Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Trevtassie

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:23 pm

uad782 wrote:Hi everyone,

I have recently got a Sp PD 8X and am looking at using it for a USB charger. I am very close to ordering the sinewave cycles revolution. I like it because as well as charging from the hub I can connect it to a DC source under 50 odd volts and still charge.

I would also like a small portable battery that has about 24 Ah capacity with a 12 volt output with up to 2 amps out. This needs to be charged by a USB charged such as by the sinewave revolution

I realise that eBay has plenty of batteries with totally unrealistic capacities listed so was hoping for a better brand. Ideally I would like to use a LiFePO 4s but realise they seem very difficult to charge. I want it to power a radio transmitter such as the Yaesu Ft 817.

Any comment please.

As Ron suggested, I'd recommend the Forumslader, especially if you need to run 12V equipment, as it has a 12V output from the battery pack. It'll also take input from DC power sources and solar panels. You could upgrade the battery capacity of the Forumslader I suspect, it uses 3 Sony Li Manganese batteries in series. It has built in cell balancing already. Talk to Jens and tell him what you want to do. Use google translate to read www.forumslader.de Jens' contact details are there...

uad782

Postby uad782 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks everyone

It looks like 12 volts is too hard so I am going to get a sinewave revolution. I can always use a stepup voltage converter if needed.

Appreciate your input

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:19 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks everyone

It looks like 12 volts is too hard so I am going to get a sinewave revolution. I can always use a stepup voltage converter if needed.

Appreciate your input

The Forumslader is 12V and provides twice the output power from the hub compared to the Sinewave: 10W versus 5W... Jens can build you exactly what you need.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90754#p1363812

Re: Dynamo Hub- Forumslader Kit
Postby Trevtassie » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:08 pm

After 5 weeks on the road all i can say is get yourself a Forumslader. They work, and work well. Get the 3A version. Bluetooth only if you are a gear nerd. Large batteries. Job done, you'll always have power.

Having completed my "retirement build" and read of Trevtassie's experiences I contacted Jens in October 2017. After email negotiations I ordered what Trevor suggested above and paid Jens to assemble it. I had a nervous wait - minimal tracking info and the recent battery import scenario, but it finally arrived:

I spent last evening/this morning mounting it and took it for its inaugural test this pm:

Combined with my other "off grid" and "on grid" options I think that I'll be well prepared for extended remote touring...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Look forward to reading of your positive experiences with it. :)
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.