Mudgee to Mildura potential trip

rifraf

Re: Mudgee to Mildura potential trip

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:33 pm

RonK wrote:Glad you saw the light - no doubt you'll find other stuff that is not essential. 9 kgs must have made a big difference.
Sorry, but my brother wasn't able to make any suggestions, but good that your sister can store stuff for you.
Hi Ron, as it looks like I'll be stuck here for a week or more I plan to put some real thought into my load.
If its possible, I'll get rid of my 120litre plastic box and try to rely on the yellow roll top bag that I hung onto from my Bob trailer.
I'll also look to see if its possible to hang my 10litre Ortlieb waterbag
underneath the trailer.
I'd forgotton the idea of keeping the weight low on the trailer in the initial parts of my jouney and was amazed at the difference at once I'd worked it out. :oops:
I took the water bag off the lid of the box and put it to the floor of the box and this has of course improved things drastically. :shock:
As for "no doubt you'll find other stuff that is not essential", I've some spares such as a rebuild kit for the front forks which I plan to do before
I head off again.
I bought some of those multi direction cleats you suggested in the parts box which will be added to the shoes prematurely as well.
I'm starting to think every gram counts now.
I'm thinking the yellow "Bob" bag might offer less wind resistance as well
being lower when full than the plastic box.
I'll update on how I go. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:51 pm

il padrone wrote:You've got to be kidding - 6 D-cells?

Those things went out with the ark. There are a whole selection of brilliant little LED torches and head-lamps for camping that are 1/10 the weight of that Maglite monster, and far brighter to boot.

The only security of a Maglite is it's dual function as a cosh for security officers :P
Yeah I think Ronk's already pointed out I've a habit of holding onto old gear in my Optimus stove posts :roll:
I must be getting better as I didnt bring the Optimus on this trip and I saw the light in Parkes and posted the torch onwards to WA.
I'm making do with a Cateye 3 led bicycle light.
I'd made the commitment to myself to buy one of those fancy headlight units after reading about one in one of Andrews (Aushiker) threads.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =2&t=48934
I only noticed recently that they wont be readily available for sale until
June/July (from memory).
Dont worry, I may still be "on the dark side" but am slowly getting there with regards to gear updates, now I've started doing some distance trips
far from home.
Funny your mention of the cosh function, as this was its purchase function many moons ago when I was looking after some commercial premises that were being repeatedly broken into. :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:09 pm

WarrenH wrote:Rif, G'day. There are lots of Brown Snakes too, take care. Every person that I've met has warned me about the Brown Snakes.

Warren.
G'day Warren,
I had just rejoined the tarmac the other night after being detoured.
Just before heading up the road towards West Euabalong, I was thinking about trying to find a spot on the side of the road to drop my bivybag to sleep.
I came accross a very large snake on the side of the road.
Scared me silly and I forgot all thoughts of roadside camping.
Nothing like the small snakes, by comparasen that I spotted squashed on
the road prior to this sighting.
As I tend to hug the curb usually, I thank the heavens I wasnt this night and for the brightness of the Edelux headlight.
As previous sightings mentioned, this one appeared black, though unlike the previous sightings, this one was very much alive.
Did it move towards me? I swerved and didnt look back for many a mile. :lol:

footloose

Postby footloose » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:09 am

il padrone wrote:
footloose wrote:You really should be trying more to protect yourself from mozzie bites, the last thing you need is to come down with Dengue Fever or any other mozzie borne disease.
Dengue fever is not a risk - it's a Queenslnd problem

Edit

For rifraf the concerns are Ross River Virus and Murray Valley Encephalitis. Both nasties. Strongly recommend you use good repellant, and a mossie/fly head-net won't go to waste, especially when you get into the cattle country later in the year.
Oops, my mistake. I had Dengue Fever on the brain after reading a journal on CGOAB
But I think the comment about a mozzie net is still very relevant if using a bivvy bag. I used to use a bivvy bag and would not use one again without a proper net unless I was very sure I was out of mozzie territory.

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Mr rifraf!

Have not been too active here lately! You are doing it i see! :) good to hear.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:23 pm

footloose wrote:But I think the comment about a mozzie net is still very relevant if using a bivvy bag. I used to use a bivvy bag and would not use one again without a proper net unless I was very sure I was out of mozzie territory.
Hi Footloose,
here at Lake Cargelligo the mozzies are heaps tamer than down the road at Euabolong.
I'm finding the Bushmans more than adaquate to keep them at bay.
The price is much better here too for the bushmans - $9.90 for the large
spray instead of $16 at Parkes.

My bivvy bag has a built in mozzie net.
My sleepingbag linner also has a head net so twice the protection.
Although theres mozzies here and protection is needed (and used),
things are a lot tamer.

My new problem is my bivvy bag has developed leakage in rain.
Not surprising as its over 10 years old now.
I've gotten a couple of tarps with me for just such an issue.
I use one underneath as a footprint and in the case of grey weather,
one above.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:33 pm

polishbiker wrote:Mr rifraf!

Have not been too active here lately! You are doing it i see! :) good to hear.
Hi Pawel, :)
not getting far lately as I'm stuck due to flooding and road closures.
Not here but further on at Hay.
I figure heres as good as Hillston as a place to wait out the floods at Hay.
The roads in and out of there are currently closed according to my info.
I'll wait to here until Hay has peaked before setting out.
I think its about 200km to get there so depending on road conditions, about 2 - 3 days to get there.
Hopefully by that time the roads will be passable.
I'm staying at the Lakes caravan park.
Very friendly staff and its got nice facilities.
Everythings nice and clean.
Very hot and sunny days and Its hard to get my head around with all
the surrounds being flooded out with water.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 pm

rifraf....I know it might be nice to wait it out in Lake Cargelligo for the water to drop in Hay. But I wouldn't. I'd be setting out sooner rather than later.
For two reasons...one is the Lachlan River at your back and the other is the fact that the flooding in Hay will move downstream to Balranald which may compromise progress much further down and for even longer.

It might take you a couple of days at least to get down to Goolgowi (pub, roadhouse, couple of motels, plenty of camping places) via Hillston but least you'll be away from the (admittedly low) flooding potential of the Lachlan once you get past Hillston (due to peak on the 24th). After that you've got 109km to Hay....where flood levels will stay up for another three days from now.

So your four or five days spent riding from tomorrow might get you through Hay without too much grief....

And then Balranald will hit major flood level on the 6th...which you'd want to be past...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Residents of Hay have been urged to evacuate amid fears the town's levee won't hold back the Murrumbidgee.
So if your in Hay, get moving.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:55 pm

rifraf wrote:I've gotten a couple of tarps with me for just such an issue.
I use one underneath as a footprint ....
Good to hear you are on the move. HOpe it pans out well for you once you escape the floods.

Personally I would be wary of a tarp under my bivouac. They have the potential to catch the rain creating a nice overnight bath :)

Andrew

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:03 pm

Rif, G'day, I'm enjoying your trip ... thank you.
rifraf wrote:I came across a very large snake on the side of the road.
With the nights getting colder now, you will possibly see more snakes by the side of the road at night. Being cold blooded, they're trying to soak up the last bit of heat from the warmer roadsides.

A few years ago I was with my Dad driving on the Newell Highway. My Dad was a real city slicker, not a Bushie at all. Dad stopped the car to see what the dozens of black lines, that we had been passing for hours, on the sides of the road were. I was asleep when he got out of the car, to see what the black lines were. He jumped back into the car super-pronto, when he realised that they were snakes by the hundreds. If I'd been half awake, I would have told him what they were. If I remember correctly, I think that Dad then drove for the next several hours into Queensland non-stop ... sitting right the middle of the road. It freaked him right out.
rifraf wrote: ... nothing like the small snakes, by comparasen that I spotted squashed on the road prior to this sighting.
Small Australian venomous snakes are just as venomous as the large ones of the same species. Definitely, size doesn't matter. A snake is most venomous when it first comes from hibernation because it has built up its poison sacks to full. Hopefully those you meet will have bitten heaps of creatures, already ... and hopefully be slithering on empty.
rifraf wrote: As previous sightings mentioned, this one appeared black, though unlike the previous sightings, this one was very much alive.
Where you are, those black snakes could be more than just a Red Belly Black (a relatively timid common Black Snake), they could be a Highlands Copperhead (extremely venomous, they're found in the Central West not just in the High Country), Yellow Faced Whip Snake (a mildly venomous snake), a While Lipped Snake (again mildly venomous, the term mildly venomous is relative of course), Broad Headed Snake (mildly venomous, they have thin lines of yellow scales on predominantly black scales, just like a chicken wire pattern) or an Eastern Tiger Snake (highly venomous, a Tiger can be totally black apart from a few stripes in the centre of the snakes under-belly). Tigers don't always look overtly Tigerish.

You lucky bloke, you've got a serious selection of deadly snakes to identify, now.
rifraf wrote:I swerved and didnt look back for many a mile. :lol:
I've learnt to ride with my feet up on the handle bars, going through the long grass at home. If you normally clip in tightly, consider loosening those releases a tad, for executing a more rapid cleat release.

May fair tail winds be with you young Rif ... and don't overlook that wise old Bushie's saying, when you see the next dead snake on the road. Snakes don't die until after sundown. So, only pick them up after dark to identify them, OK.

Warren.

PS, ... but poke them with a big stick first, incase one is just snoozing.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Good to hear you are on the move. HOpe it pans out well for you once you escape the floods.

Personally I would be wary of a tarp under my bivouac. They have the potential to catch the rain creating a nice overnight bath :)
As you move into thorn-country, consider acquiring a closed-cell foam sleeping mat, to go under your tent. Even the best tarp will be penetrated by the bigger thorns, along with your bivvy-bag floor and thermarest :( The closed cell mat will absorb them pretty well. I used them with good results along the Oodnadatta Track. They only weigh a few hundred grams.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:47 pm

il padrone wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

As you move into thorn-country, consider acquiring a closed-cell foam sleeping mat, to go under your tent. Even the best tarp will be penetrated by the bigger thorns, along with your bivvy-bag floor and thermarest :( The closed cell mat will absorb them pretty well. I used them with good results along the Oodnadatta Track. They only weigh a few hundred grams.
Thanks for the idea IP :)

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Where are you now rifraf?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I just got into Berri.
The inability to find internet access whilst on the move is more than frustrating for me.
I've had almost no phone coverage as my phone is old and not 3g.
I'm at a Service Station whose internet has gobbled $10 for about 5 page changes which is doing wonders for my sense of humour.
I'm thinking about heading to Adelaide for a couple of days as I've not seen it before.
I've been told theres a couple of ways in.
Suggestions would be much appreciated.
I"m hoping that the next town has some net access.
I'll spend the night at at caravan park for a change and do some washing of clothes and body and enjoy a shave.
Took a spill outside of Mildura which has seen me with some very sore ribs.
Thick bulldust on a corner saw me sprawled.
Look forward to any replies if you've time.
Hope your enjoying your weekend.
I'm loving my trip (cept for the ribs). :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:00 pm

rifraf wrote:I'm thinking about heading to Adelaide for a couple of days as I've not seen it before. I've been told theres a couple of ways in. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sorry to hear of your spill - ribs can be bloody painful I know - hope they mend quickly.

Sure, why not visit Adelaide - you don't have to hurry do you? Looking at the map there don't seem many choices other than the A20 - but at least that route will give the opportunity to explore the Barossa Valley and drink some more of that red you are so partial too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to know you made it through the floods ok.

Cheers! Have a bottle on me...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Max

Postby Max » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Rifraf, I'm enjoying hearing about your travels. Stay safe and have a good time. :)

Max

----------
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk. All typos are Auto-Correct's fault, not mine ;)
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 pm

Adelaide YHA, right in the centre of town has excellent accommodation, and good internet available.

Easy riding aorund the CBD and inner suburbs - it's all flaaaat!!!
Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:09 am

Hey Rifraf,

Sounds like you are having a great adventure! Look after yourself & that little Moulton bike of yours...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:48 am

Hi all,
I stayed last night at a lake side caravan park at Barmera.
Very hot day today so I'm not looking at doing too many miles today.
Lucky for me the local library has secure parking for my bike with a camera covering its location.
Really enjoyed having a shower/shave and being able to wash my clothes.
The taraff was a bit more than I like to pay at $22 but the clean up was over due.

Going from Lake Cargelligo to Hillston was fine with no deep water to cross.
Big headwinds meant little milage but I did find a delightful campground at Merriwagga.
Very clean and tidy and only $8 for an unpowered sight - Highly recommended.
Little wind for my departure the next day but by the time I hit Gillgowie the headwind was getting fierce.
Heading for Hay was a 3 day nightmare of headwinds that was a very low point of the trip.
Hays surrounds were under water and I was too tired to be up to the challenge of looking for wild camping opportunities.
Caravan site at "Big4" was $22 for unpowered (ouch) and my meal at the local take-away was expensive but delicious (Thai).
More headwinds to Balranald but they were ridable in the low gears as opposed to the many km's of walking on the eastern side of the Hay plains.
Some low water crossing on the way but nothing really much over the rims.
Mildura was very busy as the Ulysses bike club AGM was on.
Some hill work on the way into Mildura but I was up for it.
The Mildura library assistant warned me about lots of recent bike theft which put me off stopping to use the internet.
Where the computers are is nowhere near the windows so effectively out of site.
Did have a fantastic lunch around the other side of the library which is a complex including information center and cafe'.
$7.50 for a huge roast beef and vege's meal.
A good looking campsite is at Lake Cullulleraine.
I called in for a squiz on the way and grabbed some tank (rain) water without asking as no one was about that I could find.
Looked a great place for an overnight stay with unpowered sites at $10. Lake frontage with wonderful views. - I recommend a stop.
One thing about the Stuart Highway is its hard to sleep.
Coming from the birdsong and mozzie whine of central tableland NSW its now constant roar of trucks.
I've been feeling a bit grumpy and resentful of their racket.
I stealth camped on the outskirts of Renmark on an empty section and was up and gone before I attracted any attention.
Windy again and an undulating road to here. Barmera.
Well worn road surface going through Berri and Glossom(?) with constant cracks on the road surface putting my teeth on edge.
I'm a little sore but having a great time and wondering why I've left it so long since I've done this.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:09 pm

Max wrote:Rifraf, I'm enjoying hearing about your travels. Stay safe and have a good time. :)

Max)
Hi Max,
I'm looking forward to reading of your adventures soon! :wink:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Wingnut wrote:Hey Rifraf,

Sounds like you are having a great adventure! Look after yourself & that little Moulton bike of yours...
Hi Wingnut,
I'm having a blast.
Really enjoying the trip.
Lots of sunshine and meeting some nice people.
When are you taking a trip of your own?
How is the Troll?
Cheers :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:17 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I'm thinking about heading to Adelaide for a couple of days as I've not seen it before. I've been told theres a couple of ways in. Suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sorry to hear of your spill - ribs can be bloody painful I know - hope they mend quickly.

Sure, why not visit Adelaide - you don't have to hurry do you? Looking at the map there don't seem many choices other than the A20 - but at least that route will give the opportunity to explore the Barossa Valley and drink some more of that red you are so partial too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to know you made it through the floods ok.

Cheers! Have a bottle on me...
I think I will!
Cheers :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:18 pm

il padrone wrote:Adelaide YHA, right in the centre of town has excellent accommodation, and good internet available.

Easy riding aorund the CBD and inner suburbs - it's all flaaaat!!!
Sounds perfect IP :!:
Thanks for the tip :idea: :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:34 pm

rifraf wrote:Coming from the birdsong and mozzie whine of central tableland NSW its now constant roar of trucks.
I've been feeling a bit grumpy and resentful of their racket.
Sounds like you need to take a stretch on the Mawson Trail north of Adelaide. No trucks, it's really quiet camping and the risk of bike theft is minimal. :wink:

I'd suggest riding out of Adelaide to say, Tanunda in the Barossa Valley and pick up the trail from there*, following it all the way through Clare, Burra, Spalding, Melrose to Quorn at least. Then if you are heading west, ride the Pichi Richi Pass to Port Augusta

* The first section of the trail out of Adelaide is wickedly steep climbing into the Mt Lofty Ranges - if your rig with the trailer is heavy, you'll be walking and cussing. We rode on the Gorge Rd through Cudlee Ck to Birdwood (great car museum) and got onto the Mawson Trail a few kms after this.

http://cycletrailsaustralia.com/2_trail ... n-trail-sa

Mandatory helmet law?