselves :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually for me thats a great tip as I had to go mad with a file to deal with some poor machining/finishing
after I was forced to use a cold-chisel to separate the hitch tube to trailer.
Some fibre washers to take up some play and remove metal to metal contact will eliminate noise tenfold :D

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:22 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
Ricky
You've been cooking with those dementia inducing aluminum pots again :!:
Where did you source your fibre washers?
If your going to bandy about these great tips your going to be called on it
if we gotta find stuff ourselves :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually for me thats a great tip as I had to go mad with a file to deal with some poor machining/finishing
after I was forced to use a cold-chisel to separate the hitch tube to trailer.
Some fibre washers to take up some play and remove metal to metal contact will eliminate noise tenfold :D
Listen it's Christmas and this old fart has problems so go easy.....:wink:

Fibre washers can be purchased in those small blister packs from auto stores or even Bunnings/Hardware stores for about $1.95 a packet or just make something using a piece of plastic cut from an old ice cream lid or similar that way it's free.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:46 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:

Fibre washers can be purchased in those small blister packs from auto stores or even Bunnings/Hardware stores for about $1.95 a packet or just make something using a piece of plastic cut from an old ice cream lid or similar that way it's free.

Ricky
As for problems at Chrissy, this old fart is almost out of Drambuie so there will be no sympathy or indeed empathy here :wink:
I'm gonna have to wait till my brothers kids have opened there pressies (tomorrow) and buzzed off to where ever until I can climb into
my gift of a bottle of "Wild Turkey" (thank you Hey Zeus) to aid my bid to forget I'm not yet in WA. :lol: :lol:
I have, it seems, a SuperCheapAuto, AutoOne, Repco and Bunning's, so appear spoiled for choice for fibre washer opportunities.
Bike appears to be riding nice with the new gear and hopefully using my six month old cables means I wont have to worry too much about
cable stretch in the short to medium term and its inherent problems of gear slippage whilst wearing in.
A very Merry Xmas to you and yours Ricky and thanks for all your invaluable help and suggestions.
Cheers
Aidan

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:07 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:

Ricky
As for problems at Chrissy, this old fart is almost out of Drambuie so there will be no sympathy or indeed empathy here :wink:
I'm gonna have to wait till my brothers kids have opened there pressies (tomorrow) and buzzed off to where ever until I can climb into
my gift of a bottle of "Wild Turkey" That bottle of Drambuie has clouded your head it was no bottle of "Wild Turkey" you climbed into I have it on good authority it's the real deal you mounted........... :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (thank you Hey Zeus) to aid my bid to forget I'm not yet in WA. :lol: :lol:
I have, it seems, a SuperCheapAuto, AutoOne, Repco and Bunning's, so appear spoiled for choice for fibre washer opportunities.
Bike appears to be riding nice with the new gear and hopefully using my six month old cables means I wont have to worry too much about
cable stretch in the short to medium term and its inherent problems of gear slippage whilst wearing in.
A very Merry Xmas to you and yours Ricky and thanks for all your invaluable help and suggestions.
Cheers
Aidan
I dare say 6 month old cables will have well and truly very little stretch. Thanks Aidan hope that your Christmas was a nice one or at least you can remember what happened but as for mine it was a nice quite one. When do you leave for WA?

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:

Ricky
my gift of a bottle of "Wild Turkey" That bottle of Drambuie has clouded your head it was no bottle of "Wild Turkey" you climbed into I have it on good authority it's the real deal you mounted........... :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Alas no spring chick available but neither did I wake up next to some old chook(thank you Hey Zeus) to aid my bid to forget I'm not yet in WA. :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Aidan[/quote]

I dare say 6 month old cables will have well and truly very little stretch. Thanks Aidan hope that your Christmas was a nice one or at least you can remember what happened but as for mine it was a nice quite one. When do you leave for WA?

Ricky[/quote]

My stuffs disappearing at a rate of knots - various charity shops doing quite well this week.
I was initially really worried about excessive heat leaving Dec/Jan but its actually the rain currently making me second guess myself.
I'll get a thread up requesting help with a route (no not the old boiler - a choice of roads) tonight.
Where was your own last tour too? And how did it go?

Aidan :D

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:14 am

Hi

i was looking at getting a trailer for transporting some gear around town

also would think about doing some trips to places 300-400km away

i would be testing the bike around town and on the dirt so could get used to the trailer and having a load of gear to see how it handles

i have seen some steel trailers that are like 12kg or less

i was wandering what look for and also don't want spend 700-800 on a trailer

also would single wheel or double wheel trailer be better

should i look for certain limit that trailer will hold i have seen some say they will hold 32 to 45kgs

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:03 am

bardynt wrote:Hi

i was looking at getting a trailer for transporting some gear around town

also would think about doing some trips to places 300-400km away

i would be testing the bike around town and on the dirt so could get used to the trailer and having a load of gear to see how it handles

i have seen some steel trailers that are like 12kg or less

i was wandering what look for and also don't want spend 700-800 on a trailer

also would single wheel or double wheel trailer be better

should i look for certain limit that trailer will hold i have seen some say they will hold 32 to 45kgs
Hi bardynt,
think the first thing you need to define is how much in the way of weight and volume you want to take (maximum)
and then, where you want to take it.
Single wheel variants are suggested to perform better off road whilst some dual wheels can carry more load with less stress transferred
to the bike frame.
The threads consensus thus far suggests (to me) for a couple of panniers worth (50-60 litres) you might look very seriously at the extrawheel.
The Bob is favored by those needing to take larger bulkier loads with some off-road trekking involved (for superior off road use).
For larger loads but with mainly on road use, look carefully at the freedom carry y-frame.
There are links in the first page to the manufacturers and some reviews (as well there is of course lots of reading available via a search engine like yahoo or google).
If you are more specific there be more suggestions and tips.
Have you read through the entire thread?
Cheers
Aidan :D

Boombibit

Postby Boombibit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:02 pm

Hej there

Cheep trailer if you got the pieces anyway, and can weld :?

Made this out of a bob trailer fork and a MTB front fork and some welding. It performs well so far, I will test it finally when spring arrives.

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:53 pm

Hi

yes i have seen some links of different trailers

a lot have said that axles on them are a weak point

i was wandering what people have tried in way of trailers and what problems they have had

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:54 pm

bardynt wrote:a lot have said that axles on them are a weak point
Such as? I haven't read this with respect to the BOB or the Extrawheel, both in my limited experience being good touring trailers.

Andrew

bardynt

Postby bardynt » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:16 pm

well the two wheels trailers a lot of people having problems with the axles

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:24 pm

bardynt wrote:well the two wheels trailers a lot of people having problems with the axles
Perhaps in the quest for clarity you might consider being a little more specific bardynt.
Perhaps too a link or two?
Being an owner of a two wheel trailer it would be great to know of potential issues so please share :!:
I'm sure extrawheel would love to know too as they recommend a two wheel trailer for extra heavy loads.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

rifraf wrote:
bardynt wrote:well the two wheels trailers a lot of people having problems with the axles
Perhaps in the quest for clarity you might consider being a little more specific bardynt.
Perhaps too a link or two?
Being an owner of a two wheel trailer it would be great to know of potential issues so please share :!:
I'm sure extrawheel would love to know too as they recommend a two wheel trailer for extra heavy loads.
I wouldn't be too concern rifraf. By all accounts you have a good trailer there.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I wouldn't be too concern rifraf. By all accounts you have a good trailer there.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
yes, I believe so.
I do think its worth pointing out that claims to the contrary should be backed up with
at least a couple of links if its outside a posters personal experience.
Non specific, vague sweeping statements don't do anyone favors and I was trying
to gently (fail?) put this across without rancor.
Perhaps saying what people said which two wheeled trailers had this issue and where it was said
might have given something to answer.
Last edited by rifraf on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.