Dyno Hub Device Recharging

chillimagnum

Re: Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby chillimagnum » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks Tim. My laptop is small space wise but recharging seems like solar would be the only possible option.

Can anyone see a reason to go centre lock instead of ISO on the dynamo hub when running a Rohloff 4 bolt on the rear? For a travelling bike it seems CL would require an extra tool and since Rohloff have gone bolt on rear any reason to go CL on the front? The internet says CL is easier to remove/install but the rear rotor is bolt on anyway.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:35 am

If you go six bolt, consider seriously some non ferrous bolts would be my suggestion.
My Rohloff four bolt disk attaching bolts are going rusty with extremely limited exposure to the elements.
I plan to replace mine with stainless steel and with a healthy dob of copper grease both on the Rohloff and Son28 dynohub.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 am

Interesting you should say that because I ordered some titanium bolts to replace some rusted head stem bolts. Less than 12 months the original ones lasted what is it with manufacturers putting the cheapest bolts on their > $2K bikes must cost them 2cents a bolt OEM. Now I am trying to justify why I bought such an expensive set of replacement bolts. It better not rust, ever. Stainless would have been a better choice.

Never heard of copper grease cheers will look into that.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:37 pm

I purchase my stainless steel bolts etc from an eBay shop, fastenerkitsonline. Australian shop, all free postage. Found them quick and it seems reasonably priced. Can even place orders for two bolts etc.

Andrew
Andrew

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:37 am

chillimagnum wrote:Interesting you should say that because I ordered some titanium bolts to replace some rusted head stem bolts.
Titanium should
not corrode
be lighter

Stainless would be cheaper .. but about the same weight as the old steel ones.
chillimagnum wrote:Never heard of copper grease cheers will look into that.
:o "Never Seize" is one brand name that I use. My choice is to either use Lock Tight or Never Seize. Metal to metal contact is asking for problems, especially dissimilar metals (exception - stainless steel on both sides can gall - leading to seizure). I find that when it comes to separate them either does a reasonable job. The only exception to that is an exhaust system that requires yearly replacement of the Never Seize.

Both things reduce the air, water and dirt out of the contact area.
Last edited by Warin on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks Warin.
Warin wrote:(exception - stainless steel on both sides can gall - leading to seizure).
There's some interesting info on the S&S site about this.
http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm wrote: Objective: Our test is very specific to determine how effective various products are at reducing the tendency of stainless steel threads to gall and seize under extreme pressure
http://www.sandsmachine.com/grease_t.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; towards the end has a list of many products tested.
Aushiker wrote:I purchase my stainless steel bolts etc from an eBay shop, fastenerkitsonline.
Thanks, that's a huge selection of bolts.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:25 pm

chillimagnum wrote:
Warin wrote:(exception - stainless steel on both sides can gall - leading to seizure).
Aushiker wrote:I purchase my stainless steel bolts etc from an eBay shop, fastenerkitsonline.
Thanks, that's a huge selection of bolts.
I've found with my titanium frames that it very susceptible to galling using stainless steel bolts. I would not use ti bolts without proper lubrication.

Bolts Nuts Screws Online is a Gold Coast company that offers great service even for small quantities. Socket Head Cap Screws are the most commonly used on bikes.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Interesting S&S mentions this too on another page:
Threaded stainless steel and titanium fasteners have a tendency to gall when they rub against one another..... This phenomenon is especially common on threaded titanium parts.
http://www.sandsmachine.com/ac_greas.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Not sure if its been mentioned before and don't have enough spare time today to trawl back through all the pages.

Heres a link with some possible pertinent info for the photographers amongst us who are interested in charging camera batteries via cache batteries and solar.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/app_p ... _dslr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:50 pm

rifraf wrote:Not sure if its been mentioned before and don't have enough spare time today to trawl back through all the pages.

Heres a link with some possible pertinent info for the photographers amongst us who are interested in charging camera batteries via cache batteries and solar.

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/app_p ... _dslr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for this.

Voltaic also have a range of camera battery cradles which could be possibly used.

They have a guide to setting up a charging station.

Andrew
Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I really like my little Lenmar clip charger. It can charge straight off the ewerk or I can charge my $30 Arctic cache battery and then plug the clip into that. Simple, cheap it works.

This one from the manufacturer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjkTfUB ... detailpage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Leaf T on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Andy wrote:I really like my little Lenmar clip charger. It can charge straight off the ewerk or I can charge my $30 Arctic cache battery and then plug the clip into that. Simple, cheap it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMQEb6Gc5lA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the heads-up. Unfortunately my battery is 7.6v and the clip charger is way to small, however their other charges look promising charging up to 7.4v. Just depends how critical that .2v is.

BTW that video is shocking!

Andrew
Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:17 pm

It was. I just pasted the first thing I saw. I saw the Lenmar one after.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:25 am

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/169885" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cache battery on the Ozbargain site

https://www.facebook.com/events/827917030561946/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Xiaomi 10400mAh Portable Power Bank $25.95 Delivered from Mushtato - Starts Tues 18/11 (AT) 0800hrs

Always good to have options :idea:

Hope this is of interest to someone :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:35 am

Aushiker wrote:
Andy wrote:It would pay to be sure of the source. There is info online about how to spot a fake.
Yeah ... trying to spot a genuine seller is proving pretty hard .. even the eBay link in the Gizmodo post is an odd one. Oh well back to the Powertraveller.

Andrew
My link is supposedly to the manufacturer if I've read it right (with the caveat that it is 1.34am in the morning) :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:42 am

Details on KLite.com.au Facebook page

Andrew
Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 pm

Just a switch to push power from lights to charger. My question is this device truly needed. I sure don't, Luxos 179U usb port will lower the lighting power automatically. No extra device needed....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Just a switch to push power from lights to charger. My question is this device truly needed. I sure don't, Luxos 179U usb port will lower the lighting power automatically. No extra device needed....
Well not everyone has or wants to use Luxos 179U lights so I would suggest that alone answers your question.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:37 pm

RonK wrote:This gleaming little gem landed in my mailbox this week - a Shutter Precision dynamo hub. It's astonishingly small and quite light.

So, it's taken a while to get organised, but now the transformation is complete. Ready to tour.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:12 am

I like my Son hub but would definitely consider one of these if I had to replace it. What's the price like on these hubs Ron? Are they serviceable if needed?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Andy wrote:I like my Son hub but would definitely consider one of these if I had to replace it. What's the price like on these hubs Ron? Are they serviceable if needed?
You can buy them locally for around $150 for the hub or $250 for a wheel. There is a two year warranty on the hub.
How often do SP hub dynamos require service?
SP hub dynamos employ sealed bearings that do not require service until the bearings are require replacement. We already have customers that have logged over 10,000 kms without any problems and we expect that under normal use the service life of these bearings should be well over 20,000 kms. Should they ever need servicing, they can be sent back to SP and replaced with new ones for roughly USD 30 including the cost of return postage.

Are SP hub dynamos user serviceable?
Alas, SP hub dynamos are not user serviceable and indeed we are aware of no hub dynamos that are based on manufacturer’s recommendations. Any attempt to service a SP hub dynamo will void its two-year warranty. We have received quite a number of requests from consumers on how they might service their hubs even accepting that attempting to do so would void their two-year warranty. They accept this risk thinking that this would save the need to disassemble and rebuild the wheel. Unfortunately, the design of SP hub dynamos like that of many other brands requires disassembly of the wheel for bearing replacement. Furthermore, the delicate generator mechanism housed within the hub body must be re-calibrated to tolerances of less than a millimetre each time bearings are replaced. Failure to carry out this operation properly (which is likely without expert knowledge, experience and tools), will generally result in catastrophic failure of the generator mechanism after a period of use. SP engineers have considered making their hubs user serviceable (with much prodding from IDC at the behest of our technically savvy testers). But the expertise and equipment required to carry out recalibration of the generator mechanism each time the bearings are replaced presents a technical hurdle that SP engineers, and indeed all other hub dynamo manufacturers we are aware of, have so far declined to attempt.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:02 pm

RonK wrote:
Andy wrote:I like my Son hub but would definitely consider one of these if I had to replace it. What's the price like on these hubs Ron? Are they serviceable if needed?
You can buy them locally for around $150 for the hub or $250 for a wheel. There is a two year warranty on the hub.
http://www.klite.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is the Australian distributor.

Andrew
Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks guys. Not that I'm a high mileage kind of rider but 20,000 kms doesn't sound like a great deal of k's to me. The price is good though compared to the SON but if you have to disassemble the wheel and post the hub for service then pay for new spokes and a rebuild it might not add up.

RonK

Dyno Hub Device Recharging

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:40 pm

Andy wrote:Thanks guys. Not that I'm a high mileage kind of rider but 20,000 kms doesn't sound like a great deal of k's to me. The price is good though compared to the SON but if you have to disassemble the wheel and post the hub for service then pay for new spokes and a rebuild it might not add up.
Apart from the price I see little difference between SP and Son. At half the price I'd be happy if the SP lasts half as long, but I suspect it will last as long as the Son.

It's not hard to find reports of Son bearings failing after less than 20k kms.

SP dynamo hubs are making inroads into the market. They're also sold as Supernova and Exposure.

One wonders how long Son will survive in the face of such competition, particularly one not constrained by German lighting regulations.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Well like any other company...they become more competitive price wise or develop their product even better...

How ever will Son face such stiff competition... [emoji57]