travel east or west warnambool/geelong?

All about touring, whether you are a local or visiting from overseas.

travel east or west warnambool/geelong?

Postby dottas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Hi
Straight after Easter I have 6 days to cycle either direction Warnambool /Geelong, which direction would be best? Any recommendations re accomodation/camping sites?
Thanks
dottas

by BNA » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 pm

BNA

Re: travel east or west warnambool/geelong?

Postby Uncle Just » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Only ever done west to east. No sun in the eyes heading east late in the day and winds are usually ok when I go. YHA at Apollo Bay is good. I've stayed at various hotels and motels in Warrnambool, Port Campbell, Apollo Bay, Lorne and Queenscliff over the years but there are camping spots at Cape Otway and all along the GOR. Most are ok from traveller's reports. Haven't camped myself because it's usually a 3 or 4 dayer so travelling light. Because it's Vic school hols you may pay a premium at some places.
Uncle Just

Postby il padrone » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Summertime - SE winds prevail, do it east to west.
Wintertime - NW/SW winds prevail, do it west to east.

Eastertime is a bit of a punt, being the change of season. It's early this year so you may be OK to ride east to west and get easterlies. In 2010 we left on April 20th and had NE tailwinds for two days, then the weather changed and we had SW and NW winds (headwinds :( ) from Cape Otway to Adelaide.

Campsites - a day's ride to Aireys Inlet (good caravan park) then on to Apollo Bay. The campground here could be expensive (it is in Jan) but the YHA is tremendous and right behind the main street. Then you could go on and take the side trip to Cape Otway, camping at Bimbi Park. Another day to Princeton (caravan park near the pub or down at the rec reserve) or Port Campbel (good caravan park). We stopped at many of the sights along the coast and took all day to ride to Peterborough (caravan park), then the next day rode to Warrnambool. So we took 6 days all up. I have done the same route in 4 days before - really depends on how mauch sightseeing you want to do along the way. Travelling solo you may go quicker, as I was riding with a mate and often we would stop for a breather and then 'gas-bag' on for a while :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby GJ_Coop » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Heading west you have the benefit of being on the side of the road to get the best view of the sea, etc, going the other way for the part between Lorne and Apollo Bay you can be up against the cliffs with not much shoulder to the road.

This is the best place in Australia to see koalas in their natural habitat. Kennett River is the famous spot, I walked up behind there in the evening and stopped counting at about 50, although you can see them from the main road if you look out. At night at the great little campground you can hear them with their strange grunting. It's worth doing the detour to Cape Otway to check out the fantastic lighthouse as well.

All in all there's plenty to distract you from riding near the 12 Apostles, you can spend hours at Loch Ard and going down the stairs onto the beach just to the east of the Apostles. You don't have to spend the whole day riding past what is a few of Victoria's best tourist attractions.
GJ_Coop

Postby Meditator » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:34 pm

I second gjcoop on two points. I cna't comment on the direction but koalas and taking your time to explore the rocks is well worth it.
Meditator

Return to Touring Australia